Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tillydot
    • By Tillydot 10th Jan 20, 8:09 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Tillydot
    Smart TV
    • 10th Jan 20, 8:09 PM
    Smart TV 10th Jan 20 at 8:09 PM
    Can anyone advise me please. I have talk talk phone and internet, and Sky tv. I do not have a digital ariel. A friend told me today that if I buy a Smart tv and just have the internet, not a phone, with BT I wouldnt need a digital ariel? I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview? Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included? and can you record programmes on a Smart tv. Its all a bit confusing but any help would be really appreciated. I want to make it cheaper and easier if possible. Its costing me around 80 a month and I never use the home phone, just my mobile. Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Jan 20, 9:35 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    J B
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:35 PM
    • 10th Jan 20, 9:35 PM
    More info needed really.
    What costs "around 80 a month"

Presumably you have a dish for your Sky TV?
    If you "can manage with freeview" then simply cancel your sky sub and you can still use the system to watch the 'free to air' channels for free.

Most internet services use the phone line to bring t'internet, so you are probably stuck with the phone.

Save your money, cancel Sky and don't buy a new TV
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jan 20, 12:50 AM
    • 25,371 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Jan 20, 12:50 AM
    • 11th Jan 20, 12:50 AM
    If you "can manage with freeview" then simply cancel your sky sub and you can still use the system to watch the 'free to air' channels for free.
    Originally posted by J B
    Not if the OP currently has Sky Q.

Most internet services use the phone line to bring t'internet, so you are probably stuck with the phone.
    Originally posted by J B
    This comment is so outdated it's hardly worth refuting.Have you never heard of fibre broadband? That doesn't come down any phone line...

Save your money, cancel Sky and don't buy a new TV
    Originally posted by J B
    On that we can agree..
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    • 11th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    Originally posted by J B
    This comment is so outdated it's hardly worth refuting.Have you never heard of fibre broadband? That doesn't come down any phone line...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

In my defence, I did use the words 'most' and 'probably'
    We have FTTC at one of our properties which obviously does need a phone line
    We have a WISP service at home that doesn't

Can you have FTTP without a phone line? I've never needed to know after they quoted me 12K to install that!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jan 20, 12:22 PM
    • 25,371 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Jan 20, 12:22 PM
    • 11th Jan 20, 12:22 PM
    Originally posted by J B
    While most providers bundle their broadband and landline into packages, there is no longer any physical reason why the two services cannot be purchased separately.

The cost of broadband alone, however, is generally almost the same price as having a package.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 11th Jan 20, 9:37 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 11th Jan 20, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Jan 20, 9:37 PM
    In my defence, I did use the words 'most' and 'probably'
    We have a WISP service at home that doesn't

Can you have FTTP without a phone line? I've never needed to know after they quoted me 12K to install that!
    Originally posted by J B
    FTTP is just a connection to your property. It's up to you whether you have a phone connection or not, your bigger problem is finding a decent range of Internet providers.

We have FTTP and so far only BT or Sky are able to provide us with a service.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 13th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    • 8,325 Posts
    • 3,520 Thanks
    almillar
    • 13th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    • 13th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview
    Freeview IS live TV, via an aerial.
    Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included
    Almost all Smart TVs on sale today will have WiFi built in, yes.

and can you record programmes on a Smart tv.
    'maybe'. Lots will support recording, if you plug in a USB hard drive or stick, but it's usually poor. And it'll be recording from the aerial or satellite input. You'll generally have 1 tuner in the TV, which means you're stuck watching what you're recording. If you want to record, a seperate set top box would still be my recommendation.

If you're getting rid of Sky HD (not Sky Q), you would be able to replace that with a Freesat box. This connects to your dish, pointing the same way, with the same cables as the Sky box. Buy a Freesat HD recorder. If you're getting a smart TV, you might not want to bother with the upgraded 'FreeTime' recorder, which adds the smart stuff.
    • goral
    • By goral 14th Jan 20, 7:41 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    goral
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:41 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:41 AM
    Can anyone advise me please. I have talk talk phone and internet, and Sky tv. I do not have a digital ariel. A friend told me today that if I buy a Smart tv and just have the internet, not a phone, with BT I wouldnt need a digital ariel? I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview? Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included? and can you record programmes on a Smart tv. Its all a bit confusing but any help would be really appreciated. I want to make it cheaper and easier if possible. Its costing me around 80 a month and I never use the home phone, just my mobile. Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Tillydot
    1. There is no such thing as digital ariel. It is still same ariel that was years ago. still the same electromagnetic waves, the difference is the way the TV signal is applied to these waves. The receiver must be adapted to receive this signal. Not necessarily an aerial.
    To watch freeview you need ... aerial.
    Freeview is just name for digital TV, but is still same terrestrial tv as was analog - so, you need aerial.

2. Smart TV is still same TV, the difference is in the software, smart tv is like a smartphone which, apart from calling, has the ability to use other applications. It's the same on TV, apart from the normal TV function, you have the option of installing other applications. But to use this app you need internet.
    90% of smart TV has WiFi or maybe even 99%.

3. You can record, timeshift etc if your TV has Hard Drive (the vast majority of receivers do not have a built-in hard drive). You do not need internet to record programs. You can add Hard Drive (HDD) to your TV and connect them to USB socket on TV.

Smart TV connected to internet gives you access to catch up tv services like BBC iPlayer, itv Hub ect.
    Last edited by goral; 14-01-2020 at 7:43 AM.
    • goral
    • By goral 14th Jan 20, 8:00 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    goral
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:00 AM
    • 14th Jan 20, 8:00 AM
    FTTP is just a connection to your property. It's up to you whether you have a phone connection or not, your bigger problem is finding a decent range of Internet providers.

We have FTTP and so far only BT or Sky are able to provide us with a service.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    Smal problem with FTTP is with availability, at this time only VM give you FTTP if you are in the area where they are.
    BT they just started doing it, and probably take years to cover with FTTP 90% premises. (for my knowledge BT cover just below 20% of premises)
    I'm not surprise that BT ask for 12k to connect your house to FTTP.

FTTC - is fiber to cabinet, and from cabinet to your house is still copper. And, yes you need phone line.
    • J B
    • By J B 14th Jan 20, 2:34 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    J B
    Smart TV connected to internet gives you access to catch up tv services like BBC iPlayer, itv Hub ect.
    Originally posted by goral

But, on some older smart TVs, like mine, it's no longer possible to use the 'new' C5 catch up service as I'm unable to download the new 'app'
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Jan 20, 2:54 PM
    • 13,666 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    That is a problem no updates for some TVs.
    VM do not supply 90% of premise .

BT did not charge me to connect to FTTP .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 14-01-2020 at 2:58 PM.
    • goral
    • By goral 14th Jan 20, 3:09 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    goral
    But, on some older smart TVs, like mine, it's no longer possible to use the 'new' C5 catch up service as I'm unable to download the new 'app'
    Originally posted by J B
    What TV you have?
    • goral
    • By goral 14th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    goral
    That is a problem no updates for some TVs.
    VM do not supply 90% of premise .

BT did not charge me to connect to FTTP .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    VM supply 100% premise in they area (not whole UK).
    For BT to supply 90% premises in UK with FTTP will take around 10+ years.
    Especially under this government.

You have only 2 cables outside, one is belong to VM ond other to Openreach - which is part of bt.
    all ISP except VM (with very small exception) use Openreach (BT).
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Jan 20, 4:25 PM
    • 13,666 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    (VM supply 100% premise in they area (not whole UK).)

Yes if you add in they area to original misleading statement .

< For BT to supply 90% premises in UK with FTTP will take around 10+ years.>
    But that is not the same as VM supplying 40% of the nation .
    Plus BT FTTP is rolling out much faster than you claim .22000 every week so far .

Sorry your posts make little sense .
    • goral
    • By goral 14th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    goral
    Sorry your posts make little sense .
    Is my English. I'm still learning and believe me is not easy.
    I'm more technical and science than linguistic.
    • J B
    • By J B 14th Jan 20, 8:56 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    J B
    What TV you have?
    Originally posted by goral

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6076478
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter