Any halp for disabled person needing new mattress and chair but no money?? :(

Options

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't know what your disability is but is there a charity linked to it?

Example I have ms so i have the MS Society to go to for grants (not that they have helped me)

and you can get things VAT free if you can prove it's disabled related which sounds like it is.

But we just got a new mattress, both of us were in a lot of pain as it was over 10 years old, on amazon and the mattress came from China, we bought it and then emailed the company who happily without proof knocked off the VAT as you will find they don't like paying tax etc, so we go the mattress about £40 cheaper but it was something.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Please don't just buy a memory foam mattress unless you've previously slept on one. We've occasionally come across them in hotels, and DH practically melts.

When they first came out I read that they're not suitable for people with back problems, I don't know if newer ones are different.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    When they first came out I read that they're not suitable for people with back problems, I don't know if newer ones are different.
    Can't comment on that: I find them comfortable but too hot, DH barely sleeps because he is too hot.

BTW the idea of contacting any support organisations relating to the OP's disability is a good one.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    I don't know what your disability is but is there a charity linked to it?

Example I have ms so i have the MS Society to go to for grants (not that they have helped me)

and you can get things VAT free if you can prove it's disabled related which sounds like it is.

But we just got a new mattress, both of us were in a lot of pain as it was over 10 years old, on amazon and the mattress came from China, we bought it and then emailed the company who happily without proof knocked off the VAT as you will find they don't like paying tax etc, so we go the mattress about £40 cheaper but it was something.

A standard mattress is not tax exempt. What you did was tax evasion.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely do an SOA. Your PIP should pay towards both of these things so if you can cut down in other ways then that's it sorted.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A standard mattress is not tax exempt. What you did was tax evasion.

We told the company I was disabled which I am, and said that as it was for my use which it is, would it be VAT free. The company said yes and deducted it from costs.

What I did was ask a question, It's up to the company to decide what they want to do. We never forced anyone to do anything illegal.

Back under your bridge Boris
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I have back problems and I love my memory foam mattress. The times I experience the most pain is when I'm on holiday and have to revert to a standard sprung mattress. I've also never had any problems with them being too hot.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    We told the company I was disabled which I am, and said that as it was for my use which it is, would it be VAT free. The company said yes and deducted it from costs.

What I did was ask a question, It's up to the company to decide what they want to do. We never forced anyone to do anything illegal.

Back under your bridge Boris
    If you have a disability then you can get the VAT off adjustable beds. Standard mattresses wouldn't apply.

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/Lib/Downloads/hm-revenue-and-customs-vat-relief.pdf

My dad has an adjustable bed and he got it VAT exempt because of his digestive difficulties which require him to sleep upright.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I've also never had any problems with them being too hot.
    I fully accept that not everyone will have that problem. DH has a tendency to overheat.

I'd just hate for the OP to buy memory foam and find it was completely unsuitable for either her or her OH. I know you should never buy a mattress without trying it first anyway, but a) that may be tricky and b) I'm not sure the overheating issue would have arisen if DH had lain on a mattress in a shop for an hour or so.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport