Iphone Activation Lock

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    renegadefm wrote: »
    The price didnt come into question at the time because I assumed iphones are expencive, my knowledge was slim about iphones.
    Then a little research before buying would have been appropriate. Just checked a bona fide site that sells second hand iPhones and for £200 you could get an iPhone 8. An iPhone 6s would be £100 or so.

The activation lock feature is far from over the top, it's well implement feature that protects users data when a iPhone is lost or stolen. If it could be easily defeated then it would be of no use at all.
  • OP you bought an iPhone 5 for £200 without having a good play with it:eek:.....you just let the seller show you it powered up swipe a few apps,turn it off pack it in box and you then handed £200 over:rotfl:
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I believe there are methods to remove the activation lock but they are expensive and probably not worth it on a phone you have already spent £200 on.
    :beer:
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh well theres nothing I can do, I may aswell throw it in the bin.

You've been told multiple times to go back to the car boot sale to look for the seller. Do it several times, it's worth it if you think it's a genuine mistake.

And if you ever have your phone stolen, you'll be grateful that you're able to remotely wipe it and make it useless to whatever scumbag stole it. Apple or Android.
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I cant go back to the car boot because its hundreds of miles with no guarantee the seller would be there.
  • renegadefm wrote: »
    Oh well theres nothing I can do, I may aswell throw it in the bin. I was just hoping some wiz kid on here knew a way around this. I certainly cant find any info on google.

Keep it and try it from time to time, on the off-chance (assuming the seller was genuine) that they realise their error and remove it from their account? If I've understood the process correctly, it would work if they did that at any point in the future when reviewing the devices linked to their account.
  • renegadefm
    davidwatts, ok thanks.

Its a shame really cause they seemed lovely people. I doubt very much there was any foul play. The phone has been well looked after, its like new condition which is why I didnt question the price, they were apparently hundreds to buy new, but my downfall was I didnt realize it was such an old model.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its a shame really cause they seemed lovely people.

That lovely that they charged you over twice the going rate for an iphone 5. Even if it wasn't locked, they still would have done you out of over £100. Next time, at least buy from a 2nd hand phone store where the lockout would never have happened and the price might not have been quite so extortionate.
  • renegadefm
    Swipe, Like I said I was not very knowledgeable about iphone prices, my expencive mistake.

But I just read a story online thats enough to make you cry. Someone died in a road traffic accident and the person killed had all their family photos on their iphone and they couldn't be retrieved due to it being activation locked by the person that died, but the family were desperate to retrieve the photos but couldn't.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Someone died in a road traffic accident and the person killed had all their family photos on their iphone and they couldn't be retrieved due to it being activation locked by the person that died, but the family were desperate to retrieve the photos but couldn't.
    You either misread or the story was inaccurate, that would have been nothing to do with activation locking. It would have been the passcode that kept them out of the phone, again a necessary security and privacy feature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure