Unable to send CHAPS payment for house purchase

Comments

• maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Tony5768 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, first time post here but really need some advice, I'll try and give as much detail as possible.

I recently won £250k so decided to buy a house, everything's gone through and I need to send the money to my solicitor but the issue I have is my bank (lloyds) won't let me send a chaps payment without photo ID, This wouldn't of been an issue a week ago but as I passed my driving test last Friday I don't have any ID as I've had no use for a passport for the last few years, I do however have a photocopy that I had to send off to my solicitor.
    If this wasn't enough stress lloyds have also blocked my online account for suspected fraud (as you can imagine they've done this a few times and I'm getting pretty annoyed about it, and yes, you've guessed it they also won't unblock my account without photo ID
    Does anybody have any ideas on how I can send the money to my solicitor quickly without my photo ID?

Go the passport office and get a same day new passport
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Westie983 wrote: »
    You are able to send 25k by faster payment, but if you need to send more then you will need to send via CHAPs where you have already found you need ID.

It's £20k per day with Lloyds (as we were informed 2 days ago), obviously not for OP with a blocked a/c.

CHAPS we were told would cost £30 for each transfer (2x £50k), no mention of a photo ID, just our debit or credit card required.

Their suggestion if I didn't want to cough up £60 charge or spend 5 days transferring the funds (& risk getting my a/blocked for suspcious money movement), was "write a cheque".
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    It's £20k per day with Lloyds
    I wonder why they say it's £25k all over their web site ...
  • SevenOfNine
    I wonder why they say it's £25k all over their web site ...

Me to......
  • I would suggest the OP does not have a cheque book.
    As the account is currently blocked then no payments can be made through any channel at all.
    He will have to wait until the account is unblocked - this will give him time to obtain the id required.

(To the poster who was told that a CHAPS charge of £30 x 2 max £50k each? you have been given wrong information IMO - IF funds were held in two accounts you would transfer sufficient into one Lloyds account and transfer the amount in one sum - there is no maximum for CHAPS payment)
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's £20k per day with Lloyds (as we were informed 2 days ago), obviously not for OP with a blocked a/c.

Its 25k, If you want to be sure, you check Lloyds bank webpage, click under payment limits, but to save you having to do the search I will link it for you...

No need to apologise but you are wrong.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/online-banking/benefits-online-banking/view-pay-your-bills.asp#collapse3-1438975318612
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • SevenOfNine
    Thanks Westie, I wasn't going to apologise as I did write "as we were informed 2 days ago". I found the info after #14 PeacefulWaters politely informed me it was all over the Lloyds website - quite right, it is.

Pity the bank staff don't seem to know! She even said it as "£20k per day spread over 5 days, & hopefully your account won't be blocked for suspicious activity"!

Thanks JonesMUFC - I think I misled you somewhat. We're sorting out moving £100k from our Lloyds joint bank a/c into 2 separate accounts, £50k each for our 2 grandsons. 2 separate CHAPS transactions @ £30 each.

I think I might resort to our good old fashioned cheque book.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    @SevenOfNine...I hope your grandsons realise what wonderful grandparents they have.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • SevenOfNine
    Thanks Shakin Steve - but TBH our younger son died just over a year ago without a Will & no wife/children. By default, as parents, his estate landed in our lap (though thankfully he'd nominated his brother for £273K pension/service benefit). We just need to do the right thing, what we know for sure he'd have wanted, & pass the bulk of what we inherited on to his nephews (our grandsons age 7 & 8).
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    TBH I know what I am about to say is going to upset you but I have to say hats off to Lloyds for being so strict. Banks get a lot of flack but in this case I agree. £250,000 is a lot of money and it is good that they want to make sure that it is you who is spending it and not someone you has gained access to your computer/ online banking details.

I know that this is a pain but it is better that you have to jump through a few hoops than some horrible person be able to commit fraud.

As previous post said write a cheque

P.s SevenofNine so sorry for your loss.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills