Phone scams

Options
2»

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is horrible. It's how these scammers operate , trying to get an emotional reaction, so you react
  • Teach her to use the answer phone, and when it is important she can pick up the receiver!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi, im sorry this has affected your mum like this :(

Just a little tip though - A scam caller isn't going to politely check if a target is on the TPS or not before they call !!

The TPS is only useful for stopping REPUTABLE companies from cold calling

It also doesn't work if someone is calling from abroad.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have TPS but still get app 6 scam callers per week. I have my own call blocker and so far have over 60 numbers blocked but the scammers just change to a different number. Latest call today was from someone from Sky protection when I stated we didn't have Sky they asked if we used to, call ended by me. Unfortunately I answered a questionnaire regarding my Morrisons points card a few weeks ago before I realised they were just phishing as my spam filter hadn't picked it up, I never normally get caught but now I'm paying the price for being careless.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2020 at 12:39AM
    Options
    I don't get these calls hardly ever. But I'm ex directory and have been for ever, and use a free fake ish number to give out to utilities etc as I don't trust they won't sell my number on.
    The number I give out let's them call me then tells they are " 2nd in the queue" etc eventually they give up and it messages me their number on my mobile.

I can't remember the last time I got a call so perhaps it works.
    But I do understand that elderly people can get very lonely..and a telephone call might be the only human contact they get.

Thats the sad bit.
    The choice is speak to no one, or don't answer the phone..hmm..
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I don't get these calls hardly ever. But I'm ex directory and have been for ever, and use a free fake ish number to give out to utilities etc as I don't trust they won't sell my number on.
    The number I give out let's them call me then tells they are " 2nd in the queue" etc eventually they give up and it messages me their number on my mobile.

I can't remember the last time I got a call so perhaps it works.
    But I do understand that elderly people can get very lonely..and a telephone call might be the only human contact they get.

Thats the sad bit.
    The choice is speak to no one, or don't answer the phone..hmm..

We're ex-directory too.
    We have very few unsolicited calls.
    We're very careful who we give our number out to and have been for many years.
    Ditto our mobile numbers.
    We're also very careful to tick/untick boxes when we order something.

I agree.
    It's very sad that it's necessary to have to 'educate' our parents to change their life-long habits to keep them financially safe.
  • Lece2
    Lece2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi, im sorry this has affected your mum like this :(

Just a little tip though - A scam caller isn't going to politely check if a target is on the TPS or not before they call !!

The TPS is only useful for stopping REPUTABLE companies from cold calling

Thanks. I am aware of this, hence my reference to autodials. I was just making it clear that I have taken that action.
  • Lece2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Teach her to use the answer phone, and when it is important she can pick up the receiver!

Thanks. She knows that she can screen calls if she wants but she doesn't want to do that. To be honest, if she didn't pick up something quick enough or if they didn't leave a message, it would worry her more as she would be concerned that she had missed a call from the hospital or something. Her phone is constantly going as we have a big family so knowing my mum more than anyone and being as close as we are, it would get on her nerves.

I think my post has been interpreted as me needing advice, whereas it's actually okay and my mum is alright. I just really wanted to raise awareness of what age can do to us and its reaction on our bodies when our minds are perfectly capable of recognising scams when they happen. My mum is very "young-minded" for her age, in fact. I just found it interesting that we're all very savvy now but when we get to that age, our bodies may also give off that reaction then. I think it's just worth bearing in mind, from a pensioner's perspective (i.e. my mum).
  • Lece2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for all your comments.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are ex-directory and always have been, but it’s my belief that the calls we were getting were randomly generated by a computer. Unfortunately when you or your machine answer, the computer knows it’s a live number and then the problem is self-perpetuating.

As I said in my earlier post, Sky Talk Shield seems to have stopped the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure