Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TerriAkers68
    • By TerriAkers68 6th Jan 20, 5:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    TerriAkers68
    EMA BP petrol station PCN scam
    • 6th Jan 20, 5:32 PM
    EMA BP petrol station PCN scam 6th Jan 20 at 5:32 PM
    Hi, my name is Terri and I'm trying to organise a campaign to put a stop to the unscrupulous practices being used by the private parking company VCS Ltd (Excel) in and around the BP petrol station forecourt at East Midlands Airport in Derbyshire.

I was caught there in November 2019 dropping off a friend whilst I was using the station to fill my car up with petrol and I subsequently received a 100 PCN through the post. I went online and was horrified to discover that there had been a whole line of others before me that were caught out under similar circumstances. After doing some online research (inc. extremely useful info on MSE/Pepipoo) I followed the appeals process and my first appeal to VCS was successful. I have no idea why but assume that it was because I worded my letter in a forthright, techno-jargon, legalese type of way that probably just scared them off. Despite my success, I went to the paper because it's about time somebody tried to do something about this.

The EMA petrol station saga has been running for the best part of 2019 and the stories in the local press are the tip of a HUGE iceberg. People are now coming to me for advice and some are extremely distressed. Some of the stories I'm hearing are unbelievable. It's all very well saying "Oh it's that notorious petrol station at the airport, what a shocker" but no-one is challenging it and people just continue to get victimised. It was only a matter of time before VCS ran into someone like me that can't abide injustice and the fact that normal law-abiding citizens are being thoroughly ripped off.

My next move is to write back to VCS to inform them that I am on their case, just so they are aware. I will then write to the IPC and hopefully enter into a conversation with them about it or I might just jump straight in with a formal complaint. I strongly suspect that VCS are breaking the terms of their IPC membership by not following the Code of Practice. I also want to take this to Watchdog as I know they did a piece on VCS a few years back but times have changed, laws have changed, and a fresh look at the problem is required.

Please can you offer me any advice as to how best to proceed. I know that you have been involved in other campaigns up and down the country and I must admit I could do with a little support and guidance from people that know how these things are done. I had another story in the local press a couple of days ago.

If you go to the Derby Telegraph website you can find my articles:
    • "Livid mum wants to stop 'outrageous' EMA petrol station parking fines" dated 2 Jan 2020
    • "How angry mum overturned big fine for stopping at EMA petrol station" dated 4 Jan 2020
    (I couldn't include the actual links here as I'm a brand new user!)

Cheers, Terri
Page 2
    • 1505grandad
    • By 1505grandad 23rd Jan 20, 10:17 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    1505grandad
    @Umkomaas - a previous thread by the poster:-

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6067230
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 23rd Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 26,617 Posts
    • 43,743 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    @Umkomaas - a previous thread by the poster:-

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6067230
    Originally posted by 1505grandad
    Yep, recognise the username and the previous success v DVLA. Let's see if this task is equally positive in outcome.

If anyone is prepared to tackle the private parking issue (even using methods that regulars might not follow) I'm not going to undermine efforts.

There is more than one way of killing a pig.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 23-01-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • had to say
    • By had to say 24th Jan 20, 1:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    had to say
    "True but you have no chance in stopping them. No chance. " ????

"You will give up soon enough and realise its futile" ????

It is fortunate that Sir Greg ignored attitudes like these

I appreciate that this and other sites are doing a truly remarkable job of helping people have their PCNs cancelled or beaten in court by finding loopholes, misworded documents etc. (whether these PCNs are justified or what most people would consider a scam)

There are others who are attacking the cause of scam PCNs
    Terri and zhonguonuren are doing a marvellous job.

There are many of us who are confident that sooner or later the word 'fraud' will be used in a UK court in relation to one of these scams, whether it be a criminal charge, a civil case or a private prosecution. It is only a matter of time
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Jan 20, 1:47 AM
    • 80,793 Posts
    • 95,460 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    There are others who are attacking the cause of scam PCNs
    There are, and I am one, and Brown Trout is another. In fact, both posters you criticised are at the cutting edge of what goes on in making a difference against parking firms.

If you are new to this, you have no idea what I am doing, and what Brown Trout does, in order to make a difference and fight parking charges, off forum. We are completely different in what we do, but both realists.

It's just that we both have sure knowledge that complaints to the DVLA do not cut it, so we don't waste our time on that avenue.

Happy to see that others are willing to try, though. Keep it up, everyone, from all the different angles, and some changes might start to happen.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    TWO Clicks needed Look at the top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • had to say
    • By had to say 24th Jan 20, 1:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    had to say
    I must apologise

Because of the sequence of posts, I had misinterpreted you as saying that it was pointless fighting

Sorry about that
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Jan 20, 2:02 AM
    • 80,793 Posts
    • 95,460 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No probs. All I meant was, it is IMHO, pointless expecting that throwing stones at the DVLA will stop them from releasing data to parking firms.

However, you are on a forum where lots of us do LOTS in the background!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    TWO Clicks needed Look at the top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • had to say
    • By had to say 24th Jan 20, 2:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    had to say
    "However, you are on a forum where lots of us do LOTS in the background! "

Except sleep, it seems.
    Night !
    • zhonguonuren
    • By zhonguonuren 25th Jan 20, 9:13 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    zhonguonuren
    We are all on the same side and I have been amazed at the amount of work that goes on here.

My point is that individual cases do not stop the parking companies but cutting off their life source (the DVLA) would. In my case, KPS left the site and another had taken over doing the exact same thing. We should not object to legitimate parking companies obtaining our personal details if we have deliberately avoided paying a lawfully requested charge. What we should object to is if our details have been requested in an obvious attempt to scam.

I do urge people to send an email of complaint to

Benjamin.Neate@dvla.gov.uk

Stephanie.Jones@dvla.gov.uk

and copy in the ICO (forget all its criteria about needing a last response) The ICO needs to take action.

casework@ico.org.uk

If Gladstones Solicitors Ltd are involved (Will Hurley, John Llewellyn Gladstone Davies)

email

report@sra.org.uk

I received this response from the Solicitors Regulation Authority

Thank you for your recent correspondence, concerning your report about Gladstones, the contents and detail of which I have noted.

We are currently investigating a number of similar complaints which have been made against Gladstones and the information which you have passed to us will be considered with all other relevant information we now hold about the firm.

Your report has now been passed to the Investigation Officer, James Allen, for further investigation and an update will be provided to you as soon as possible.

I know it is a lot of time and effort but I believe we can win this battle. I did win a private case which involved a developer/land/parking issue which was worth 100k to me and which I was told countless times by other residents I had no chance (just saying !)
    • zhonguonuren
    • By zhonguonuren 25th Jan 20, 9:25 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    zhonguonuren
    Do not expect a response from the DVLA. That is fine. Eventually I will do a Freedom of Information Request on how many letters of complaint the DVLA has received - and submit this to the press.

The DVLA only responded when I served a court summons - which I do not advise doing at this time as my case was very specific and the DVLA had no chance of winning. The parking operator’s membership had expired (thank you to MSE for information on that). In most cases they quote ‘the reasonable cause’ element. I am wanting this defined and the DVLA’s duty of care/negligence.

However, the complaints/letters are all read and saved as they all appeared in the DVLA’s defence.
    • zhonguonuren
    • By zhonguonuren 25th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    zhonguonuren
    Once I receive what I expect will be an inadequate final response from the ICO (I have received several updates that my complaint is being looked into) I will pen an open letter to Cressida !!!! - this is fraud on a massive scale.
    • zhonguonuren
    • By zhonguonuren 25th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    zhonguonuren
    Whoops! No offence meant regarding the surname
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 25th Jan 20, 10:24 AM
    • 26,617 Posts
    • 43,743 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Once I receive what I expect will be an inadequate final response from the ICO (I have received several updates that my complaint is being looked into) I will pen an open letter to Cressida !!!! - this is fraud on a massive scale.
    Originally posted by zhonguonuren
    Whoops! No offence meant regarding the surname
    Just use her full name - Cressida Richard!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 25th Jan 20, 10:55 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    I will pen an open letter to Cressida !!!!
    As it is Derbyshire, it would be better sent to Chief Constable Peter Goodman.
    • zhonguonuren
    • By zhonguonuren 25th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    zhonguonuren
    I am based in Cornwall/London but anyway this is countrywide. I tried the local police and they did not understand the law - they said we should pay the PCN ?!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 25th Jan 20, 11:31 AM
    • 5,127 Posts
    • 7,704 Thanks
    Half_way
    As it is Derbyshire, it would be better sent to Chief Constable Peter Goodman.
    Originally posted by Rover Driver

The Airport is in Leicestershire, or to be more precise North-West Leicestershire, as are the three main towns/villages surrounding it- Kegworth, Castle Donnington and Diseworth
    Postcode areas do not always show what county a postcode location is in
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 25th Jan 20, 11:55 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    The Airport is in Leicestershire
    Originally posted by Half_way
    Thank you, (it is the first post that mentions Derbyshire), in that case it will be their C.C. Simon Cole.
    Last edited by Rover Driver; 25-01-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

605Posts Today

6,653Users online

Martin's Twitter