PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbour - Not sure what to do next

Comments

• Thanks.

The ironic thing about this whole situation is that we are civil to one another. However, regardless of what I say to them about the situation, it goes unheeded in any resolve of the issue, and then starts to become 'he's whinging again'. Unfortunately, the more you keep on about it without any resolve, the more the tables start to turn on me as being the bad guy, and them claiming they are being victimised. So, I have had to tread a fine line between speaking directly to them, and complaining to the council, in order for me to retain some weight to my argument. That's my feeling anyway.

They told me they don't want carpet because it'll get covered in fleas, from animals that they shouldn't have their in the first place! lol
  • Just came across this regarding pets allowed in Cornwall council property.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/23340345/pets-animal-policy-dec-16.pdf

My and their property would be classified as "Houses, Flats, bungalows with self- contained gardens", I believe.

I'm not sure what to make of that, seems they have more favourable terms with regards to animals. They have 2 dogs and 5 cats (last got told 5 cats by him, about a month ago).

Also found this regarding noise nuisance. https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/housing/council-housing/anti-social-behaviour/#noise

They don't seem to appreciate that the regular thuds / boom both day and night are a disturbance, they appear to only concerned about the type of noise that is loud and for a period time, i.e. Playing loud music.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 12:18PM
    Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    They told me they don't want carpet because it'll get covered in fleas, from animals that they shouldn't have their in the first place! lol

I was just waiting for this! I really do sympathise, Jimmy_Boy, as we are in a very similar situation, without the animals. To call the vile chav we live next door to an animal is to insult all animals. IMO, she is lower than fleas and ticks; they have no choice but to be parasites, she does.

We used recordings made on our own equipment which the council had no problem accepting as evidence. Although the nature of the noise was rather different in the main, there was/is plenty of thundering about and crashing into things in there as well. Perhaps your council has other criteria but noise is noise, I would have thought. At least, if they are tenants, they might leave one day.

Have you considered contacting the RSPCA and saying you are concerned about all these animals being forced to live in a flat? Do these tenants take the dogs for walks, ever? Do the cats have access to the outside? Have you seen them? Do they look healthy or mangy and half-starved? If the carpet would "get covered in fleas" do they even treat their animals for such? Neglect is now a criminal offence; the RSPCA fought for years to bring about a change in legislation to make it so.

Really good luck and HTH.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 February 2018 at 12:04PM
    They told me they don't want carpet because it'll get covered in fleas
    Fleas hide in gaps between floorboards and skirting boards and can be prevented or treated. They may prefer hard floors as they are easier to clean. Cat crap?
    Exactly what are they walking on?

Claims of victimisation show that they clearly don't understand the problem they are causing. They need to understand that they are the problem and their current behaviour is selfish. Explain this and the reason for refusing to fit carpets in your formal complaint to show you have tried to solve the problem and the their daft reasoning for refusing carpets.
  • Exactly what are they walking on?

Nothing, which is the problem, just the floorboards (chipboard?) the property was built with. That also means there is a lot of reverberation in their property because of no sound deadening materials, essentially amplifying sounds.
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    I was just waiting for this

Really good luck and HTH.

I think they love animals more than they love people, the dogs are taken for a walk by him, the cats have access to their open kitchen window - so I hear the cats landing when they jump form the kitchen window on to the kitchen floor. I don't think the RSPCA would have any case, as I think they care for them well.

Another point is... the woman upstairs, who to be completely honest I think is the main issue as she is the heavy walker and she is the one up through the night - she never goes out, never, she is up there 24/7/365. What a life!?!?
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Your living next to council tenants who don't give a damn.

Get out of there, that's the only solution.
  • Norman_Castle
    Nothing, which is the problem, just the floorboards (chipboard?) the property was built with. That also means there is a lot of reverberation in their property because of no sound deadening materials, essentially amplifying sounds.
    That is a major problem that the landlord should understand. Laminate flooring on foam underlay would be an improvement. Its ridiculous that landlords reject laminate flooring but allow floors to be left uncovered.

Landlords often consider walking on the floor as normal noise and acceptable which it would be if carpets with underlay were fitted.
  • Norman_Castle
    Just came across this regarding pets allowed in Cornwall council property.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/23340345/pets-animal-policy-dec-16.pdf

My and their property would be classified as "Houses, Flats, bungalows with self- contained gardens", I believe.

I'm not sure what to make of that, seems they have more favourable terms with regards to animals. They have 2 dogs and 5 cats (last got told 5 cats by him, about a month ago).
    Most flats have communal gardens. Clearly too many cats. Ask the landlord if 2 dogs plus 5 cats is acceptable. I suspect there is a maximum 2 dogs or 2 cats, not 2 of each.
  • So, I queried my tenancy agreement as to why I have stipulations such as no pets, carpet must be fitted, and no noise between 7pm - 11am.

The reply...

I note the attached terms, unfortunately these relate directly to the purchase of your property and are entirely different to the terms and conditions of tenancy. I regret to inform you that there are no stipulations in the tenancy agreement for a tenant to carpet their property and pets are allowed with prior permission. In relation to noise nuisance, proportionate action can be taken against a tenancy based upon the evidence provided, please see related conditions of tenancy below.

4.3 You or any other person living in or visiting your home must not cause nuisance, annoyance or
    disturbance to any other person. Examples of nuisance, annoyance or disturbance include (but are
    not exclusive): loud music; arguing; door slamming; dog barking and fouling; rowdy or offensive
    behaviour; selling drugs or drug abuse; rubbish dumping; and extremely untidy gardens.

4.10 You or any other person living in or visiting your home must not keep any animal that we decide
    is unsuitable for your home. Ask your local housing office if you are in any doubt. Your pet or
    pets must not annoy or frighten other people. In cases of cruelty to animals, permission to keep
    animals will be withdrawn and cases may be reported to the RSPCA or the police.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure