Yet another Windoze 7 PC query - sorry!

Comments

• ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, going to start this morning, so would be great if I can get answers to the following first, PLEASE :)

Using the following guide:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

1) Windows 10 upgrade path - which one do I choose? Home Premium (original) or Professional (added later via dvd download from someone on here)

2) is it a UEFI or Legacy BIOS I go for?
    If BIOS (which I think might be the one) do I ignore the 'temporarily disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot' instructions

3) Step 6: can I copy this to the SAME USB as the Bootable Windows 10

Thank you in advance :):)
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1) Your upgrade route is determined by the version of Windows you have now - 7 Home can go to Windows 10 Home and 7 Pro is obviously Professional.

2) Doesn't say anywhere on that link about "UEFI or Legacy BIOS"? But if in doubt, legacy.

3) No. See step 8.
  • ih8stress
    Thanks, @Neil Jones for your reply.

1) Fingers crossed that Professional works for me then :)

2) this is from Step 2. If you click on the link it takes you to instructions on how to create a bootable usb flash drive, then Option 1: use Media Creation Tool.

3) Noted, thanks
  • ih8stress
    Ordered the SSD Drive and also internal bay enclosure + cables. Not sure what size my bays are until I open the pc up but I will need the cables anyway.

Will be doing the bootable flash drive shortly.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2020 at 2:03PM
    ih8stress wrote: »
    Ordered the SSD Drive and also internal bay enclosure + cables. Not sure what size my bays are until I open the pc up but I will need the cables anyway.

Will be doing the bootable flash drive shortly.
    The PC should have a spare 3.5 bay, specs are here https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-560_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Do you still have the key for W7 pro?
    (DONT post it here)
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • ih8stress
    edited 13 January 2020 at 2:53PM
    :hello:Hi, DCM

I did try and check Dell specifics via my service tag to try and find out about the drive sizes but it was all gobbledegook letters and numbers!

I need the cables anyway, so never mind. Can always keep the spare one incase I know anyone who wants one.

I have got the key (25 numbers on pc label) BUT it is for the original Home Premium. Does this mean I should download Windows 10 Home Premium instead? Luckily not started yet.

Thanks for the link, you are MUCH better at finding things than me. It looks useful, so will keep a note of it :)
  • 🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • ih8stress
    thanks for the links - the 2nd one sent me to an invalid link or something so I closed it.

With the first one, do I just click on 'download produkey for x64'?

I'm not really fussed about having Professional to be honest, so wouldn't it just be easier to do the bootable usb for Home Premium as I have that key already?

Hope I don't sound ungrateful - not my intention at all, just getting abit 'stressy' with the thought of doing it all
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2020 at 3:39PM
    Yes , well it is up to you, but pro will give you more options. The usb should be the same, can’t check easily at the moment, using mobile. Sorry the second link was plagiarised by google.
    https://www.magicaljellybean.com/
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • ih8stress
    Don't worry about it DCM - I always appreciate anyone who gives their time and knowledge to help me out of these situations :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure