Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kaggi
    • By kaggi 8th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 48Thanks
    kaggi
    0 WOW
    Catering costs for a party
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Catering costs for a party 8th Jan 20 at 10:06 PM
    Iím arranging a surprise party in in our local village hall for my husband and as itís a surprise for about 100 people I just wonít be able to cater it myself. Ideally Iíd like a snack van outside doing rolls & sausage and rolls & egg, baked potatoes, street food etc. Instead of a buffet, or the dreaded trays of lasagne and ratatouille. But, Iíve no idea how much this is likely to cost, or even if itís the best option. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    • 12,543 Posts
    • 33,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Kat78MFW
    • By Kat78MFW 8th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Kat78MFW
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    No idea how much they cost but how about a hog roast or I wonder if you can hire someone that brings a mobile pizza oven. You'll be able to enjoy the party so much more if someone else is sorting the food for you. Even catering for smaller numbers, around 40, I have found myself being tucked away in the kitchen for most of the event.
    Current mortgage (March 19) £54 943 (5yr fix since Jan 18 Interest Only 1.99%)
    Current monthly payment £799 (£109 interest and £690 repayment)
    Current Mortgage Free Date March 2025
    Opening mortgage balance June 2002 - £114 000
    Re-mortgage May 2007 £118 000 (borrowed extra £14 000 to pay loan back to BIL+SIL)
    Agreed repayment date May 2027
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 8,322 Posts
    • 55,049 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:26 PM
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.

There's a very good vegan van called The Hogless Roast, absolutely delicious even if you're not vegan. I know it won't float everyone's boat but just a recommendation.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kaggi
    • By kaggi 9th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kaggi
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 6:35 PM
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Thanks but I donít want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really donít want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    • 8,612 Posts
    • 7,225 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    The downside with a single takeaway fast food van is everyone expects to eat at once.

As I have experienced you can't get a variety of food out fast enough to cater for 100 over a short period.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 12,543 Posts
    • 33,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:17 PM
    Thanks but I donít want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really donít want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.
    Originally posted by kaggi
    Have a look here for quotes

https://www.addtoevent.co.uk/listings/food-vans

However, as pointed out, don't expect everyone to be fed at once

You may be better off getting someone local to come in and cater for you, choosing a menu that allows for 100 to be fed at the same time
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 9th Jan 20, 9:23 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 81,550 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Jan 20, 9:23 PM
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 11th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 11th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    • 11th Jan 20, 8:08 PM
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • kaggi
    • By kaggi 13th Jan 20, 6:48 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kaggi
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?
    Originally posted by suejb2
    We did that for my mums 70th and it worked well so donít want to do the same thing, especially when my husband isnít hugely fond of pizza. But thanks for the idea.
    • kaggi
    • By kaggi 13th Jan 20, 6:50 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kaggi
    I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Your family sounds like mine. In the immediate family we have 3 veggies, a coeliac, one lactose intolerant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

508Posts Today

6,423Users online

Martin's Twitter