Dentist Sedation

Options
I suffer from anxiety visiting the dentist. I am suffering from severe toothache. I went to dentist yesterday and she said I need my tooth out. She could of taken it out there and then but I said i wanted to be sedated. She understood and said she would refer me to dental hospital. She give me antibiotics for the infection in my gum but they dont seem to be working.. I'm in agony. I'm taking solpadine and ibroprohen but I'm worried I'm going to take too much. I cant stand the pain. What can I do for the pain?

Comments

• buyhighselllow
    Options
    Alternate your Salpodeine and Ibuprofen so 2 hours after one drug, take the other BUT do not exceed the maximum dose in 24 hours. The antibiotics take 24 hours to start to work. If the tooth is relatively straightforward to take out, which seeing as your dentist offered to do it on the spot I would assume it is..can you not get a one off course of oral sedation from your doctor/dentist to help you get it done sooner ? You would need someone to take you. Usually a dose the night before and prior to the visit.
    Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give the antibiotics a few days. They don't work instantly.

Alternate the tablets you're taking, but if you need them round the clock I would take one, then the other three hours later so you don't end up maxing out your daily dosage before the 24 hours is up.

An ice pack might help. Make sure you wrap it in something like a tea-towel so you don't freeze your face!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :wink:I must admit i dont understand.

You would rather go through days of agonising pain than spend just a few seconds having an extraction. Thats literally what it is.
    Injection, wait a couple of minutes, a quick twist and pull, thats it, pain free. You dont feel any pain and wont ever again. All you feel is a little parrick:rotfl:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    There is a good reason why medical/dental advice is not allowed.

Do not use clove oil , it can burn and destroy gum tissue sometimes so badly the tooth needs to come out.

Alternating painkillers like advised above can be dangerous for many people eg asthmatics should not take ibuprofen ,ask your dentist their advice on painkillers they know you , what medications you are on and what your medical history is.

Phone your dentist and ask their advice on how to help you.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    There is a good reason why medical/dental advice is not allowed.

Do not use clove oil , it can burn and destroy gum tissue sometimes so badly the tooth needs to come out.

Alternating painkillers like advised above can be dangerous for many people eg asthmatics should not take ibuprofen ,ask your dentist their advice on painkillers they know you , what medications you are on and what your medical history is.

Phone your dentist and ask their advice on how to help you.

OP did specify the painkillers they are already taking :)
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Op did not say if they were prescribed , if they were told to take them by their dentist etc or if they have just decided to take them themselves. Indeed one of the tablets is not usually suggested by dentists for various reasons.

Without knowing someone's medical history no one should be suggesting what medicines or how to take them, op should ask their own dentist.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Op did not say if they were prescribed , if they were told to take them by their dentist etc or if they have just decided to take them themselves. Indeed one of the tablets is not usually suggested by dentists for various reasons.

Without knowing someone's medical history no one should be suggesting what medicines or how to take them, op should ask their own dentist.

True, true. I guess I tend to assume people have made their own informed decisions but as a professional you undoubtedly see the reality. Thank you for being a voice of reason!
  • Dog_Lady_No_4
    Options
    I got a 10mg valium when i needed tooth out, cant remember much about it to be honest, was so quick. Tooth was out in 30 secs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure