PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• glad iv found this thread. I do love to sew. One of my targets this year is to create something new each month.

Jan was crocheting face scrunchies.

This month im looking to get my sewing machine back out! Loads of fabric loads of ideas but when ever I have time I cant motivate myself. So hoping reading this will help me.
    Either upcycle a mans shirt or make a couple coin purses is aim for feb.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I actually sewed something for myself... well, not clothes this time! I had a freeby set of fabrics at the show in September, so took one (they're Fat Eighths) and made a little fabric envelope to put my tissues in in my holiday bag. I am reducing plastic, so didn't want to buy another travel pack. I can refil this one with the normal tissues from a box of tissues.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Aldi has FQs?
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Aldi has FQs?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?text=fat%20quarters

In store only now.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • purpleivy
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    purpleivy wrote: »
    made a little fabric envelope to put my tissues in in my holiday bag. I am reducing plastic, so didn't want to buy another travel pack. I can refil this one with the normal tissues from a box of tissues.

I love that idea, I will copy, one for me and some for christmas presents, with bags :D
  • purpleivy
    I can tell you where I went wrong if you like!
    Before turning in the edges that will make the hole, put the right sides together and sew a seam in from each end, about 1 1/2", just so the hole isn't as big and doesn't gape! Then I turned in the front edges (left half inch for these and topstitched. Then couldn't be bothered to get the overlocker out so zigzagged on the machine.

All is not lost, will just handsew shut a little.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I got me a shiny new sewing machine yesterday :j:j

It's so quiet and smooth compared to my clunky old thing. Can't wait to get sewing, although I don't know what to make yet. I've only just finished making cushion covers from some lovely fabric I got in the JL sale, wished I'd have waited!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am actively looking for a new home, always in my mind is space for a sewing room. :D
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've only recently taken up sewing again since my DC brought me a sewing machine for my Birthday last year, so far I have made (drum roll please)............. a pin cushion :o

My question is, as I live in t-shirts would it be possible to make my own? I don't have a pattern but have brought a offcut of stretchy material from fleabay and was going to cannablise(sp) one of my old t-shirts to use as a pattern. If this is too silly an idea I will try and buy a pattern, but any ideas would be most welcome. I don't like the material used today for t shirts as it's too flimsy.

Many thanks x :A
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills