Spa Wiring

Hi, I would appreciate any views as to whether a quote I have been given to install a 16amp connection for a spa seems reasonable please.

To add the suitable connector to the consumer unit, run cabling from there out of the wall across a 1m passage, into the adjacent garage then out again to the spa on the patio. Mount isolator switch and provide 20 metres of armoured cable and hard wire this to the spa. Quote is £415.00.

I am based in Cambridgeshire.

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's very difficult to say without seeing the job and what's involved/required.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • MrsWenger
    MrsWenger Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for your reply Risteard.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I know that armoured cabling is expensive. With the labour element, it probably isn't too bad.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I know that armoured cabling is expensive.

A 25m roll of 4mm² from Toolstation, about £50. Not hugely expensive.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MrsWenger
    edited 24 January 2020 at 6:20PM
    Thank you Doozergirl and FreeBear.

I think I will arrange a comparison quote. The first one I have is from the guy who has done work for the spa company before although he is not employed by them.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Be aware that as the electrical work involves a new circuit and involves a pool and is outside is a "notifiable work". It needs to be building regs compliant and a certificate must be issued once the work is completed & tested - This can be done either by the electrician (if he is qualified to self certify), or by Building Control on payment of a fee.

Don't use an odd-job man for this. Electricity, water, and outside do not mix. It could kill.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MrsWenger
    Hi FreeBear, thank you for your reply and that information.

I would certainly only have the work done by a qualified electrician. The guy who quoted told me he would be able to provide the certification that is needed as he is able to issue that.

He has done a lot of work for many years for the spa company who themselves are long established.
  • I had a 32A circuit for a hot tub along with wiring for a shower in an upstairs bathroom. The hot tub wiring was approximately 40m long and involved going up into the attic across the house and back down to ground level. 
    Total cost £400 + VAT
    Nottinghamshire by the way
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The figure doesn't seem excessive for a day's work plus materials.
  • MrsWenger
    Glyndwr2000 and Tellito1, thank you both for you replies and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure