iPhone stolen - what do I do now ?

Options
Happy new year!

I left my iPhone in a taxi on Saturday - when I realised I called the mobile company (it is sim only so the phone belongs to me) they blocked the sim and as I had the imei number - the handset also. I also put in phone stolen on find my iPhone.
Whoever has it now has obviously unlocked it and put their own SIM card can see the handset is clearly being used around the kings cross area.
Is there anything else I can do? I don’t know whether to send them a message asking them to take it to the nearest police station - but then they will probably just dump it and have the number of the phone I am using now?
I honestly don’t know how some people sleep at night :mad:

Comments

• Jimmithecat
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »

Thank you - I hadn’t done this as it would deactivate find my iPhone - but actually having this on is doing me no good anyway - I’ll do this now thanks::beer:
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you - I hadn’t done this as it would deactivate find my iPhone - but actually having this on is doing me no good anyway - I’ll do this now thanks::beer:

Doesn't the same thing locate it?
    Your phone wasn't stolen you've lost it!
    I re located a previous phone that had dropped out of my pocket 4 miles away , I never for a moment assumed it was stolen , as a person we can make errors.
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Doesn't the same thing locate it?
    Your phone wasn't stolen you've lost it!
    I re located a previous phone that had dropped out of my pocket 4 miles away , I never for a moment assumed it was stolen , as a person we can make errors.

That is very true - I did lose it - as I did not find it and it was not handed in to police though would you not say the person using it now is using a stolen iPhone ?
    Anyway thanks for pointing out the semantics of my post - most useful
  • DUTR
    Options
    That is very true - I did lose it - as I did not find it and it was not handed in to police though would you not say the person using it now is using a stolen iPhone ?
    Anyway thanks for pointing out the semantics of my post - most useful

How are you sure someone is using it?
    I found an iPhone once, kept it all day waiting for someone to call it so they can pick it up, they didn't , after a week or so I tracked the owner via facebook and messaged them, told them which station the handset would be at to collect it (they had the cheek to say it was 5 tube stops from them!)
    Have you called it (before you got it blocked) to retrieve it?
    Believe it or not , not everyone desires an iPhone .
    Maybe someone has seen it and just left it, they are not duty bound to you.
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    How are you sure someone is using it?
    I found an iPhone once, kept it all day waiting for someone to call it so they can pick it up, they didn't , after a week or so I tracked the owner via facebook and messaged them, told them which station the handset would be at to collect it (they had the cheek to say it was 5 tube stops from them!)
    Have you called it (before you got it blocked) to retrieve it?
    Believe it or not , not everyone desires an iPhone .
    Maybe someone has seen it and just left it, they are not duty bound to you.

i assumed it is being used as it has a different phone number - and as it has finger print unlock they must have by-passed this and put in another sim - it is moving about quite a bit - nail bar, gym, pub so is with someone.
    If it didn’t have another number on I would think it was reasonable to suggest it was waiting to be contacted.
    With the find my iPhone alert a message comes up with another phone number to call to let me know it’s been found and this has not been done.
    No I haven’t called it - that is what I was saying I am not sure about on my original post
    Thanks
  • DUTR
    Options
    i assumed it is being used as it has a different phone number - and as it has finger print unlock they must have by-passed this and put in another sim - it is moving about quite a bit - nail bar, gym, pub so is with someone.
    If it didn’t have another number on I would think it was reasonable to suggest it was waiting to be contacted.
    With the find my iPhone alert a message comes up with another phone number to call to let me know it’s been found and this has not been done.
    No I haven’t called it - that is what I was saying I am not sure about on my original post
    Thanks

I guess people live different lifestyles , nail bars are not cheap I understand and they type that frequents them often if not always already has a phone.
    I guess then all you can do is seek to replace the handset whether by insurance claim or out of your savings.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    Options
    and as it has finger print unlock they must have by-passed this
    Highly unlikely, even the FBI can't unlock iPhones, chances some random thief doing it is beyond impossible.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could txt them offering a £50 return fee.
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    Just a quick update.
    I texted asking for the phone back and also set off the ringing sound - there was no response (not surprisingly)
    I remote wiped it as Neil Jones suggested.
    The police website suggest registering all devices with https://www.immobilise.com/
    I have now done this with all the family phones/laptops - including the IMEI number of each.
    They can be reported lost/stolen on here and apparently this is the check used when equipment is re-sold.
    I assume I will not get the phone back now but thank you so much for all the great advice offered here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure