Am I committing benefit fraud?

Options
Hi,

Would really like an outside opinion on my situation.

I lost my job in the summer, but didn't claim any benefits as we had enough to get by and I was enjoying the time off. About a month or so ago I started claiming basic JSA, as I am now properly looking for work.

In my spare time I sometimes write articles for a particular print publication. Nothing dodgy - I'm being cagey in the interests of anonymity! If they print your article you get paid, about 6 weeks after publication. It isn't much - £45 per page - and if you work it out per hour of writing you're well below minimum wage! I do it for my own enjoyment, basically.

Haven't actually written anything since starting to claim JSA, but there is a good chance I'll get some money for previous submissions while I'm still claiming.

Is this technically benefit fraud? I don't feel any moral guilt as I've paid in for 20 years, and I'm unlikely to get very fat off either the £70 a week JSA or the article payments. But I obviously don't want to come a cropper over it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Simon_Jones_85
    Options
    ...and I've just realised this has ended up under Child Support. No idea how. Find this website quite hard to navigate if I'm honest. Any idea how I can move it to the main Benefits section? Or just delete it and start again?
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 January 2020 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Don't quote me but I believe you can work up to 16 hours per week and claim JSA if you are actively looking for a job.

When I claimed JSA back in 2012 you could earn up to £5 a week and still claim JSA but they changed the rules I think.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit - found this:

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I'd recommend re-posting this on the main Benefits board - I only found this post due to the title, and I suspect many of the general benefits-knowledgeable people don't always check this subforum :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure