Advice needed - UC

Options
Hi

Due to my health issues I’m currently off work & on UC. I’m in the “work related activity group”. Balance at the time of applying was just under £5k & has remained around that amount throughout the period of my claim

Recently my kind dad, who has been supporting me, offered to purchase a 2nd hand car for me. When I became ill I had to move back home & we live in a remote village with no public transport so a car is essential (if you’re fit & well). He transferred £7k to me & we were looking at either a Peugeot 106 or Fiat 500 - a reliable runaround. But around this time my health got worse (a new condition) meaning I won’t be going back to work anytime soon, so we decided to abort the car purchase & as it wasn’t my money in the first place I transferred it back to him

Just want to ask if this be classed as a deprivation of asset? The full amount has gone back to my dad. Got the statements to prove it. It hasn’t gone on gambling, hookers, drugs, or fancy holidays - I’m bed bound at the moment.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no issue with benefits based on what you have said. Gift money from parent towards car purchase, which you have given back to parent, as a car was not purchased.

Nothing to worry about.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Brummielad
    Options
    Thank you. Not going to lie, I had a sleepless night last night worrying about it. It was a nice gesture from my dad. But my current circumstances meant it would be a waste of time & I wanted to do the right thing & return the money to its rightful owner.

A car for me atm is about as useful as a chocolate teapot

Thank you
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    ^ Just as an aside, you say you're bed-bound but still have to do work-related activity. If you haven't already informed them of your deterioration then you ought to. Presumably being bed-bound you would not be able to mobilise 50m (walking or with manual wheelchair or other aids) and therefore automatically meet the first LCWRA descriptor at least. If you have informed them and they've still decided LCW not LCWRA then I would suggest they may have got it wrong.

Just something to think about :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport