Specky Four Eyes

Options
Did anyone else use the offer in the recent MSE email? Have your glasses been packed well?

I've never used them before but ordered a pair of glasses. They've arrived this morning. They're in a soft case and they've put them in a cheap jiffy bag. It must have been squashed somewhere in transit as the frame is bent out of shape. I'm really disappointed :(
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• SimonJGreig
    Options
    How long did they take to arrive. Ordered mine early Jan, nothing yet
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How long did they take to arrive. Ordered mine early Jan, nothing yet

Good luck. I ordered glasses from them on 24th December and I'm still waiting.

Apparently they're v-e-r-y slow.
    FOLLOW YOUR ORDER'S STATUS STEP-BY-STEP

Date	        Status
    17/01/2020	Personalising Lenses
    08/01/2020	Dispensed
    24/12/2019	Order Received

https://www.speckyfoureyes.com/content/15-faqs:
    How long will it take to receive my order?

Our terms state that delivery can take up to 38 days. However, orders are usually turned round in 10 working days, subject to the complexity of the prescription and additional coatings. We use Royal Mail for deliveries and your order will be posted through your letterbox along with your regular post.

I think they unnecessarily raise expectations by saying 'orders are usually turned round in 10 working days'. I guess some punters do receive their glasses within 10 working days, but that doesn't seem the norm.
  • sfry
    sfry Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes they are very very slow.

I have had several orders from them because they are cheap and the glasses are good but I mentally prepare myself for a long wait.

But they have always been despatched in a hard plastic shell case which has protected them.
  • ZZ_von_Schnerk
    Options
    This out fit is a bloody joke and I would recommend you buy elsewhere.
    My order was made on 29th December and still nothing. I have demanded a refund as looking at other peoples expeience they are clearly not fit do business with.
  • SnowTiger
    Options
    This out fit is a bloody joke and I would recommend you buy elsewhere.
    My order was made on 29th December and still nothing. I have demanded a refund as looking at other peoples expeience they are clearly not fit do business with.

As I mentioned previous, their FAQ does mention delivery may take 38 days. However, it also mentions ' orders are usually turned round in 10 working days', giving a false sense of hope.

I ordered my glasses on 24th December. Still waiting.
    FOLLOW YOUR ORDER'S STATUS STEP-BY-STEP

Date	        Status
    29/01/2020	In Lab
    17/01/2020	Personalising Lenses
    08/01/2020	Dispensed
    24/12/2019	Order Received

If I give them a week's leeway for Christmas and new year and assume deliver may take 38 working days I guess I might not receive my glasses until around 20 February.

Fortunately the glasses I've ordered are a replacement for a non-essential second pair, so s-l-o-w delivery isn't really a problem.

The bad reviews are mostly about slow delivery. I'm dubious all the good ones are genuine.

Are reading glasses a bespoke item? Or do sellers simply take pre-made lenses and frames off the shelf and pair them together? I'm wondering aloud whether an order can be cancelled or glasses returned under distance selling rules.
  • SnowTiger
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    As I mentioned previous, their FAQ does mention delivery may take 38 days. However, it also mentions ' orders are usually turned round in 10 working days', giving a false sense of hope.

I ordered my glasses on 24th December. Still waiting.

I received an email on Friday (31 January) to let me know my glasses had been dispatched.

They arrived today (3rd February).

38 days precisely from ordering to dispatch.

Glasses arrived in a hard case with a small packet of Love Hearts.

Would I order from SPECKYFOUREYES again? I probably will. Most of the complaints about them seem to be about delivery. Perhaps they should be a bit more upfront and realistic about timescales.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are they significantly cheaper than the likes of Glasses Direct? (Not that I have any experience with any online spectacles company, but GD adverts on TV suggest that delivery is very much quicker than 38 days).
  • dmliverpool
    Options
    It's like that these glasses have been dropshipped from somewhere, hence the long delivery timeline. Anyone can set up such a website and offer a deal with MSE especially if you never actually hold the stock other than to perform a quality check. I mean a 10-20 business day delivery time is terrible.
    The harder one works the luckier one gets!
  • MarianCr
    Options
    I  ordered a pair of glasses on 17 December, and received an email YESTERDAY on 11 February that they have finally been dispatched. Shocking service - should no longer be recommended on this website. 

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Specky: Ordered 6 Jan, despatched 11 Feb, not received by me yet. One pair £22 (no extra options)
    Glasses Direct: Ordered 4 Feb, despatched 11 Feb, received today (12 Feb). Two pairs £29 (no extra options)
    Admittedly the Specky are "branded" but I don't expect they'll make me see any better than the unbranded GD ones. 

A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure