Hoist Finance UK Holdings 2 Limited

Options
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post, sorry if it's not.
I got a letter from a company called Hoist Finance UK Holdings 2 Limited. They appear to be a debt collection agency, and have an outstanding balance of £577.53 to my name.
I thought I was financially in pretty good order, so I called them to find out what was going on, and they confirmed an address I lived at in, believe it or not, 2001.
This will make me seem like a bit of a dingus, but I honestly can’t remember that far back. I know I did get in a bit of a financial pickle, but I pulled myself out of it. However, I don’t feel 100% confident that this debt isn’t mine – it could well be. They’re going to send me more information, hopefully it’ll make more sense.
It’s not a huge amount of money, so if it is my debt, I’ll just pay it all off in one go, but my question is, are Hoist Finance a genuine company? They seem to work with a company called Robinson Way.
If this is my debt, I’ll just pay it off in one go and slap my own wrist for being a fool in the distant past, but I just wanted to check they were not scammers.

Ta,
Matt.

Comments

• User_101122
    Options
    Hoist and Robinson Way are part of the same firm I believe.

If this debt is from 2001 it is highly likely to be statute barred which means they can not enforce it. Most debts (there are some exceptions) become statute barred when you do not pay or make any written acknowledgement of the debt for six years from the earliest point they could take court action against you (usually the date of default).

Hoist have probably bought the debt as part of a job lot of bad debts and may be unaware that it's statute barred.

Send them this letter:
    https://www.stepchange.org/Portals/0/documents/info/Statute-Barred-Template-Letter.pdf

That should be the last you ever hear of them.
  • MLouka
    Options
    I have just seen this message and I have the same problem with Hoist Finance. They issued a CCJ against me in February 2017 for the amount of £5,279 for a barclaycard that I paid off in August 2006. I appealed to the CCJ with a long explanation why I did not owe this money. I received a reply from the HM Courts tribunal service advising that Hoist had 28 days to reply. I heard nothing back. In November 2019 I received another CCJ that it was being transferred to Brighton. On the 8th January 2020 a gentleman came to my door and issued the CCJ against me. When I checked the claimant and the claim number it was the same. I wrote to the address I was asked to complete the claim form and sent them all the paperwork that I had completed in February 2017. I would like to know if I can issue Hoist Finance UK with the Statute Barred Debt? Thank you any own that can advise me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your post is unclear.

You say you've received two CCJs, but that wouldn't happen on a single debt. CCJs are also issued by courts, not by gentlemen on doorsteps.

Do you mean you have been advised that they have applied for a CCJ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MLouka wrote: »
    I have just seen this message and I have the same problem with Hoist Finance. They issued a CCJ against me in February 2017 for the amount of £5,279 for a barclaycard that I paid off in August 2006. I appealed to the CCJ with a long explanation why I did not owe this money. I received a reply from the HM Courts tribunal service advising that Hoist had 28 days to reply. I heard nothing back. In November 2019 I received another CCJ that it was being transferred to Brighton. On the 8th January 2020 a gentleman came to my door and issued the CCJ against me. When I checked the claimant and the claim number it was the same. I wrote to the address I was asked to complete the claim form and sent them all the paperwork that I had completed in February 2017. I would like to know if I can issue Hoist Finance UK with the Statute Barred Debt? Thank you any own that can advise me.

Hi,

Very confusing post, you cannot appeal a CCJ , especially by writing to the court, you can only apply for a set aside motion, and hope your evidence is sufficient to be successful.
    And as above, gentlemen do not come to your door and issue a CCJ, it is issued by a court, you have a lot of conflicting issues going on here, you need to clarify the situation better.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    A lot of new posters today bringing up old posts - just saying.
  • Bobble1
    Options
    Hi there,
    I’m having huge problems with Hoist, not only do I email and they either do not reply or take an she to do so.
    So basically I was declared bankrupt following fraud agaist me (now person is in prison) however I’m picking up the pieces. It’s all been rather stressful that’s resulted in allot of ill health. I think it’s was around 10 companies I’ve had to deal with and Hoist is the only ones I’m having issues with. They say they will not accept my official bankrupty letter and the can only removed the debt with a certificate of discharge. My official receiver has even put it in an email to me that this is not issued and I’m discharged after the 12 months. But alas Hoist wants to keep my debt and it’s getting in the way of me moving forward and building my credit score back up. I don’t know what to do, I feel bit broken
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bobble1 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I’m having huge problems with Hoist, not only do I email and they either do not reply or take an she to do so.
    So basically I was declared bankrupt following fraud agaist me (now person is in prison) however I’m picking up the pieces. It’s all been rather stressful that’s resulted in allot of ill health. I think it’s was around 10 companies I’ve had to deal with and Hoist is the only ones I’m having issues with. They say they will not accept my official bankrupty letter and the can only removed the debt with a certificate of discharge. My official receiver has even put it in an email to me that this is not issued and I’m discharged after the 12 months. But alas Hoist wants to keep my debt and it’s getting in the way of me moving forward and building my credit score back up. I don’t know what to do, I feel bit broken

So let me get this right, some fraud was committed against you, did you go bankrupt because of the fraud ?
  • Mummy007
    Options
    08 Jun 1992 I took a Barclaycard out ( 0ver 28 years ) it was assessed on the household income ie full time working husband, as I was a full time Mother.  Since, Sept 2015 its been in default due to death of main earner, what are the odds on Barclaycard now passed to Hoist having the original documents from 1992.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    People can take guesses, but it will be quicker and more accurate to just ask them.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Mummy007 said:
    08 Jun 1992 I took a Barclaycard out ( 0ver 28 years ) it was assessed on the household income ie full time working husband, as I was a full time Mother.  Since, Sept 2015 its been in default due to death of main earner, what are the odds on Barclaycard now passed to Hoist having the original documents from 1992.
    Zero zilch! Does this the debt is not enforceable - no it does not - if they had to they could legally make a copy of the application and send that unsigned to you. This has been tested in court against Nat West.
    If you have any funds why not approach them to see if they will accept a lump sum off you to close this off?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback