Direct cremations

Comments

• CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    2e0arr wrote: »
    maybe my sense of humour is a soggy cardboard coffin with the deceased bottom pushing through as the pall bearers carrying it in

Knowing my luck, someone would trip and drop me and the glue wouldn't have worked on the lid! I've got visions of me sliding across the floor, undertakers scrabbling about trying to get me back in the coffin.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think a key thing would be to talk to your son to see what his views are. For instance, was it it that he thought you literally meant no funeral, and that it was framed as 'we don't want any kind of church or crematorium service' he would feel differently?

Or might it be that the idea of discussing death and funerals was distressing to him, rather than the content of the discussion?

I think you are doing the right thing in thinking and talking about it ahead of time - people do get very stressed and upset when someone dies if they want to do what that person would have wanted, but don't know what that was (or where different family members have strong and opposing views about what heir wishes would have been)

A relative of ours died recently and one thing which made it easier was that she had planned ahead - she'd left notes about what she would like for the service, literally the only thing that had to decided was which order the hymns she had picked out should be sung, during the service.

It may be in your case that framing it as 'we'd like there to be a gathering for people we cared about to have the chance to meet and remember us, if they want, but we would prefer that that isn't in a church or chapel, and isn't too formal'

Structure and ritual are very important and a lot of people fund them helpful in dealing with grief - so it might be useful, and may help your son, if you do set out some guidelines - even if it is just "we'd like the practical arrangements to be as economical as possible - go with the cardboard coffin since it is going to be burned"
    or
    "at the gathering, we'd suggest maybe have some photos on display, music playing - here's a list of some of our favourites - perhaps one of you could say a few words just to encourage others to share memories if they want, and make sure there's plenty to eat and drink"

Also - consider whether you would be OK to have (say) a humanist 'minister' , or some other individual to MC the event and say a few words, and let the children know that that would be fine *if they wanted it* - in other words, frame it as "We don't want or need any ceremony for us, but if you decide it would help you, we'd rather it was non-religious / not at the crematorium"

That way, you are giving them permission to grieve and mark your deaths the way they need to, but giving them suggestions so you feel you end up with something that follows your wishes and beliefs as well.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • CathA wrote: »
    My husband and I have decided that we don't want a funeral for a variety of reasons, and are planning to organise a pre-paid direct cremation plan soon. We have told our children, some seem ok, some seem a bit concerned.

If anyone has had one of these in their family, how did the family feel about it? i.e. did they feel they missed out/were upset that there wasn't a 'proper' send-off/glad?

Not my family but a very close friend of mine died a couple of years ago and he knew it was coming and planned for it by arranging a pre-paid cremation.
    Most of his family understood and agreed with his decision.

The arrangements after the cremation involved his wife collecting the urn and taking it over to Ireland (where he was from) where there was a family and close friend get together, a wake and a scattering of the ashes and to be honest, I don't think anyone in his immediate family had any objections to what happened.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CathA wrote: »
    Knowing my luck, someone would trip and drop me and the glue wouldn't have worked on the lid! I've got visions of me sliding across the floor, undertakers scrabbling about trying to get me back in the coffin.

CathA yes those are the best funerals to go to.

i was at a funeral and the elderly vicar arrived to welcome the coffin and i said "its private godfrey" . it got a good laugh and mourners we're laughing and crying at the same time. He was a Cannon and his name was Frank Ball church at sheffield, Cannon Ball.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wouldn't buy a funeral plan of any sort, I would put money in a savings account with instructions on what you want it spent on i.e funeral/cremation etc - if you find out how much it is going to cost then pop that money away and add it to your will - these companies are holding on to your money for what will hopefully be a long time and you are getting no benefit

Sorry, don't agree. If you buy a funeral plan now and then, when you die, the prices have doubled, you're effectively getting a half-price funeral. Obviously if you die 2 weeks after you've bought the plan, then you've gained nothing - but neither have you lost anything. If you put a certain amount of money to one side for your funeral, you're going to need some exceptional interest rates to keep up with increased costs over the years.

I'm going to have a direct cremation. There's nothing to stop family and friends getting together afterwards if they want to. I shan't care!
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • My husband and I purchased two pre-paid funeral plans from Pure Cremation for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We don't have children, but the rest of our family responded positively to the news, and my mother has since gone on to purchase one for herself too.

My husband and I want our ashes scattering together, when the time comes, but following our death we have just said that the remaining one will take family and friends out for a pub lunch so people can chat and raise a glass.

It's such a huge relief knowing that the person left behind doesn't have any planning or arranging to do, other than phoning the cremation team to advise of the death. It seems like a win-win for everyone.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    2e0arr wrote: »
    I want a cardboard coffin with Amazon on it, maybe return to sender not known at this address ?
    Mind you is there a weight limit for a cardboard coffin. what happens if it gets caught in a down pour with the body in it at a ceremony?

We had a cardboard coffin for my grandma, as I recall it was double-thickness corrugated cardboard and the outside was slightly shiny, so probably at least shower proof, and would take a lot of water before it got soggy enough to be a problem.
    Been there, done that once, never again. When my mum died, I advised my sister not to go and see her, as it was as you said, the memories stayed with me from viewing the deceased relative that I'd seen previously. She still went, as did her daughters and they were really upset, said mum/grandma didn't look right, they'd done her hair wrong etc. They wished they hadn't done it.

I think this element is very personal. I went to see both of my grandparents and I actually found it incredibly comforting, explicitly because it was so clear that it wasn't them any more. Having spent some time with each of them in their last weeks I actually found the memories of them when they were dying much more upsetting, and seeing them afterwards, where it was so clear that they weren't suffering and that there wasn't a person in the body any more, was very helpful, and i am deeply glad that I was able to see them. Another relative died recently where I didn't have the opportunity to see her and I regret that, because I didn't get that closure and my last memories of her are of her when she was dying .

That said, I wouldn't impose that on anyone who didn't want it. (I recall that when my grandma died, my mother and 1 of her sisters went, one of the other sisters didn't (and tried to talk everyone else out of going) and one went only because her own son wanted to see his granddad so she went with him. Everyone got to do what felt right for them.

I think it's another area where it can be very helpful to allow your immediate family some flexibility - so they can decide for themselves what they want when the time comes. Give them permission not to see you, e.g. "don't feel that you have to visit at a funeral home, lots of people find it very upsetting to see their loved ones and I wouldn't want you to feel you 'should', but equally, it you decide you want to see us at that stage then do what you need to do - we will be past caring at that point!"Basically, try to give them the space to grieve in whatever way they need to, when the time comes.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Our son died over the New Year. A direct cremation simply wasn't an option as he didn't want anyone to be upset, & his grandparents Absolutely Expected a funeral of some sort. The funeral directors did a passable job (forgot one grandmother throughout, didn't use email, but got it done).

This "leave me for the binmen" joke is just ducking a couple of grands worth of safe disposal of biological waste, let alone taking care of those left behind. The crem service was tiny, the memorial service will have to be bigger, & better timed, to allow former teachers & colleagues & schoolmates & fellow Scouts to attend.

Definitely talk now, but also leave it open for your children to do what brings them comfort at the time.

I'm all for direct cremation for myself, so long as my family spend the rest of the money on a *huge* family party - the sort & size where you end up meeting distant relatives & even marrying one.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our son died over the New Year. A direct cremation simply wasn't an option as he didn't want anyone to be upset, & his grandparents Absolutely Expected a funeral of some sort. The funeral directors did a passable job (forgot one grandmother throughout, didn't use email, but got it done).

This "leave me for the binmen" joke is just ducking a couple of grands worth of safe disposal of biological waste, let alone taking care of those left behind. The crem service was tiny, the memorial service will have to be bigger, & better timed, to allow former teachers & colleagues & schoolmates & fellow Scouts to attend.

Definitely talk now, but also leave it open for your children to do what brings them comfort at the time.

I'm all for direct cremation for myself, so long as my family spend the rest of the money on a *huge* family party - the sort & size where you end up meeting distant relatives & even marrying one.
    You want to marry a distant relative ??
  • Dymphna60
    Dymphna60 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    2eOarr- am appropriate response/ posting ?
    DigForVictory
    I can’t think what to say about the loss of a child. Condolences.
    These kind of threads always end up running to stupid things like ‘ I say put me out with the recycling’ don’t they , at best useless at worst distressing.
    Be nice folks . How about turning to the look at the person who you love most in the world and asking yourself if you would really find it hilarious if instead of offering fond rememberers of them on their death people called on you to say “ have you thrown him on the compost heap ?
    “Wouldn’t it be a right laugh if the coffin fell open and her body slid down the road ? “
    How you would laugh .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure