Student Loan 2015 Discussion

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    My daughter was "lucky" to start Uni this year so her starting fees are £3750 for year one. I assume this will rise each year over the three year degree by some cost of living index.
    She may want to take a masters if and when she gets her degree. How will the fees be then. Does she remain on this lower starting scale of £3750 or will she in three years be faced with a one or two year masters course with a starting base of £9000 from this year.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 December 2011 at 8:27PM
    gfplux wrote: »
    My daughter was "lucky" to start Uni this year so her starting fees are £3750 for year one. I assume this will rise each year over the three year degree by some cost of living index.
    She may want to take a masters if and when she gets her degree. How will the fees be then. Does she remain on this lower starting scale of £3750 or will she in three years be faced with a one or two year masters course with a starting base of £9000 from this year.

Masters have completely different fees from undergraduate which are not capped and vary from university to university - so none of the £3000/£9000 stuff applies as Universities are already allowed to charge what they like. You are also unable to get funding from student finance for postgraduate masters courses.
  • Hi, how is it with EU students this year(2012/2013)? Can we get a student loan that will cover all of the tution fees?
    Can EU students get grant, or the maintenance loan?
    thank you!
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    BOE's Dale predicts CPI inflation will be low 3%(s) by March 2012.
    In his speech at Bloomberg in London this morning, Dale said inflation would continue to fall and would do so in two phases.

In the first phase, between now and next March, he forecast the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) would fall rapidly as price increases seen around this time last year, including the VAT hike and an increase in petrol prices, dropped out of the twelve month inflation rate.

“Barring some large and unanticipated price increases, CPI inflation looks set to come down to the low 3[%]s by March next year," he said.

But he added the chances of inflation being above or below the target towards the end of 2012 and into 2013 were more finely balanced than predictions in the Bank's November Inflation Report.
    http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=7880175
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    klepus wrote: »
    Hi, how is it with EU students this year(2012/2013)? Can we get a student loan that will cover all of the tution fees?
    Can EU students get grant, or the maintenance loan?
    thank you!

EU students are eligible to apply for the tuition fee loan but not for any loan or grant for maintenance.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    People might find this article interesting. It discusses what higher education is for:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/what-is-college-for

Choice quotes below:

The raison d’être of a college is to nourish a world of intellectual culture; that is, a world of ideas, dedicated to what we can know scientifically, understand humanistically, or express artistically.

[Students] see most of their courses as intrinsically “boring,” of value only if they provide training relevant to future employment or if the teacher has a pleasing (amusing, exciting, “relevant”) way of presenting the material.

Students, in turn, need to recognize that their college education is above all a matter of opening themselves up to new dimensions of knowledge and understanding. Teaching is not a matter of (as we too often say) “making a subject (poetry, physics, philosophy) interesting” to students but of students coming to see how such subjects are intrinsically interesting. It is more a matter of students moving beyond their interests than of teachers fitting their subjects to interests that students already have. Good teaching does not make a course’s subject more interesting; it gives the students more interests — and so makes them more interesting.
  • Can anyone help? My colleagues and I are interested to know if students starting in September 2012 can refuse to take a tuition fee loan and pay their own fees up front instead - are there any financial penalties for doing this?

Also, what is the situation if a student starting in September 2012 does take out tuition fee loan (and maintenance loan) and decides to start overpaying to repay early? Are there going to be financial penalties on them doing that?

Any clarity on this would be very welcome, as there seems still to be a lot of confusion on both issues, and especially on the first one - paying up front and not taking a loan.

Thanks.
    I work in a Univ admissions office and we are really in the dark about how the scheme will work in practice. E.g.

1. Can you repay early or are you locked in for 30 years?

2. May a student pay their own fees for (say) one year and then take out a loan for the remainder?

We have, however, noticed a sharp increase in people telling us that they are not coming, or that it "is not worth it" because of the fees
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mathilda_T wrote: »
    Can anyone help? My colleagues and I are interested to know if students starting in September 2012 can refuse to take a tuition fee loan and pay their own fees up front instead - are there any financial penalties for doing this?

You could end up paying more than you need to (for example, any debt you take out you may not pay back), but also vice versa, you may pay back more than you loaned out.

But no direct penalties for it, just through how much you actually pay back if you took out a loan rather than paying it upfront.
    Also, what is the situation if a student starting in September 2012 does take out tuition fee loan (and maintenance loan) and decides to start overpaying to repay early? Are there going to be financial penalties on them doing that?

Unsure about early repayment at the moment.
  • Hello Everyone, I am a mature student living with my partner and two sons in a council rented flat accommodation infested with mice. I will be finishing my course in February, my last student loan £4968 and grant of £2350 was paid in October and 2 installments of grants of £2350 will be paid in January and April respectively. I am not working and my partner too is not working because she was pregnant and had the baby in November. We went to the council in September and they told us that based on the student loan and grant i will be receiving in October, January and April we will have to pay all the rent without any support till April, before we will be access again. Because they see the student loan as income from September to March. The rent is £850 a month, we are finding it very difficult to pay this HUGE monthly rent, because if it was a council owned accommodation we wont paying that much. Our out goings have increased with the arrival of our new baby, moreover some of the money went into books, travelling and other expenses for my course.

Now, is this fair for the council to treat as this way? Was it right for the council to use the student loan as income from September till March, is student loan not yearly loans, even if I am finishing uni in Feb? Is the student loan meant to look after myself, partner and two sons. Please give me honest answers,no need to patronise me , we are desperately in need. Thanks
  • K36 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I am a mature student living with my partner and two sons in a council rented flat accommodation infested with mice. I will be finishing my course in February, my last student loan £4968 and grant of £2350 was paid in October and 2 installments of grants of £2350 will be paid in January and April respectively. I am not working and my partner too is not working because she was pregnant and had the baby in November. We went to the council in September and they told us that based on the student loan and grant i will be receiving in October, January and April we will have to pay all the rent without any support till April, before we will be access again. Because they see the student loan as income from September to March. The rent is £850 a month, we are finding it very difficult to pay this HUGE monthly rent, because if it was a council owned accommodation we wont paying that much. Our out goings have increased with the arrival of our new baby, moreover some of the money went into books, travelling and other expenses for my course.

Now, is this fair for the council to treat as this way? Was it right for the council to use the student loan as income from September till March, is student loan not yearly loans, even if I am finishing uni in Feb? Is the student loan meant to look after myself, partner and two sons. Please give me honest answers,no need to patronise me , we are desperately in need. Thanks

This has already been answered by your other thread on the Benefits Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback