Private parking ticket - changing address

codan84
codan84 Posts: 26 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
I have a parking ticket from Excel Parking Services Ltd (so not a ticket, but rather an invoice).
I have disputed it with them in the past, even complained to SRA about Wright Hassall. After the complaint they haven't contacted me for over 2 years (since 01/03/2016). Now they started chasing me again, this time using different company: bwlegal.
I got the letter only because I still had a Royal Mail redirection of all mail from my old address. But otherwise I wouldn't get this letter - or any further communication.
So my question is - is it my responsibility to update my address with Excel Parking Services Ltd? Or is it their responsibility to find out where I live?
At the end of the day I would have to update them with my new address for 7 years until the invoice is outdated.
Thanks for your help.
Dan

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not your responsibility, but debt collectors are pretty good at tracking people down.
  • codan84
    Wouldn't they use the fact that I do not reply to their letters to take the matter to court? Despite the fact I don't live at the address they are writing to any more...
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You run the risk of them getting a ccj against you without your knowledge.

Then having your credit rating ruined.

Notify them, get proof of posting and keep a copy in your file!
  • codan84
    Thanks, will do that just in case :)
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Yeah if you don't respond they'll try to get a default win at court.

Write to excel and bwlegal, saying that whilst you continue to deny any liability, you don't want them filing a claim to the wrong address (which they have form for). Give them the new address and point out that you're keeping a copy of the letter with proof of postage to show a judge that they were notified.

Then keep an eye on your credit report and get on with your life :)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This place really needs a dedicated parking tickets sub forum.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    waamo wrote: »
    This place really needs a dedicated parking tickets sub forum.

Especially as the OP already has a thread on what looks like the same ticket in it?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5400017

Asking for help/advice in this forum is quite futile!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    codan84 wrote: »
    So my question is - is it my responsibility to update my address with Excel Parking Services Ltd?

As a debtor which you are because you have an invoice you've not paid, it is your responsibility to update the creditor of your address. The creditor is only legally required to send correspondence and to issue legal proceedings at the last address they have on file for you. They aren't required to go hunting for you.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    They'll find you pretty quickly after they've got the ccj from the old address, though.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    As a debtor which you are because you have an invoice you've not paid, it is your responsibility to update the creditor of your address. The creditor is only legally required to send correspondence and to issue legal proceedings at the last address they have on file for you. They aren't required to go hunting for you.

I don’t agree with this. A parking ticket is not a debt, the OP have no agreement with parking company. This however won’t stop the ‘fraud’ companies from getting a default ccj once they noticed he has not replied for a while. This is exactly what happened to me. The cost to set the ccj aside was only slightly below what they claimed so I chose to pay it within 1 month rather than waste time fighting it. The court system is essentially abused by this companies to collect unfair and unenforceable debts. The government really need to stop awarding default judgements for this type of debt.

So while not exactly a debt, the best advice is to notify them as already advised and keep the letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure