2020 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Surjit101
    Options
    Please add me to the list.
    I have become way too lax in my spending and am sure I could be doing more to clear off some of my credit cards.
    ��
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in again - and hoping to be more active in the challenge for 2020. 2019 has shot past, and I really don't think I've done particularly well (although I am holding my head above water despite my car having needed a number of repairs this year).

I need to get some savings sorted, as I was told a couple of years ago my central heating boiler probably won't last much longer and the car is being nursed from one MOT to the next. My next bill is going to be a new battery for my house alarm though. When we had a power cut a couple of weeks ago it went off immediately (back up battery should stop that), and the battery's been making some high pitched hums since then which I can hear from my bedroom and is causing me problems sleeping. It's coming up to 18 years old, so I guess it's probably done it's time?!?!?

In 2020 I want to make serious inroads into my personal food mountain (I'd love to be able to get all my ambient groceries into my kitchen cupboards - and even then I'd have a lot for a singleton as I have a large family kitchen!), but I do need to train myself to stop buying things just because they're on a good deal and will get used 'eventually' :o I also have quite a stockpile of toiletries and cleaning products (mostly bought on special deals or store closing down discounts), so shouldn't have to buy much along those lines (I do need a box of washing powder, but my last box from A1di has probably lasted me 12 months so it won't break the bank). And I want to really, really take serious steps down the dejunking road - hopefully bringing in some extra pennies while I'm doing it.

Things are still manic at work.

An office transfer in July means I no longer have commuting costs (I can walk/run/cycle) and the commute is quicker (if I use the direct route), as well as not being at the mercy of road works/snarl ups because of accidents etc.. It also means I can fit in additional exercise (brisk walking, slow running or cycling) as my commute instead of needing additional time for it - all those things are good :) Since my office transfer I've lost 11lb, and the only thing that's changed is that my commute is no longer done in the car!

But in the 20 weeks I've been there they've changed our start & finish times twice (so I still haven't learned them, and have to check a note in my phone every day!), and they're now talking of changing contracts for a good number of us as there are 7 different contacts running in the office (25 staff I think) with each of those contracts being for a different number of hours. Rumour I heard today is that anyone under 31 hours a week (I'm currently on 27.5) will be made up to 31 which will take us down to 4 contracts. Whilst the extra money (finger in air calculation says £30/week take home) will be useful, I really don't want to be working more hours by starting 40-50 minutes earlier every morning :(

Since the office transfer I no longer get 2 days a week off work (which were very, very rarely 2 days together), but instead I work 5 weeks of 6 days and then get a week off instead. This is working well for me, and is the main reason I wanted a transfer to this office above the others I could commute to without a car (it's the only office in the area that operates this way, and there aren't many left in the country do it). Single days got lost (by the time I got up and organised to do anything it was time to be clearing up again!), but with a full week I can do several hours a day at a task and start to see a difference - and I can even go up to my parents place in the Lakes (which they can no longer cope with) and do jobs up there for them.

I'm next off Christmas week, then I have a week of annual leave late January and a rest week 2 weeks later (both of which I plan to use for jobs around home), then I have 2 weeks off together in March (one leave, one a rest week), and plan to spend a few days during that time in the Lakes (spring clean and some minor repair jobs - such as a curtain rail that's coming down which my fella plans to sort out).

I'm hoping that across those 5 weeks I should manage to get a reasonably accurate food inventory completed (started it on my week off earlier this month, so I already have a good selection of stock pile put to one side to use between now and the end of March). Christmas week I plan to do a full stocktake of my freezers (again), and this time I need to train myself to keep it updated (only takes a minute or two each time I take something out/put something it, but I always leave it until 'later' and then forget).

And I also need to set 5-10 minutes aside each evening to update my accounts, as trying to do it weekly (which is a habit I quickly fall into) sees me losing patience and very quickly giving up completely. I think I'll probably have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me, which is working for several other daily/weekly tasks I have to do.
    Cheryl
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm in and will come out of lurkdom for 2020! :o
    I've got to go through my statements to see what I have spent on fuel (oil and electricity), food (that may be tricky but I'll be able to get a reasonable guesstimate from them), insurances and all other spending categories before I can decide on a budget but I am going to do that this weekend :D
    I want to reduce figures by at least 5% on the variables- I can't do anything with the static stuff council tax, water rates ( four adults in the house; lots of water usage so not cheaper to have a meter) and current payment agreements but I can reduce costs in other areas of expenditure and that will be my focus for the next year. ;)
    I have a number of things to save for and things to pay off too - so I'll have a number of different 'pots' on the go! All savings made will be used to help fill those pots :money:
    I'm looking forward to sharing a frugal 2020 with everyone and reading the journeys! :D
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2019 at 10:21AM
    Options
    I am in for 2020. Having come back to posting regularly I finally feel like I am getting back on track and want to keep it that way next year too.

I have already had a chat with OH about finances next year and there are a couple of goals we want to make progress on. One is our FIRE fund and the other is to start saving to give our 3 nieces cash gifts for their 18th birthdays. The first one is 6 years away and the youngest is 11 years away so we have plenty time. We don't have any kids of our own and feel like we'd really like to do this for them as they decide about college/jobs/driving lessons etc.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Count me "in", please. I'll think about goals, etc, later.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Dave_Saver
    Options
    I joined part way through 2019 and cleared all my debts, for me 2020 will be about saving a deposit for a house. Hopefully I can keep up the frugal living throughout 2020
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 28 November 2019 at 1:19PM
    Options
    I'll definitely be giving this a go in 2020:j

I'm debt free at long last (I thought the day would never come:eek:) but now I have disposable income again I'm not sure I can trust myself to continue being really frugal:o. Devising a new budget will be a poser as I'll be cutting myself a little bit of slack after so much self-imposed austerity. I want to save the maximum amount I can this coming year. It's not for anything specific, just for the feeling of security that an emergency savings cushion will give me. I can't remember far enough back to when I had any savings:o.

I'll look forward to meeting lots of likeminded people along the way and gaining some good ideas to help things along. Good Luck, everyone:beer:
  • ejury
    ejury Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can i join please?
  • I would definitely like to join in again in 2020. I found this challenge so helpful in 2019 that I managed to finally get a new washing machine, which I have been saying I needed to replace for at least 5 years, and I managed to pay for a week away. I doubt I would have managed either of those things if I hadn't joined this.

I have two main goals for 2020, firstly to save up enough money to take my sister and her two boys on holiday. Her boys are both at school now so you can imagine the extra money we now have find to pay for a holiday in school holiday periods. It will be just a simple caravan holiday on the coast somewhere but it will be a real treat for them and my sister. Secondly, I want to save a decent emergency fund as I don't have much of one at the moment.

I look forward to 2020 frugaling.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi I only joined in a couple of months ago, but I'm doing better already.

I'm definitely up for 2020. No debts but the car is getting a bit long in the tooth, I would like a holiday and to increase my savings.

No pressure then. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport