MSE Poll: Have you haggled on the high street in the last year?

Options
Poll started 19 November 2019
Haggling isn't just reserved for call centres and market stalls, some even do it at high street chains. If you have, did you succeed? Whether it's asking 'em to throw in extras or negotiating a discount, let us know. Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Jeremy_Boden
    Options
    Sad to see people haggling at John Lewis, who already offer such good quality at decent prices.

Cheap prices tends to give cheap quality.
    e.g. M&S used be a quality shop - not any more.
  • AnxiousTheElephant
    Options
    I'm shocked people would haggle at charity shops!!!
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options

Depends on the circumstances.

Someone who's haggling on a reasonably priced product because they're a lowlife who sees nothing wrong with screwing a charity is very different to someone haggling because the charity shop have genuinely overpriced the product in question.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We went to the cheese department in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago. They had some new products including an individually wrapped artisan cheese that cost £5 something.

OH asked if we could have one for free as we were unable to taste it. They said “yes, our pleasure”.

That’s what I call customer service :D
  • P0123
    P0123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sad to see people haggling at John Lewis, who already offer such good quality at decent prices.

Cheap prices tends to give cheap quality.
    e.g. M&S used be a quality shop - not any more.
    Jeremy Boden

Are you being serious? John Lewis is far from offering "decent prices" with many of their stock. As the documentary showed, they don't always offer the best prices, or price-matches.

I only visit our John Lewis when the sales are on.
  • P0123
    P0123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "AnxiousTheElephant"

I completely agree!

I am a great fan of Charity Shops, and I have worked in them, as well, and I have been horrified by the amount of people that have the brass neck to come in and say "I'll give you £x for this."!

First, you don't TELL someone what you "want to do", and secondly, many Charity shops have overheads that take a good percentage of their takings; this may include staffing, when they cannot staff their premises solely on volunteers, much needed storage facilities, costs of van collections/deliveries, "marketing", volunteers' expenses, amongst many more, even before using their fund-raising towards cancer research, medical facilities, therapies and hopefully cures, etc!

As I said to previous "mickey-takers", "... what you don't want to pay for this item is the amount you are taking away from the Charity's funds, and maybe someone's life-saving treatment … "!

Only those without a conscience can possibly attempt to take money away from the Charities if and when buying in their shops.

True, some "new goods" sometimes seem more costly than anticipated, and the odd secondhand item may be accidentally priced higher than it should be, but try volunteering there for a week and you might see how it happens.
  • apb123
    apb123 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't ask, you don't get. As long as it is done politely with a smile on your face there should be no problem.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback