NatWest £125 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I seem to remember on this thread- but pages and pages back- that folk had money blocked by the fraud department and to release it they had to contact that dept.
    No one has mentioned an account being closed- (with or without money in it)
    I assume your friend was on the phone asap?
    Fraud dept: 0800 1615154- certainly suspicious if money blocked in a closed account!
    Customer helpline: 0345 3030 299 Open: M-F8-8, Sat 9-4

Once you have a card reader there isn't a problem transferring money- well not in my experience.
    I have a decent balance in the account (at the moment) so not moving money and leaving £1 behind.
    HTH

For those who don't have inclusive minutes CS: 0800 200400.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Curls2208 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to be registered for online banking for this? I thought I was as I have the App and it works fine. But apparently I'm not 'activated' and need the activation code. Thing is, I'm not in the country for the next few months so can't check my post.

I do however have £1500 in the account and the Mobile banking app. Recon that'll be enough?

Presumably you've received the email telling you your Customer Number? If you read the rest of it, it says that if they have your mobile number, and it seems they do as you've downloaded the app, they will send the Activation code by text. They say within 48 hours but mine took 96 hours to arrive.

The delay was probably due the left hand, which picks the activation code numbers from the tombola drum, not being able to speak to the right hand, which writes the texts, until it was back from its mini break :rotfl:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I seem to remember on this thread- but pages and pages back- that folk had money blocked by the fraud department and to release it they had to contact that dept.
    No one has mentioned an account being closed- (with or without money in it)
    I assume your friend was on the phone asap?
    Fraud dept: 0800 1615154- certainly suspicious if money blocked in a closed account!
    Customer helpline: 0345 3030 299 Open: M-F8-8, Sat 9-4

Once you have a card reader there isn't a problem transferring money- well not in my experience.
    I have a decent balance in the account (at the moment) so not moving money and leaving £1 behind.
    HTH

I must admit that when I read the posts from people who say they've paid £1500 into a brand new account and immediately withdrawn, or tried to withdraw it leaving a 0 balance, I'm not surprised NatWest are blocking the transaction:cool:
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Presumably you've received the email telling you your Customer Number? If you read the rest of it, it says that if they have your mobile number, and it seems they do as you've downloaded the app, they will send the Activation code by text. They say within 48 hours but mine took 96 hours to arrive.

The delay was probably due the left hand, which picks the activation code numbers from the tombola drum, not being able to speak to the right hand, which writes the texts, until it was back from its mini break :rotfl:
    I added a payee via the app this morning and the activation code arrived in seconds.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a way to make a payment when I don't have a NatWest card reader? I do have the debit card and understand that it ought to work with a Nationwide card reader, but since their system knows that I do not yet have one of their card readers it is not giving me the option. Can I get round this?

NatWest has form on this: about ten years ago I had all my savings in one of their ISAs with on-line access. Everything was fine until I wanted to move the money into the stock market -- and it took me about nine months to persuade them to release it!
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    I must admit that when I read the posts from people who say they've paid £1500 into a brand new account and immediately withdrawn, or tried to withdraw it leaving a 0 balance, I'm not surprised NatWest are blocking the transaction:cool:

I must agree; I withdrew the £1500 over the period of a few days in smallish chunks of £400 and £300, so as not to spook the “fraud team” and it seems to have worked okay. :p
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I must agree; I withdrew the £1500 over the period of a few days in smallish chunks of £400 and £300, so as not to spook the “fraud team” and it seems to have worked okay. :p

Paid in £1,500 last Monday and took out 3 x £500 on the same day without having to speak to the "fraud team". Ditto for my wife's a/c.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a way to make a payment when I don't have a NatWest card reader? I do have the debit card and understand that it ought to work with a Nationwide card reader, but since their system knows that I do not yet have one of their card readers it is not giving me the option. Can I get round this?

There's plenty of posts earlier in the thread about this.

1. Order NatWest card reader.
    2. Wait a day or two.
    3. Use Nationwide card reader.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ..but since their system knows that I do not yet have one of their card readers it is not giving me the option. Can I get round this?
    clivep wrote: »
    There's plenty of posts earlier in the thread about this....
    As clivep says.

The only possible alternative approach is to call NatWest and see if you can do a phone banking transfer.

Always worth checking the withdrawal processes before paying money into an account.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • suesie999
    suesie999 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    Options
    My main current account is with Santander, which I have had quite a few years now.

I still have an RBS current account, which I can use but only rarely pay small amounts into ( because its my only local branch so use it to pay in cheques etc, and then transfer to Santander)

My question is that I want to take advantage of the Halifax £125 switch incentive but not sure i want to close off the santander account yet.

Can i still switch over my RBS account, which is active but little used? i did an online chat and they said yes, but wondered if anyone else has done this? I dont have any direct debits out of this account and they said it would be ok. I have had the RBS account since 1978, and did switch from that to Santander. Any advice if this will still work?:o
    "Serious money saving Diva"........................................:p

Whatever the mind can conceive, it can achieve.............:happylove
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family