Yet another Windoze 7 PC query - sorry!

Hi,

can't believe I have only just found out this week about Windows 7 finally ending support :eek:

Reading some threads on here, the general consensus seems to be to buy an SSD drive to create a fresh install of Windoze 10 on it, rather than spend loads on a new pc or laptop.

And NO, I am NOT interested in Linux instead, thanks.

Regulars will know that I am not very techie at all, and cope best with visual, step-by-step guides whenever possible.

My pc is a Dell Inspiron 560, 64 bit. Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1.
Pentium Dual-Core CPU
E5400 @ 270GHz
4.00 GB Ram

Firstly, I will look on youtube to see how easy it may be for me to attempt to add an ssd as I am not confident at all with messing about, though I can just about wield a screwdriver :D

If I kept my old hdd installed - I imagine I would need some sort of cable with the SSD too?

The wimp in me would prefer an external SSD drive as it sounds a lot easier BUT these seem to be alot more expensive and would then need a cage or something - not to mention space on my small workstation.

Secondly, although my desktop pc has legit Windows 7, this was upgraded (from Home to Pro) in 2016 via a download dvd (OEM) on here from a member helping me with pc issues at the time. So I am not sure if I can get a free install for this?
I have a sticker on my pc for the original.

Sorry for all the questions and LONG post.

Comments

• ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Aarrgghhh! any tips on finding a good youtube guide as just checked and it is a minefield, trying to find a good and easy one to follow. Thanks :)
  • Go to dell and enter you service tag, it will tell you how to find the maintenance doc. Put you service tag on here then we can look too.
    You may need a cable but you could do fresh install onto an ssd by moving the current cables as a first step.
    Many on here will help , happy new year kiddo :j
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    How did you manage to ignore all of those warnings to update to win10?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • ih8stress
    edited 12 January 2020 at 8:06PM
    :wave:
    Go to dell and enter you service tag, it will tell you how to find the maintenance doc. Put you service tag on here then we can look too.
    You may need a cable but you could do fresh install onto an ssd by moving the current cables as a first step.
    Many on here will help , happy new year kiddo :j

Hello, my friend :) Long time since I've been called 'kiddo' hee hee!

Just put my service tag into Dell but can't see where to find the info needed. Tried looking on the Dell computers tested for Windows 10 list but none say Inspiron 560 - they all seem to have 4 numbers, not 3?

Also they probably have the original Home version and I am now on the Pro version.

Would this be a good SSD Drive to order? (suggested by Everywhere to someone else)

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/patriot-memory-burst-ssd-solid-state-drive-2-5-sata-iii-internal-240gb-pbu240gs25ssdr

Dell Tag is: 2H8KP4J

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and hope you have a brilliant New Year too :)
  • ih8stress
    How did you manage to ignore all of those warnings to update to win10?

Life, grandkids, MBing getting in the way - apart from that NO idea:o
  • 🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • ih8stress
    Many thanks, DCM - I will have a look now. I need to get some dinner myself soon.

Bon appetit!
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ih8stress, I am more wimp than you!

About a year ago, I bought SSD 500GB and cage. Then gave it to a local computer shop. He charged me £50 to install everything from Hard Drive to SSD and took out the old Hard Drive.

I upgraded my Win7 to W10 free from Microsoft site two weeks ago.

As a wimp, I had to pay ££££.
  • ih8stress
    I haven't done it yet @tazwhoever, hee hee!

It is a battle between my fear of doing anything techie, leading to hours of stress versus having to fork out for money I can't afford to waste on the 'easier' option.

I really admire and envy people who 'get it' but I just don't - no matter how hard I try to.
  • ih8stress
    Can anyone confirm if the SSD Drive in my #5 post above will be suitable for my pc please.

If so, I will go ahead and order it. Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure