Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 31st Dec 19, 6:42 PM
    • 1,344Posts
    • 14,145Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Step into Christmas * & 2020 - It's the 2020 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 31st Dec 19, 6:42 PM
    * Step into Christmas * & 2020 - It's the 2020 Christmas Chatter Thread 31st Dec 19 at 6:42 PM

Hello and welcome to the 9th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on to a new decade and Christmas 2020!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th
    Abbafan1972 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

Last edited by 3forholidays; 01-01-2020 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Tidy Up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 4
    • CazD2008
    • By CazD2008 17th Jan 20, 10:02 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 4,267 Thanks
    CazD2008
    Welcome back killielila

Happy weekend all

X
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 19th Jan 20, 7:24 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I managed to pick up some Christmas cards in a local charity shop yesterday, I was pleased as I hadnít been able to find any I liked in the sales. Talking of recycling wrapping paper, Tesco were very useful this year in that they clearly labelled whether the wrapping paper was Ďrecyclableí or Ďfoilí, I picked up a couple of recyclable rolls. It would be good if other retailers followed suit, perhaps a time to send a few emails suggesting it? It would also be good if Tesco just sold recyclable rather than foil!

Iíve decided this year if I start now to make people some little gifts as part of their presents. I saw an idea to make a lovely wooden spool wreath, you wrap different ribbons around wooden spools and thread them onto a wire loop, I have some wooden spools so Iím going to make that for my BiL and his wife. Iím also going to cross stitch some tree decorations, pad them out and put some backing material on to make for friends. Iím also hoping this year if I get my act together to make some chilli jam as presents. A resolution for me this year is to live a simpler life and have a bit more of a Ďmake do and mendí and attitude.

Welcome back killielila

Joyfullyfestive I love your Instagram! Oh you should definitely look into a craft business as itís getting more and more popular. One of my goals for this year is to buy everyone at least one present from a small, independent business.

GTQ oh wow now I get why you can never look the same way at him again!!! We went to see Aladdin and they did a similar routine but with the words ĎIf I were not in old Peking a ÖÖ Iíd rather be,í Ė it was absolutely brilliant, my favourite part of the show. This could be something that is very common in pantomimes I just donít know as only ever been to two, once when I was a small child.

Redrobin would they be happy to do you something like a food hamper? That way it would be something you would use up. My DH doesnít do Ďstuffí and my mum doesnít like to just buy vouchers so she always does him a food hamper of things he likes as well as a restaurant voucher which goes down well. Or is it the problem that they have their own ideas of things theyíd like to buy you rather than what you suggest?
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 21st Jan 20, 1:13 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Brrr itís cold out there today! DH took Wiggle to school this morning so Squeak and I have just been at home playing and getting jobs done. Iíll have to go out to get Wiggle this afternoon so will need to wrap up warm. Iím still on a decluttering mission here, Iíve been doing it for ages, much more goes out than comes in these days but things still seem to be untidy! I think I need to organise things much better so itís easier to keep tidy Ė and stay off Instagram looking at perfect homes!
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 22nd Jan 20, 1:41 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I had a bit of success today with some Christmas presents, I was on The Works website buying a present for someone when I found a Christmas ĎWhereís Wally?í book that would be perfect for my nephew reduced to £2.50 and a flashing bauble for Squeakís stocking with his name on (Wiggle has one the same) for 75p. Then I popped to a charity shop earlier and picked up a Christmas build-a-scene book with little felt pictures to stick to the pages for 20p that would be great for Squeak, itís an M&S book and in fantastic condition so I was pleased with that. I actually did well at the charity shop, for me I got a Topshop top/dress £2.50, a H&M t-shirt dress £2, a New Look jumper £2, a t-shirt for Wiggle, a birthday card and the Christmas felt book for £8.69! Itís a distribution centre and because itís adjacent to a supermarket car park they get inundated with stuff so things are never that high in price because they need a high turnover.

Anyway I hope everyone is well, I feel a bit like I am having a conversation with myself in here!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 22nd Jan 20, 5:18 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 18,021 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Lol, I was just thinking that PRINCESSKITTY . You did well today with your bargains. I love the sound of the felt book. On one of the Kirstieís Hand Made Christmas programmes a couple of years ago somebody did a reverse advent calendar with felt where each day you added a felt pice until you had a whole nativity scene. I was really tempted to make one but I think me and DH are a bit old for it.

Welcome back KILLIELILA.

REDREDROBIN I think thatís the problem when you try to cut down on pressie giving, people just enjoy giving them. Iím the worst culprit really because every year I say weíve got to cut down on what we buy/receive but Iím the one that keeps buying stuff.

GTQ Iíve bought a skipping rope to help with getting fitter because I thought it would be fun although itís not as easy as I remember it.

I must admit Iím not thinking Christmas at all at the moment because Iím trying to spruce up the kitchen which is taking much longer than I thought. Iím still popping in regularly though to see what everyone else is up to.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 23rd Jan 20, 7:20 PM
    • 8,322 Posts
    • 55,049 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think I need to organise things much better so it’s easier to keep tidy – and stay off Instagram looking at perfect homes!
    Originally posted by princesskitty29
    What you don't see in the photo is the pile of 'stuff' all shoved out the way behind the photographer ... that's what I tell myself anyway

Welcome back Killielila

I think I'm kinda done with Xmas prep currently for 2020. Didn't buy any more wrapping paper as I have loads (even resisted the large rolls I saw in Sainsburys for 1p...saying that the fact it was still there means so has everyone else ) I did have a big of good fortune though. Bought a pack of cards in M&S at half price as O2 didn't do any freebies on their app this year . However I prob needed a few more and either the ones I saw were full of glitter that couldn't be recycled, or horrible....and I think I'm probably a bit old to be sending out Frozen II cards

Found a box of 10 in the clearance section in sainsburys, well two boxes the same (and some others of a design that clearly wasn't popular and even I couldn't bring myself to think they were ok) So I picked up the two last ones that were decent looking thinking I'd buy them I feel they were something like 99p.....they scanned at 1p a box

So cards sorted for next year at least and I have loads of paper still from prev years. I expect I'll pick up a few bits for others through the year too, but really don't want to fall into the trap of ending up with gifts that turn out not to be suitable for one reason or another as has happened in the past, which makes for a false economy.
    Last edited by kerri gt; 23-01-2020 at 7:32 PM.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 26th Jan 20, 7:42 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 13,072 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I bought another Christmas present the other day, I actually wasnít looking for it at all. I was looking for something in particular in the Next sale then happened upon a menís Simpsons Christmas jumper, it was £12 reduced from £36 and it is just perfect for my brother Ė he loves the Simpsons and itís right up his street. Really good quality too which is nice.

Iím catching up on a couple of series of Doc Martin that I recorded before Christmas and as sad as this sounds Iím really enjoying the Christmas adverts. Also, Iíve decided not to wait to watch Christmas films this year, I always wait with most of them as I donít want to peak too soon but the last couple of years since having both boys Iíve ran out of time to watch them! I managed to squeeze in Elf and the Muppet's Christmas Carol but missed loads of other ones I love.

Peppa you are never too old for anything at Christmas! You should definitely make one, I think it sounds lovely and a nice craft to make.

kerri oh I know! Must keep remembering this! Wow what a bargain with the cards, thatís amazing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

542Posts Today

6,689Users online

Martin's Twitter