What to do when someone dies - new guide feedback

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh, if only this had been available in November when my mum died.

The forumites did a great job supporting me through the grief and dealing with the estate, and Google was my friend, but this is a REALLY clear guide which takes in most of the scenarios which you will have to encounter when faced with a loved ones death. All the information you need in one place rather than one thing here, another there.

Plus, I felt awful ringing round for funeral quotes - good to know others are still MSE at that difficult time - my sister thought I was heartless, but I knew Mum would approve as she was the one who taught me the MSE way long before I'd heard of Martin Lewis

Well done MSE. A very sensitive and detailed document that will, I'm sure, help many.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • kevpc
    kevpc Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sorry if this sounds like a poor suggestion and/or i have missed a link. i would be very glad to have a printable guide to help with all the steps. i am lucky enough to still have both parents alive, but being in their mid-eighties, i am expecting the worse all the time. i wont have a clue what to do or who to contact for help. something to refer to so as to try to ensure no steps are missed would be a great help.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    csreader wrote: »
    (3) There is a legal process called a "deed of variation" which allows the family to re-write the will, so long as it's done within two years of the death. The major proviso is that all the beneficiaries must agree to it.

As I understand it, it's only the beneficiaries who are affected by the changes who have to agree to the DOV.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The section on property is incomplete and as a result potentialy very misleading.

Even with Joint ownership 1/2 the value of the house belongs to the estate.

The spouse exemption is seperate.

If there are debt the house can still be seen to be part of the estate(the law was changed).

Why use split ownership it should be tenants in common.
    IHT is only relevent on the total amount of the estate after exemptions.

also if the spouse inherits the exemption applies.

those are the obvious ones
  • Hi all,

Just to say a huge thanks for all your feedback and words of support on What to do when someone dies so far - it's really useful to get so many different views on this, and we've taken them all on board. Also thanks for posting your personal experiences on such a difficult topic, and well done for having the courage to do so - your experiences will help others to realise they're not alone too.

I've seen some of you have posted about getting a downloadable PDF version of the guide. We're looking into this, but in the meantime, a quick way to print the guide is:

1) Scroll to top of the guide.
    2) At the top left, just below the green sign-up box, there's a small grey 'Print' button.
    3) Click to print as normal (if you want the extra text inside the blue '+' dropdowns to print too, just scroll down the guide and click to open these before printing).

I hope this helps, and thanks again to all those who've posted (or will post) feedback - let's get this subject into the open.

MSE Rose
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MSE_Rose wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to say a huge thanks for all your feedback and words of support on What to do when someone dies so far - it's really useful to get so many different views on this, and we've taken them all on board. Also thanks for posting your personal experiences on such a difficult topic, and well done for having the courage to do so - your experiences will help others to realise they're not alone too.

I've seen some of you have posted about getting a downloadable PDF version of the guide. We're looking into this, but in the meantime, a quick way to print the guide is:

1) Scroll to top of the guide.
    2) At the top left, just below the green sign-up box, there's a small grey 'Print' button.
    3) Click to print as normal (if you want the extra text inside the blue '+' dropdowns to print too, just scroll down the guide and click to open these before printing).

I hope this helps, and thanks again to all those who've posted (or will post) feedback - let's get this subject into the open.

MSE Rose
    It may be worth adding that to the first post here, and also to the Guide itself? I looked for a print button but didn't see it (could have been me ...)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Really glad that information is now available about what to do before and after someone dies. Wills and probate.
  • alanf_2
    alanf_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    When my Dad died a couple of years ago the best tip we got was to get multiple copies of the death certificate, at least 10 as this helps matters.

Mum found varying organisations more helpful than others.
    DVLA were brilliant, as were a couple of Insurance companies though one was particularly bad.

Perhaps naming the bad ones to deal with and in fairness the good ones would be a good idea.

Dad worked for Tesco's before he died and I know they get a hard time but they were very sympathetic and let mum keep his employee discount card.
  • Great guide - would have love this from day 1 of losing my Dad.

I'd add to get a big desk diary, and a concertina file.

The diary has been my failsafe for writing everything down on the day I did it - I even stick in receipts etc for claiming from the estate.

The concertina file can file every bit of paper that comes your way - and there has been a lot - either through subject (tax/ bills / pension etc) or alphabetically.

I still use both regularly, and when I look back through I can see just how much I have done.

I'd also recommend postal redirect asap, to keep a track on anything incoming.

Thanks xx
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's a really useful guide, thanks.

On a practical note, it's good to recognise that there will be days when you can motor through all the administrative work and others when you want to hide under a pillow. Pace yourself accordingly.

I'd add a caveat to be careful about which advice you take to be reliable, even if it comes from an official source. Our local council's guide to bereavement, which I picked up when I went to register my mum's death, had incorrect advice about car insurance. It advised that my husband, as a named driver, wasn't entitled to drive her car under her insurance as she could no longer give permission (doh!). The insurers confirmed this as piffle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback