Switching from TalkTalk to Virgin Media

I hope someone can help me, I’ve gotten so confused speaking to TalkTalk & Virgin Media.

My current phone line & broadband provider is TalkTalk.
My contract with them ends on 27/01/2020.
I’ve signed up to switch to Virgin Media to start on 27/01/2020.
Virgin media tell me to cancel with TalkTalk
TalkTalk say my services with them will stop once it’s transferred over
I then get thrown the whole phone number port, which apparently takes 14days & TalkTalk will still own this.
Are TalkTalk going to charge me for keeping the phone line for another 14 days?
None of their stories seem to match. Please help.

Comments

• bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have to maintain your phone line with TalkTalk until Virgin have completed the number port. Otherwise, the number port will fail and you will lose the number. Virgin usually assign a temporary number until the port is completed.

Did you check with Virgin as to when the 14 days countdown actually begins? I thought it is usually from the day you place the order for new phone line to Virgin.
  • Virgin WILL NOT cancel your service with TalkTalk.

You are required to give 30 days notice to end your service with TalkTalk, it does not automatically end on the 27/1, you then go on to a month by month service at the full contract price for the package you have.

You do not SWITCH as the two companies use completely different infrastructure, all the happens is that Virgin take over your number.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 January 2020 at 10:33AM
    TT and VM use different access networks , and as such there is no ‘connection’ between them, so using VM doesn’t necessarily ‘inform’ TT that you no longer want their services ( hence the need to tell TT you are leaving ) , however, if you want to take the phone number you currently have with TT , and use it on VM’s network, VM should in effect advise TT on your behalf that you are leaving.
    Unfortunately, I suspect your number port ( if that’s what you want ) will go wrong, and unless you have already advised TT yourself, you will continue to have ( and be charged for ) TT services.
    Its around 30 days notice to quit, so if you wanted to stop paying TT after the 27/1/2020, then you should have advised them by 27/12/2019 that you were quitting ,thats assuming you would be outside any minimum term, so no ETC to take into account.
    Just how important is your current phone number to you , essential, or not ?, as I suspect you may end up with any old VM phone number and have to sort out the TT cease yourself
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    its a bit of a nightmare.

On one hand you need to give talktalk notice. (your can't rely on VM to do this!)

but you also need to keep the TT going long enough for the number to port
  • dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had same issue, agreed to join Virgin and move all services from Sky.
    when Virgin was installed was given new number and told by installation engineer I will lose phone number as I've not asked to port it which I did state when I agreed to join Virgin.

Had to call Sky and pay to keep their services while Virgin wanted 16 days because of bank holidays to port number

Gave up on Virgin after 4 days as they didn't give me all tv services agreed in sign up call and was told it takes 45 days to get transcript of that phone call.

Cooling off period is 14 days.

call centre in Phillipines is a joke, might as well tald to a brick wall.

At least Virgin disconnections were in the UK.

• Thanks for your help everyone.
    My VM QuickStart pack never arrived, so an engineer is coming today to install my services with VM.
    VM sent my number port request to TT today but I’m still unsure if my services with TT will end once this is done or if they still need 30 days for me to tell them I’m leaving. I’ve spoken to both providers so many times now & nothing is clearer.
    TT know I’m moving to VM & said they’re waiting for the port request.
    This is the kind of stuff we should be taught in school.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure