A FSCS query relating to individual funds

Options
I know that client funds invested are kept separate from the platform provider's funds, so you shouldn't need to worry about the £50k FSCS limit if the platform provider goes out of business. However I was wondering if it is safe to have more than £50k invested in any individual fund like for instance a Vanguard Life Strategy fund?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The same principle applies to funds as to platforms. The fund is a separate entity to the company that manages it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At fund level, it is £50k per fund house. Not per fund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    At fund level, it is £50k per fund house. Not per fund.
    Thanks, is Vanguard a fund house? Does that mean if you have over £50k invested with Vanguard, either in one VLS fund, or in a number Vanguard funds, you would only be protected by FSCS up to £50k?
  • Linton
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Thanks, is Vanguard a fund house? Does that mean if you have over £50k invested with Vanguard, either in one VLS fund, or in a number Vanguard funds, you would only be protected by FSCS up to £50k?

Yes.......................
  • Audaxer
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Yes.......................
    That's a bit of a surprise as it seems from this forum that quite a lot of DIY investors have fairly substantial amounts in VLS funds.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's a bit of a surprise as it seems from this forum that quite a lot of DIY investors have fairly substantial amounts in VLS funds.

I guess it depends how you view that risk. I'd think there are more likely risks to worry about before that being an issue. Vanguard are a huge company so even if there was fraud on one fund it would be very unlikely to affect others and FSCS only would be relevant if the company had failed and had no assets.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Audaxer
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    I guess it depends how you view that risk. I'd think there are more likely risks to worry about before that being an issue. Vanguard are a huge company so even if there was fraud on one fund it would be very unlikely to affect others and FSCS only would be relevant if the company had failed and had no assets.
    Is the risk the same as with the platforms providers, i.e. only if there was some sort of fraud? Am I right in thinking that in the unlikely event that the fund house ceased trading, the actual investments in the funds, i.e. the shares and bonds, would still be fully protected and could not be used to pay fund houses debts?
  • Linton
    Options
    Is the risk the same as with the platforms providers, i.e. only if there was some sort of fraud? Am I right in thinking that in the unlikely event that the fund house ceased trading, the actual investments in the funds, i.e. the shares and bonds, would still be fully protected and could not be used to pay fund houses debts?

Yes, though you should use normal caution. Anything available via one of the standard online brokers should be fine, something sold by a cold caller may not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure