Oak Windows or Wood grain finish on Plastic

Options
I am in the process of getting my full house double glazed and we are looking for a wooden effect on our windows as our property is an old property

We are thinking of Oak window frames but have been told by quite a few people that they are very expensive and we can do a Wood grain finish on plastic double glazing to get the same effect.

I was wondering if anyone has done on either of these and what their experience is
Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx

Comments

• pka_2
    pka_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I personally can't stand wood effect on plastic, I think it looks carp. If you want it to look like oak, go for oak.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    please do not paint your frames buy oak upvc frames they dont cost that much more
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    pka wrote: »
    I personally can't stand wood effect on plastic, I think it looks carp. If you want it to look like oak, go for oak.
    why is it that this forum is now becoming a forum where people feel the need to put other peoples ideas down
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • pka_2
    Options
    why is it that this forum is now becoming a forum where people feel the need to put other peoples ideas down
    They are asking what other peoples experiences are. In my experience(opinion), wood effect PVC doesn't look very nice. I would rather just have plain PVC if i couldn't afford the proper Oak. Not putting their idea down, just offering my opinion :)
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had 3 people come round so far to give me a quote on replacing windows, no doors as we want to keep the original doors.

All have said to me oak would be an expensice job, we have got 10 windows that need to be replaced including a bay window which has 3 sides and is 4 windows in total

Height of the windows varies from 1.80m upstairs to 2.20m downstairs (very big windows)

none have come back to me with a price as of yet but they are getting back to me in the next few days with quotes but all of them said Oak would be an expensive job so I just got wondering
  • pka_2
    Options
    Ask the guys that are giving you quotes if there are any properties near by which they have fitted the Oak effect UPVC in. That way you can do a drive by and decide whether or not you like them or if you think the extra outlay for the actual Oak frames will be worth it
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    the op asks for the opinion on oak upvc or painting to look like oak not whether you think oak upvc looks crap which was your response
  • pka_2
    Options
    the op asks for the opinion on oak upvc or painting to look like oak not whether you think oak upvc looks crap which was your response
    No I think the OP asked whether to get oak frames or upvc oak effect when they get all their windows changed to double glazed units. I think the oak would be the better option if they can afford it and this is what i meant by my original response
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just realised myself that my question was worded wrong, I meant either OAK upvc windows or OAK windows

I would definately not be painting the frames as that would in my opinion make it look cheap, I was thinking more of the physical oak frames would be a lot more expensive and would require a lot more upkeep due to the wood and the weather

Thanks for all your replies
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    uPVC windows will always require less maintenance than wood, and will almost invariably be quite a bit less money than wood.

When I came to replace my original windows with DG ones, I wanted wood, but couldn't afford it and didn't want the hassle of maintaining them. Briefly considered aluminium ones to give the colour effect I wanted through painting, but eventually went back to the uPVC choice.

I completely agree with the poster who suggested that you look at a property where the oak effect uPVC have been installed. I have seen some which look really cheap and nasty, and not really like wood at all. If you have paid a lot of money for windows, you want to be sure that they look like what you expected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure