Do you keep your Christmas cards? If so, what do you do with them?

MSE_Molly
MSE_Molly Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
Hi everyone :j

This subject intrigues me, as there seems to be so many different views on it. So I'd like to know once and for all... what do we all do with our Christmas cards?!?

When they first arrive, my family has the tradition of displaying them linked together with staples in a chain down the stair banister. I always feel festive when I see them on display! Then after Christmas, my dad always boxes them up and pulls them out again the following year to make sure he doesn't miss anyone off our own Christmas card list - which is very dedicated if you ask me!

Are you a stickler for tradition? Or are you one of the many people now opting out of sending them altogether for environmental reasons?

I even know some people who just throw them away as soon as they open them :eek: But who here recycles theirs?

Maybe you give them a new life as present tags, like MSE Tine does each year!

Let us know below :T

- MSE Molly
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Due to Christmas card ban (on my side) I now only get 12-15 cards, not like the 50 or so in the past.
    I save the very nicest ones (I'm thinking printed from a painting by the sender or similar ) and they stay up for quite a while - never mind the rules of 12th night. This year I have a delightful Christmas Rose design- that will stay up! It might even end up being framed..

Very standard cheapie cards might go in the recycling bin or they might join all the card backs to be used as reinforcements for my own card making!

The fronts of 'tasteful'designs get saved for sending/ writing messages out of season.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Have all the MSE bods been told to think of a Christmas question?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    MSE_Molly wrote: »
    Hi everyone :j

This subject intrigues me, as there seems to be so many different views on it. So I'd like to know once and for all... what do we all do with our Christmas cards?!?

When they first arrive, my family has the tradition of displaying them linked together with staples in a chain down the stair banister. I always feel festive when I see them on display! Then after Christmas, my dad always boxes them up and pulls them out again the following year to make sure he doesn't miss anyone off our own Christmas card list - which is very dedicated if you ask me!

Are you a stickler for tradition? Or are you one of the many people now opting out of sending them altogether for environmental reasons?

I even know some people who just throw them away as soon as they open them :eek: But who here recycles theirs?

Maybe you give them a new life as present tags, like MSE Tine does each year!

Let us know below :T

- MSE Molly
    Re the bit in bold:
    I just have a Christmas card list that I refer to each year.
    Not dedicated at all - just organised.

I send less than 30 cards a year.

As soon as New Year has come and gone, they're down and recycled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure