Which is the best private healthcare?

Hello

I had a severe chest infection and my GP required an x-ray urgently. The hospital said the results will be ready in 1-4 weeks! The attitude I got from the GP secretaries was "that's how NHS works, cancer patients wait 2 weeks for their x-ray".

It seems people survive by pure luck with NHS. The less lucky go early and uncared.

Is there a private healthcare provider that is serious? I.e. not having to wait 8h to be seen at A&E? And provides wide range of care?

Also, how much should I expect to pay per month and is there a way that I don't pay the stupid NHS instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Hello

I had a severe chest infection and my GP required an x-ray urgently. The hospital said the results will be ready in 1-4 weeks! The attitude I got from the GP secretaries was "that's how NHS works, cancer patients wait 2 weeks for their x-ray".

It seems people survive by pure luck with NHS. The less lucky go early and uncared.

Is there a private healthcare provider that is serious? I.e. not having to wait 8h to be seen at A&E? And provides wide range of care?

Also, how much should I expect to pay per month and is there a way that I don't pay the stupid NHS instead?

Thanks!

You'll pay into the NHS even if you have health insurance and never use the NHS.

Do t think private healthcare includes A&E care.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I don't really think you understand how healthcare is organised in this country.

Private healthcare is useful if you can't afford the waiting times that the NHS often throws up.

You won't however, get cover for any preexisting conditions.

Another thing about private hospitals, is that they rarely have a Dr there 24 hours a day. If some complication occurred if you were staying in one, an ambulance would be called, and you'd be shipped off to the nearest available NHS A&E and then admitted to an NHS ward. Private hospitals are basically hotels with operating theatres where the food & telly is better.

As said before, if you have private healthcare insurance, you still pay tax, so are still paying for the NHS. This is good, as you will still need it.

If you have private health insurance, and need an operation, the private wards of the NHS hospital are by far the best places to get it done.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    So I cannot see a doctor from 8am-10pm without having to wait 6h at the a&e lounge?

I don't mind to call at 10am and tell me to come at 6pm and be seen immediately, but I do mind that I have to wait 6h at the a&e lounge while I am in a horrible condition.

Will private hospitals do the same job as the a&e like blood tests, electrocardiogram, examination, x-rays, etc?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2019 at 5:21AM
    You won't see a private doctor in an emergency capacity. You can see them for specific ailments with specific consultants with a booked appointments or you can see a GP

You can't ring and say I think I want a echo at 7am!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Any private hospital I’ve been a patient in, and there have been several, has definitely had 24 hour doctors! Not the consultant but house doctors - probably equivalent of NHS registrars.

I’m in London and we do have a few private A and Es too though you need to know where they are, as well as private GPs and I’ve had same day X rays and MRIs privately when I’ve seen the consultant and he’s thought I needed one. May be different regionally but this is what it’s like in London.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It is different outside London
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am struggling to understand why you were in A&E with a cough???
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    private health insurance is often confused with private health care - you are buying a policy to cover you for unforseen ailments. A& E situations are not covered. If you have something specific (eg gallstones that require removal) then you have an appointment with a consultant, then agree a date for operation, then go into the hospital for the procedure. Everything is by appointment, there is no 'fast service' for x-rays that I know of, if your condition requires one, then again the consultant will organise it and it will take a few days. The other thing is that there is usually no 24 hr medical cover; all the doctors are there by appointment and are self employed so are busy in the consulting rooms earning fees, not treating emergency cases.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HappyUser wrote: »
    So I cannot see a doctor from 8am-10pm without having to wait 6h at the a&e lounge?

I don't mind to call at 10am and tell me to come at 6pm and be seen immediately, but I do mind that I have to wait 6h at the a&e lounge while I am in a horrible condition.

Will private hospitals do the same job as the a&e like blood tests, electrocardiogram, examination, x-rays, etc?

A&E isn't an airport - there is no 'lounge'. It's a waiting area where people like you with non-life threatening conditions can wait while more urgent cases take priority. If you don't like that, find a local GP who takes private patients.

As for private health insurance - do a bit of googling. You keep asking questions which you could easily research for yourself.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you go to a & e and need an xray or scan, you will get one as soon as possible. If you go to a & e with a chest infection, you will get an xray or scan when there is an appointment available. Being in a horrible condition isn't an accident or an emergency so you shouldn't even be at a & e so there really is no need for you wait for 6 hours is there ?

You could pay for a private appointment with a doctor if you feel the need. I have no words for people who call the NHS "stupid"

I have private medical insurance so have experience of both, they're both fantastic, so it's your choice. I know where i'd go in an emergency, it wouldn't be to a private doctor or hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure