How does my underfloor heating work???

13»

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you only have one electricity supply number listed on your bills - or two supply numbers?

What are the first two digits of of your supply number(s)?

I'm assuming you are with your "regional" supplier and maybe very restricted as to other suppliers based on your mention of "complex" metering and how you've explained it so far. Knowing your supply area (which the first two digits confirm) may help others who may be able to advise.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • E7=7 hours, cheapest of the 3 switchable, competitive !
    E10=10 hours more expensive not competitive
    E18=18 hours more expensive not competitive

You need to decide what's best for you in advance.Then you need to speak to the complex metering team if you decide to go E7. You are pre-80's standards gawd knows what spinning meter and wiring arrangements you have. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Owain Moneysaver

The council are aware of my heating system.
    I live in a block of 21 flats, divided into 3 section. Our section consists of 6 flats and we are the only ones with underfloor heating. The other have storage heaters which will also be upgraded if the tenant wishes.
    There is no gas supply so that has first got to be sorted.
    My rent is the equivalent of a property with gas central heating.
    I believe there are quite a few properties in our area that are being updated, so I'll have to wait my turn.

anniecave

I have one supply number the first two digits are 02.

Richie-from-the-Boro

My meter is a digital meter not one with the spinning wheels lol.

Sorry, I don't know how to do "quotes"!!
  • I would definately be asking hard questions of your councillor why you're paying the same rent for a property which has not been improved by the council and which has significantly higher running costs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JackieD63 wrote: »
    I was told by one person that I would have to have my flat rewired at my cost because of the way my meter was set up.
    That's not nearly as bad as it sounds. The flat itself doesn't have to be rewired, only some relatively minor work by your local friendly electrician to connect the heating circuits to the 7-hour supply. Make a big fuss with the council, saying that they are discriminating against you because you're paying the same rent as those with the significant benefit of a gas central heating system.

If there really will be a long delay getting gas, in the short term ask them to do the electrical work so that you can switch to an E7 meter and shop around all suppliers to get a much cheaper deal. If push comes to shove, it might well be cost effective to pay the local electrician yourself.
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 January 2020 at 2:53PM
    JackieD63 wrote: »
    I've tried to contact EDF
    by phone several times but the line breaks up so bad that I gave up on that idea and tried live chat to see if I could change my tariff. I was told by one person that I would have to have my flat rewired at my cost because of the way my meter was set up.

You have been given incorrect information by a deliberately misinformed or ignorant idiot customer rep at EDF. read the facts:

h ttps://is.gd/18rboC

Remove the space

Gerry1 wrote: »
    That's not nearly as bad as it sounds. The flat itself doesn't have to be rewired, only some relatively minor work by your local friendly electrician to connect the heating circuits to the 7-hour supply.

This is incorrect, no rewiring by the customer is required when a complex meter restricted hour tariff set up is changed to E7 metering, E10 metering or standard single rate metering.

The second MPAN meter which supplied the heating circuits is removed and effectively replaced by a contactor (either internal or external) controlled by the first MPAN meter which would normally be replaced.

The customer should not have to pay for any work to be done, even though customer service reps on here have incorrectly stated that their customers should first consult an electrician.

Energy companies come out with this rubbish to frighten customers with talk of the expense of electricians, to dissuade them from changing from these very uncompetitive tariffs rip off tariffs that they are locked into.

Most users on these restricted hour tariff will change to the industry standard E7 tariff, giving access to the whole market and the cheapest tariffs available or remove the electric heating and change to a single rate tariff.

Any heating circuits controlled by the two MPAN meter set up will continue to be automatically controlled by the new E7, E10 meter at no cost to the customer as confirmed by various customers on here who have had their extra meter RHT setup removed.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thorganby wrote: »
    You have been given incorrect information by a deliberately misinformed or ignorant idiot customer rep at EDF. read the facts here
    Unfortunately the link is broken.
    thorganby wrote: »
    This is incorrect, no rewiring by the customer is required when a complex meter restricted hour tariff set up is changed to E7 metering, E10 metering or standard single rate metering.

The second MPAN meter which supplied the heating circuits is removed and effectively replaced by a contactor (either internal or external) controlled by the first MPAN meter which would normally be replaced.

The customer should not have to pay for any work to be done, even though customer service reps on here have incorrectly stated that their customers should first consult an electrician.
    Great ! Makes it easier for the OP to escape from their existing rip-off tariff ASAP.
  • MSE blocks short URL's.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure