Any tips on cutting a cats claws?

Options
2»

Comments

• Iamzee
    Iamzee Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how young or old the cat is. Patience is the key. Introduce the tool but don't useit the first time. Once it gets the feel it will not harm him after introducing it a few times, that's the time you cut the claws.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    lizziebabe wrote: »
    Sometimes there is a Veterinary nurse in a practice that will do this at much less cost than seeing the vet. Sometimes it doesn't cost at all! Perhaps worth checking. :)

We had our two's done by the vet nurse. It was indeed cheaper than seeing the vet.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm surprised a Vet in this country would do it. Despite the damage to are stair carpet (fortunately few attacks now), it not something I would consider. Cats need their claws (and be confident in them) to defend themselves, be it against dogs, foxes or other cats.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »
    I'm surprised a Vet in this country would do it. Despite the damage to are stair carpet (fortunately few attacks now), it not something I would consider. Cats need their claws (and be confident in them) to defend themselves, be it against dogs, foxes or other cats.

Claw trimming (predominantly indoor cats and dogs may not wear their claws down naturally) is not the same as de-clawing.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mystikori wrote: »
    I'm going to be no help at all ... I just wanted to gloat about how lucky I am with my 2 moglets!!! I've had them both since 12 weeks of age and from that time I've flipped them onto their backs on my lap and cut their claws ..it takes me about 30 seconds to cut all 4 paws, no blood or armour or deviousness needed :D;) All you guys have my utmost respect for the various ways kitty gets claw clipped!

Same here :j
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Well after multiple failed attempts at home, using the purrito approach, waiting for him to be in a deep sleep, bribery with dreamies etc I gave up and took him to the vets.

Who also failed. He's probably on a wall of shame at the vets now.
    He's looking very pleased with himself.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I gave up and took him to the vets.

Who also failed. He's probably on a wall of shame at the vets now.
    He's looking very pleased with himself.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure