PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2020 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £7.90 spent today on groceries. Did an online shop the rest was on non food items. Total for the month so far 61.96/200
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you put me down for £150 for Jan please? I want to get my grocery spends a lot lower, but have been in India for a month, n need to restock everything:p
    Happy New Year everyone :beer:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Can you put me down for £150 for Jan please? I want to get my grocery spends a lot lower, but have been in India for a month, n need to restock everything:p
    Happy New Year everyone :beer:

Welcome back from your adventures candygirl :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    olaf2014 wrote: »
    Just done a list of items in cupboards and freezer was shocked with what I had one of them was 27 tins of tuna yes 27 ��

Im now starting my meal planner for the next 4 weeks going to try something new each week instead of the same meals all the time getting stuck in a rut with meals any suggestions? IV a 7 year old won't eat alot of meat and a 2 year old (milk free)

Check out the recipes that follow Post 1 of the thread each month - loads of economical recipes in different categories
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Adding €82 to my total, thanks to a "quick run through" Mr T's.
    Refilled some staples in the pantry after the holidays, plus perishables and a couple of big packs of pull ups for small boy. Potty training time!!

We've had a takeaway this week too, out of pocket money, as I've got bloomin' tonsillitis. Great way to start the new year!
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • SummerDays
    Options
    Finally had time to check out receipts and tally spends to date.
    £10 at butchers for beef for weekend roast dinner
    £2.45 A1di for some of this past weeks super six offers
    £34.05 at M'sons on 2/3 separate shops - for food over weekend and to start the week, veg for Sunday roast and top ups of bread and milk.

£46.50/£500 so far. Hmmmmm, maybe I didn't need such a high budget for this month. We shall see, as still a few bits left over from Christmas. I will keep tracking, and must meal plan ahead for the next couple of weeks to end of month using up what we have in stock. I must add this to my signature.

I have taken cash out of bank for the months groceries, now that I have cancelled my A5da delivery pass. I am finding it much easier to manager so far - and also means I don't have to spend £40 each time, as that was the minimum spend for a delivery. Does everyone else find cash easier, or perhaps it is just making me more mindful of what I am spending?
    SPC13 #059SPC14 #026SPC15 #026SPC16 #026 SPC17 #026
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    Currently at £105.86!! :eek:
    Feel things must be getting more expensive and that my lot are eating more too.. :(
    Picked up a few items today yet have noticed when cooking lunch that I’m out of my staples.. oats, honey, nuts?? How has that happened.. grr:o
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    €3.10 spent today

Needed sweet potato, bread and soft cheese for today. Nothing to tempt me reduced today. There was chicken but I’ve got 2 big breasts still in the freezer

€259.47 left

€3.64 today

Needed eggs and cheese as we had less in than I thought. Nothing reduced to tempt me. Lidl have got some good offers next week so next week will be a higher spend

€255.83 left
    :money::rotfl::T
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i went and visited my favourite fruit and veg shop yesterday first time since christmas i got some nice oranges and blueberries so didnt go mad

have spent the am rooting about as im on a use it up mission i have way too much food in this house and need to rotate the stockpike a bit...i now have 5 panettone that i have picked up reduced so need to start eating them up not really a chore

also need to add up spends...hope everyone is doing well x
    onwards and upwards
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £9 spend today whilst out getting a sympathy card and my mind wasn’t on the task. I’ve to only go to the 20th so still hoping to make a good saving this month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure