"Loan Settled" letter

I took out a loan recently and called to change the direct debit date for the first repayment. After the phone call I received a letter stating: "I am pleased to confirm that the above numbered agreement was settled on *date of phone call*" (Above numbered agreement refers to the loan account number).

Since then I have received a letter giving me the details of the direct debit.

Now this is a long shot, but is there any chance that as I have written confirmation from the bank that the agreement was settled that they now have to honour it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No, none whatsoever.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Just an error on their part, no substance to it, unfortunately your still liable for the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977
    First Post
    Forumite
    This isn’t Monopoly I’m afraid... therefore a bank error does not go in your favour lol
  • Unfortunately no, as it is clearly an admin error. However, it may be worth querying why you received the letter as it could indicate an issue with the account.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bjgentle wrote: »
    I took out a loan recently and called to change the direct debit date for the first repayment. After the phone call I received a letter stating: "I am pleased to confirm that the above numbered agreement was settled on *date of phone call*" (Above numbered agreement refers to the loan account number).

Since then I have received a letter giving me the details of the direct debit.

Now this is a long shot, but is there any chance that as I have written confirmation from the bank that the agreement was settled that they now have to honour it?

A long shot I admit but answer is no.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport