Which? proclaims Sainsbury's the cheapest supermarket

13»

Comments

• Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,837
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    they could easily have done a survey on mysupermarket at least for the big supermarkets which would not have shown Sainsburys as cheapest for almost any combination of goods.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,344
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Taking 10 items of the items included by Which (can't find full list anywhere), Sainsbury's is cheapest (if you don't include Aldi or Lidl), but don't most people simply swap their usual branded items for alternatives that are on offer, or simply choose to buy them when they are on offer and give them a miss if they are 'full' price?

Andrex Classic Clean White Toilet Tissue Rolls (9)
    Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream
    Weetabix Cereal (24)
    Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints
    Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo - Classic Clean
    Sure Men MotionSense 48hr Anti-Perspirant - Active Dry
    Kingsmill Medium Sliced 50/50 Bread
    Sheba Fine Flakes Poultry Selection in Jelly - Pouch (12pk)
    Heinz Baked Beanz in Tomato Sauce (6)
    Nescaf! Gold Blend Coffee (200g)

Lidl £24.03
    Sainsbury £28.05
    Asda £31.64
    Tesco £31.80
    Ocado £32.79
    Morrisons £33.27
    Waitrose £35.93

Lidl savings are toilet roll, ice cream & shampoo swapped for own brand.

Sainsbury's savings are down to shampoo and deodorant being on offer £1.50/80p cheaper, cat food £1.25 cheaper (though toilet tissue is £1.25 dearer).

As a comparison my shopping today consisted of 16 items, and cost me £14.16 in Aldi.

Elsewhere it would've cost (with some swaps obviously)
    Lidl £15.51
    Sainsbury's £17.90
    Asda £18.29
    Morrisons £18.45
    Tesco £20.09
  • Sainsbobs did say they'd been looking at their prices recently ... maybe they targetted the basket of goods deliberately, knowing it'd come up soon... and just made sure they were the same price/1p below others until after the results had been published.

I've always found them pricey, but, like all things, it depends what you're looking for and by what measure you're deciding they're pricey.

... so I think they "played the game".

The price of the basket of goods was tracked over a period of one year ie. throughout 2019 and not just on one occasion.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The price of the basket of goods was tracked over a period of one year ie. throughout 2019 and not just on one occasion.

And a very curiously selected basket of goods it must have been, too.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    And a very curiously selected basket of goods it must have been, too.
    Perhaps they should have just stuck to the CPI basket, at least it provides an accepted basis for the calculation of inflation.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Why all this ho-ha against Which? Shop around if you have more than 1 supermarket in a reasonable radius. Also branded goods are standardised unlike own brands so I understand why Which used those forcomparison.

I am lucky to live in a city and I shop around using all the main supermarkets to make sure I get value and quality. For instance, Aldi is great for steaks, Gin and some wine whereas Sainsbury is good for ground almonds large size (last time I checked on My Supermarket). Asda is best for my cat's food and Alcohol free beer. Lidl is good for nuts and some other baking goods.
  • A._Badger
    Forumite
    Why all this ho-ha against Which? Shop around if you have more than 1 supermarket in a reasonable radius. Also branded goods are standardised unlike own brands so I understand why Which used those forcomparison.

Because Which? sells itself as a reliable source of impartial information and people follow its recommendations believing them to be trustworthy.
  • So much disdain for Sainsbury's here and yet it remains Britains second supermarket (after Tesco) by share of sales according to Kantar's report covering up to 29th December 2019.
    Sainsbury's market share in that period fell by just 0.1% compared to the previous year which is better then Tesco's & Asda at 0.4% and Morrisons at 0.3%.
    So whether you agree with Which or not, Sainsbury's are doing something right.
  • A._Badger
    Forumite
    Inertia. It takes time to do the full British Leyland.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mac.d wrote: »
    Taking 10 items of the items included by Which (can't find full list anywhere), Sainsbury's is cheapest (if you don't include Aldi or Lidl), but don't most people simply swap their usual branded items for alternatives that are on offer, or simply choose to buy them when they are on offer and give them a miss if they are 'full' price?

Andrex Classic Clean White Toilet Tissue Rolls (9)
    Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream
    Weetabix Cereal (24)
    Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints
    Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo - Classic Clean
    Sure Men MotionSense 48hr Anti-Perspirant - Active Dry
    Kingsmill Medium Sliced 50/50 Bread
    Sheba Fine Flakes Poultry Selection in Jelly - Pouch (12pk)
    Heinz Baked Beanz in Tomato Sauce (6)
    Nescaf! Gold Blend Coffee (200g)

Lidl £24.03
    Sainsbury £28.05
    Asda £31.64
    Tesco £31.80
    Ocado £32.79
    Morrisons £33.27
    Waitrose £35.93

Lidl savings are toilet roll, ice cream & shampoo swapped for own brand.

Sainsbury's savings are down to shampoo and deodorant being on offer £1.50/80p cheaper, cat food £1.25 cheaper (though toilet tissue is £1.25 dearer).

Not exactly a balanced diet is it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport