taking responsibilty to get me where I want to be

Comments

• Been picking up a lot on others diaries that they do paid surveys

Does anyone have any links ~
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've tried prolific academic - they're a bit more spread out but pay better. I've made £6.10 from 2 surveys today (£2.10 confirmed and £4 pending) but need to get to £20 in order to cash out.

https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=9H76X93B
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Thanks Nellie Pie - Will absolutely look in to these
  • You wait all month for a salary replenishment and when it arrives it vanishes so quickly !!

Yesterday my son approached me to tell me he isn't sure he has enough money to see him through until his uni payment in September - he has an emergancy fund which came from a saving scheme since he was a baby and needed to dip in to this when he had to pay next years rent up front , but he knows he will be expected to return at least some of this when he is able too ( its a ball ache having to pay before the grants arrive as he is always chasing his tail)
    He also has a part time job for the summer but its at a local venue which is very much dependant on good weather so he can get rained off and as yet he hasn't had a pay day.
    Hes a bit like his mum and doesn't always manage his money well but this is the first time he has approach for general living - he wanted to take some cash from his EF but didn't want to approach his dad who is in control of this as he would get a rollicking

I have told him , I need him to sit down and make a budget planner listing everything that is coming in and when and everything that is going out and when so that he can have a clear vision of his forthcoming expenditure and what funds he will available to him - He has a little weekend booked with his friends and this is what he is worried about , that he doesn't have enough funds.
    Having spoken to him , I asked him how much he had and couldn't see why he was concerned as it sounded more then enough , I think he just wanted the buffer.

We have compromised that he doesn't touch his EF for the moment and he does his upmost to manage on what he has however if that isn't possible , I will transfer to his account on the clear understanding that it is returned when the loan comes in and it isn't a gift.

I am not comfortable with him dipping in to his EF and wanted to find another way , as if he takes a £100 here and there for the sake of needing £30 then before he knows it there will be no EF.

Making him sit down and do himself a budget will at least give him an understanding of how he manages the year and what he has available

To be fair in 8 years of my kids going to the uni this is the first time i've ever been asked which it is quite surprising and hopefully his wages will come in and tide him over anyway !

I guess my ramble is that I am trying to encourage good habits in to him instead of easy fixes as that fix will run out

I approached Virgin Media yesterday as they have withdrawn all the UKTV channels so I see this as an oppurtunity to try and get a reduction on my bill whilst I am still in contract - they offered me £3 per month which I have told them to apply but also said it wasnt enough as i would now need to install an aerial to access my mums favorite channels and had i known i would not be getting these i would have done this in the first place and not paid them to install their virgin box etc. it has been escalated to a manager. I am aiming for a credit to cover the initial installation of the equipment which was £40 ( although I got this back by using Quidco)
    I've read some people are managing to leave the contract early but I don't really want to do this as the internet service is the best in the area
  • Not much to report - A night in with the cubs , looking for jobs with my daughter who has just graduated

A little frustrating for both of us but hopefully something will come of it

Day out tomorrow so this evening will be running around like a blue bummed fly and making sure there is plenty of oil and water in my car !
  • To add , today I feel like someone stole the jam out of my doughnut

Thank god its Friday
  • You wait all month for a salary replenishment and when it arrives it vanishes so quickly !!

Yesterday my son approached me to tell me he isn't sure he has enough money to see him through until his uni payment in September - he has an emergancy fund which came from a saving scheme since he was a baby and needed to dip in to this when he had to pay next years rent up front , but he knows he will be expected to return at least some of this when he is able too ( its a ball ache having to pay before the grants arrive as he is always chasing his tail)
    He also has a part time job for the summer but its at a local venue which is very much dependant on good weather so he can get rained off and as yet he hasn't had a pay day.
    Hes a bit like his mum and doesn't always manage his money well but this is the first time he has approach for general living - he wanted to take some cash from his EF but didn't want to approach his dad who is in control of this as he would get a rollicking

I have told him , I need him to sit down and make a budget planner listing everything that is coming in and when and everything that is going out and when so that he can have a clear vision of his forthcoming expenditure and what funds he will available to him - He has a little weekend booked with his friends and this is what he is worried about , that he doesn't have enough funds.
    Having spoken to him , I asked him how much he had and couldn't see why he was concerned as it sounded more then enough , I think he just wanted the buffer.

We have compromised that he doesn't touch his EF for the moment and he does his upmost to manage on what he has however if that isn't possible , I will transfer to his account on the clear understanding that it is returned when the loan comes in and it isn't a gift.

I am not comfortable with him dipping in to his EF and wanted to find another way , as if he takes a £100 here and there for the sake of needing £30 then before he knows it there will be no EF.

Making him sit down and do himself a budget will at least give him an understanding of how he manages the year and what he has available

To be fair in 8 years of my kids going to the uni this is the first time i've ever been asked which it is quite surprising and hopefully his wages will come in and tide him over anyway !

I guess my ramble is that I am trying to encourage good habits in to him instead of easy fixes as that fix will run out

I approached Virgin Media yesterday as they have withdrawn all the UKTV channels so I see this as an oppurtunity to try and get a reduction on my bill whilst I am still in contract - they offered me £3 per month which I have told them to apply but also said it wasnt enough as i would now need to install an aerial to access my mums favorite channels and had i known i would not be getting these i would have done this in the first place and not paid them to install their virgin box etc. it has been escalated to a manager. I am aiming for a credit to cover the initial installation of the equipment which was £40 ( although I got this back by using Quidco)
    I've read some people are managing to leave the contract early but I don't really want to do this as the internet service is the best in the area

Have you had a look at a now tv box you maybe able to access the content there. I will have a look later for you to see if i can access uktv on there.
  • Have you had a look at a now tv box you maybe able to access the content there. I will have a look later for you to see if i can access uktv on there.

Good Call , thank you Scott
    I do have a box at home laying dormant , I didn't find it very user friendly but this is something I can re visit
  • ftbwannabe
    ftbwannabe Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wow, I can't believe directory enquiries is so expensive! Ouch.
    Thanks for the updates. Keep going! And I hope your son finds the budget useful & manages not to wax all his cash on a mates weeknd (the way I always did...I think I'm still paying for some nights out in the 90s)
    I have somehow started smoking again too, I can't believe it. I'm gong to take your non-smoking date too - Monday 8th it is. I still have some nicotine gum from the last time I slipped, I find it does help reduce my murderous feelings. Not as fun as going for a smoke, but way better for us + cheaper.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • ftbwannabe wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe directory enquiries is so expensive! Ouch.
    Thanks for the updates. Keep going! And I hope your son finds the budget useful & manages not to wax all his cash on a mates weeknd (the way I always did...I think I'm still paying for some nights out in the 90s)
    I have somehow started smoking again too, I can't believe it. I'm gong to take your non-smoking date too - Monday 8th it is. I still have some nicotine gum from the last time I slipped, I find it does help reduce my murderous feelings. Not as fun as going for a smoke, but way better for us + cheaper.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend

It will be great to have a companion on board on Monday 6th ......the 8th is weds and my eldest birthday.
    I have my aspire vape which i was getting on great with until "life happened" and also a box of patches and my willpower
    I look at my bank statement and see £8 after £8 going out of the account and then curse myself as I could be doing something much more beneficial with the money
    I don't really want to replace one habit with another but I'm not winning the battle so will take whatever measures I need to get rid of the evil weed.
    Welcome aboard the non smoking mission - we can do this x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure