Should I take this to the agency or forget it?

I had an intercontinental BA flight cancelled for a strike (you may be aware of it, as it happened last September) and BA refused to pay any compensation because they say they warned everyone 14 days before the accident.
This was not my case though, as while BA may have warned my agency (Travel Up), Travel Up warned me only two days before the departure.
They have been super good to find an alternative without make me spend any extra money, but I am not sure if I should claim anyway for a compensation due to the disruption (after all I had to take a connection flight instead of the initial direct one), or forget it. Thoughts?

Comments

• ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So they've gone out of their way to find an alternative and you want Compo ??
  • nig3d
    nig3d Posts: 197
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    out of their way? Are you saying that they didn't have to do it? If the didn't do it and I had to found out on the day, with BA declining any responsibility, what would have happened?

I think they did a good job, but here I am asking if there are grounds for a case.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    do you know if TravelUp provided BA with your contact details or did BA only have TravelUps contact details? Whilst the airline is responsible for notifying passengers, they can only go by the contact information in the booking.
    An agent is not liable for EU261 compensation (only airlines) you would be asking for some sort of goodwill gesture based on them not passing the cancellation information to you in a timely manner
  • nig3d
    nig3d Posts: 197
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's actually very interesting to know, makes me think If I should go with an agent next time. I don't know if Travel Up gave my contact details to BA, but BA told me that they warned Travel Up 14 days before the departure (assuming it's true). The only thing I may do is to ask to Travel Up if they were actually warned on time.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why don't you send a Subject Access Request? This will tell you what info BA has on you. If they have your address, phone no or email then you could argue they should have notified you directly.
  • nig3d wrote: »
    That's actually very interesting to know, makes me think If I should go with an agent next time. I don't know if Travel Up gave my contact details to BA, but BA told me that they warned Travel Up 14 days before the departure (assuming it's true). The only thing I may do is to ask to Travel Up if they were actually warned on time.

If you go with an agent make sure it's a reputable agent. Tripadvisor is littered with complaints about Travel Up dire customer service.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums?q=travelup&scope=1&sub-search=Search&ff=10702&geo=1&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g1__2D__i10702__2D__Air__5F__Travel__2E__html

Cut out the middleman and book direct with the airline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure