Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 14th Jan 20, 4:14 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 25Thanks
    muddlemand
    What to charge for the use of a workshop?
    • 14th Jan 20, 4:14 PM
    What to charge for the use of a workshop? 14th Jan 20 at 4:14 PM
    A friend is about to set up selling models he makes - a business he has done in the past and is getting back to. He has asked if he can use a workshop I have - I think of it as the shed, but it has a workbench and is really a workshop or (he says) studio. It is bigger than a shed, probably big enough to garage a car, or nearly (but without that kind of door).

I've said yes in theory, on condition that he does the setting up - it has lighting but needs heating, and a good clean-up / clear-out. All the one-off costs are his problem. but how much would be reasonable to charge, ongoing?

I'd prefer to charge a set amount weekly or monthly, rather than keep track of the hours he's there. (He's only just made the suggestion today and we haven't got down to details like which days and so on.) I don't feel it's fair to charge as much as he'd pay for a commercial place. Or would it be fair to? I'm so used to thinking of it as a cluttered, cobwebby space where I never go, it's hard to decide how to approach this.
Page 3
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Jan 20, 6:18 PM
    • 12,502 Posts
    • 11,146 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I can't even find any - but parking on a driveway, in the second-nearest town to me, is anything up to 75 per month. Varies wildly.

I can't rent out my own driveway because of being half an hour's walk from anything people want to get to (and no bus), but this proposal isn't about being near things, in fact the remoteness may help. So I'm thinking I may think in terms of 50 ish.
    Originally posted by muddlemand
    Just Googled some lock up garages to rent in Kent, rents started at 60 pm
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 15th Jan 20, 8:41 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    muddlemand
    Just Googled some lock up garages to rent in Kent, rents started at 60 pm
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Thanks for doing that. So that fits with the 50-75 ish that I'm coming to think. I will try and get him to name a figure first, anyway, but this gives me a feel for whether it's realistic.

I'm thinknig a workshop is worth more than a garage, because there don't seem to be any workshops to rent in this town. There is a very small "industrial park" that's basically one side of one street, with a Kwikfit and a few offices. It isn't that kind of town. (As for other renting, eg houses, it's an expensive area - probably comparable to Kent. On Airbnb there aren't many rooms either.)
    • markin
    • By markin 15th Jan 20, 9:24 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    markin
    If its going to be a full time business for him again and making 12 to 24K, I don't see why you don't start at 100 for the first month but aim for 300 after that, How much is he selling them for 50 or more? Could he do it at home if he wanted? Or would he really have to pay 1K+ to get a commercial building.

If he's being truthful though why did he ever give up the kilm? Is he retired?
    Last edited by markin; 15-01-2020 at 9:30 PM.
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 16th Jan 20, 8:59 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    muddlemand
    If its going to be a full time business for him again and making 12 to 24K, I don't see why you don't start at 100 for the first month but aim for 300 after that, How much is he selling them for 50 or more? Could he do it at home if he wanted? Or would he really have to pay 1K+ to get a commercial building.

If he's being truthful though why did he ever give up the kilm? Is he retired?
    Originally posted by markin
    I won't share his personal history but he had a couple of tragedies in quick succession. From my own experience I know how something like that can take you completely out of life for a number of years.

I think he does intend to work up to full time again. He was selling his pieces at 200. I'll ask about how many hours and what the alternatives would be for the space. I'm making a list of things to go through when we meet, later today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

542Posts Today

6,689Users online

Martin's Twitter