We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Advice on young tree maintenance

Options
DD265
DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I've got a young bay tree - about 14" tall - with a 4" sucker on it. Both currently appear to be thriving. I'd quite like to move the sucker to it's own pot, as I started off with 5 bay cuttings and I'm down to 1, but originally wanted a pair. Am I right that this is best done in the spring now?

Similarly, I have a dwarf peach tree which has gone a bit nuts, forking off into only two branches and I think one of them will be too long for it to support. I was planning to cut it down to above a bud - another job for spring?

Generally, where's a good place/books to look for advice on young trees? Most things I find online seem to be more about maintaining established trees.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's OK to prune most trees in winter, but the general rule with the plum family is to leave alone until the sap is rising and warmer weather helps the wound to heal. I'm not sure about peaches, but plums may have disease enter the plant through pruning wounds.

If the bay tree sucker has roots, it can be detached any time and potted-up. I've also had success getting bay to root over winter in a frame.

Sorry, I can't help with the books.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's some helpful information on the RHS website : https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=251
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure