Can my boss swear at me?

Options
Hi,
I'm after a bit of advice.
I have seen 1 post from a member stating that a boss has directly swore at them and this has happened to me.

The post i have seen says to speak with a higher member of staff, but in my case I can't.

Why can't i you ask?
Well, My boss is the company director of an independent business

He likes to run his mouth and as soon as someone does something that he doesn't like, he jumps on me/them with swear words.

Where can i go with this in legal terms as any complaints i make to the other 2 directors fall on deaf ears?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ljohn92 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm after a bit of advice.
    I have seen 1 post from a member stating that a boss has directly swore at them and this has happened to me.

The post i have seen says to speak with a higher member of staff, but in my case I can't.

Why can't i you ask?
    Well, My boss is the company director of an independent business

He likes to run his mouth and as soon as someone does something that he doesn't like, he jumps on me/them with swear words.

Where can i go with this in legal terms as any complaints i make to the other 2 directors fall on deaf ears?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Realistically? Nowhere!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This is one of those situations where it is unlikely you will win but if you do, you are going to be pushed out of the business. They will find anything and everything to get rid of you... 12 seconds late, that will be a warning/disciplinary.

I do not think there is a law to say someone can not swear at you, but it could fall under something like bullying.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet Gordon Ramsay's staff would say this...

Whether you can go anywhere with it would depend on who said what, why, what you thought of it and whether there's any specific "law" you can pursue.

In short: Bosses are people - and some people are just g0bshytes. In the main, if the boss is just a shouty loud mouth who is a nasty person, you'd best just find another job.

If the boss' swearing was of a type/nature/frequency that you felt you had a case, with evidences/diary that he'd broken some specific law you could pin it on, then you might have a case. But winning a case doesn't mean you "win" as it'd suck up your energy for a few quid and you'd still end up leaving.

No, it's not "legal". But do you want to fight him on something specific/illegal, or do you simply want to find another job and slide away quietly, leaving him to wallow in the mess you leave behind, which is his own fault, while you just wish he'd just die but never say it?
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Get your CV sorted and move on
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ljohn92 wrote: »

I used to work for someone just like this, it came in well once he had to protect us against a customer who was trying to stick a camera in our face - you either have to accept they have an intense personality or work elsewhere.
  • Ljohn92
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :)
    Looks like i need to get out of the hell hole!

Thanks again :)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't join the Armed Forces if you don't like being sworn/shouted at !
  • If he does it again tell him to eff off!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    Options
    If he does it again tell him to eff off!

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Best to stay on the moral high ground.....
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe learning not to over-react would be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure