PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - First viewing of a house

Comments

• All of my properties I have made an offer within 5 minutes of leaving. My latest I put an offer in when I was standing inside it, and it was accepted whilst I was still standing inside it!

When you know, you know. People don't need to play the games they often do. If you think it's a reasonable price, then offer that with the condition that you are offering it because you are serious, and want it off the market and don't want to get into a bidding war.

Don't offer under just based on decor. Decor is a personal thing, one place may be freshly done but unless that's your taste, you'd still want to change it.
  • SimonBck
    SimonBck Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have been told to avoid warm air heating as it makes the house very dry and potentially there could be asbestos in the ducting. Thinking back the seller was trying to over sell how wonderful is was. Any offer would need to factor in the cost of replacing.
  • SimonBck
    SimonBck wrote: »
    I have been told to avoid warm air heating as it makes the house very dry and potentially there could be asbestos in the ducting. Thinking back the seller was trying to over sell how wonderful is was. Any offer would need to factor in the cost of replacing.

Anyone had experience of replacing this type of system? We did like the house but not sure if we want the hassle of replacing the central heating system
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    SimonBck wrote: »
    Anyone had experience of replacing this type of system? We did like the house but not sure if we want the hassle of replacing the central heating system

You might want to try the DIY forum - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • SimonBck wrote: »
    The decor is not to our taste at all. That will cost us a few £s to get to what we require. Is that a reason to offer under the guide price? I am thinking 348k opening offer if we was to offer after a second viewing. Is that a bit to low or an ok starting point?
    I'm most definitely no expert but my feeling is that it's not the seller's problem if you don't like the decor - even if it's very dated - so it's up to you to budget for redecorating, rather than expecting the seller to 'pay' for it by dropping the price. It is the seller's responsibility to pay for major damage and all structural issues (leaks etc).

No comments on the warm air heating.
  • SimonBck
    We viewed a property this evening. We loved it and have put a offer in. EA has said they will forward onto the seller first thing in the morning. It is at the top end of our budget so not much room to manoeuvre. Excited and nervous at the same time!
  • Good luck @SimonBck, hope it all works out for you.
  • Good luck. Hope you don’t wait long to hear back
  • SimonBck
    Thank you. The EA said there is 5 viewings in total. We was the 2nd viewing yesterday. We emphasised in the offer that we are in a good position to move quickly. Didn't sleep too well last night thinking about it all!
  • SimonBck
    Initial offer declined, but was offered a counter offer and EA said that he would cancel all other viewings. We agreed to the counter offer. He said he would go back to seller then contact me. He has not come back to me. Hopefully something has not happened after our conversation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback