LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Comments

• lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 3:30PM
    Ok - So I've checked and the Tassimo is currently selling for over £100 :eek: in shops but only around £20 - £30 on Ebay. I'm going to try and sell it on Gumtree and I guess I'll price it at £35 and hope for the best.

I've checked the Polaroid camera as well and I think I can sell it for £20 - £25. I might have to do that on eBay though as I don't think there'll be much interest locally.

Checked prolific and I've got £10.55 there so fingers crossed for some more studies. If I can get to £20 then I can cash out and pay it off the Santander card.

Paid £1.70 off the Santander card so it's now at £1095. Ideally I want to get it down to £1000 before next payday but I really don't think I have enough stuff to sell :( Will see how I get on.

88 days
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • Thought i'd pop over and say hi, have just read through! :hello:

As well as the dentist we have similar views regarding wine, naps, once upon a time and greys anatomy :rotfl:

Well done on everything so far x
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Hi lovely. How are you doing? Haven't posted in here a while so thought I'd pop in. Hope everything is going well on your end.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Just had a quick read...Sorry to hear about Samwise :( it is tough isn't it but think about what a wonderful lovely life you gave him xxx

Well done about the job interview! Hopefully good things will come of it!
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    Hi onedaysomeday! All my favourite things! What good taste we have :cool: I started watching Station 19 yesterday. It's a new Shonda Rhimes show... It seems OKish, but nothing will ever replace Grey's for me! I read that Arizona and April will be leaving the show this season - I'm not too fussed about Arizona but I really have a soft spot for April and am quite concerned what they're going to do to her (I'm so lame).

Silver Queen thanks for your thoughts about about Sam. It was just such a shock! He did definitely have a good life though, especially for a rat. He was my favourite and as a result he got treated like an actual king! I'm quite happy there's only one more left as I don't think my nerves can handle much more :o

Not heard about the assessment centre... Someone was supposed to call with the details but I haven't heard anything and neither has the other guy in my team who applied for it. The lady who interviewed me was off on annual leave this week and someone else was supposed to get in touch so not sure if maybe there's been some crossed wires. We'll see what happens on Monday and if I haven't heard anything I'll give them a call.

MSE wise things are fine... I'm trying to keep myself motivated by looking at flats for sale. Every time I want to buy something I look at flats instead, it's actually working quite well. I just want this whole debt business to be over already :rotfl:

I do seem to be running out of spending money faster than last month somehow. This month I just took most of my spending money/ grocery money out in cash and am thinking maybe this isn't the best way to go for me. Paying by card I think I pay attention more to what I'm doing. I do seem to have an inordinate amount of coins now so will need to sit down and work out how much I actually do have. Am running quite low on spending money so will need to relax with the tesco trips a bit. I really do need to sort out meal plans! It's something that I always say I'm going to do and never end up sticking to.

Off work tomorrow and OH will be working on dissertation all day (hopefully) so I may go out for a walk myself. Need to do laundry and also want to hoover. We have a really light grey carpet in our room and I swear it gets so messy so quick. I regret choosing a light colour as am far too lazy for all this hoovering. I am the least domestic of domestic goddesses :o

84 days
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    Feeling shattered and a bit dejected today. I've felt really, really sad the last week or so. Unsure why but it's kind of all encompassing. Will get out of it but struggling to see any light or positivity at the moment.

Not sure if it's related or not but I've spent money that I haven't budgeted and gone £50 into the HSBC overdraft. Not spent it on anything but food and booze so feeling pretty ashamed.... It's my first big, big slip up and it just feels crummy. I will sort it out when I get paid, I've already rejigged the spreadsheet so it isn't the end of the world but at the same time it does feel like it.

In good MSE news Scotrail currently have some sort of promotion thing where if you have a smartcard and buy another ticket online they will give you £89. So today I got a single ticket for from one station to to the next and submitted the claim online. They give you the money direct onto your payment card not as a credit to your smartcard which is pretty cool. Will take the £50 I !!!!ed up off of that.

Going to see my Dad on Sunday so that will be nice, maybe? We sometimes can have a strained relationship so in two minds about how it will go. I love seeing him but always feel like a bit of a disappointment. Will try and pull myself together for when the time comes. It will be good money wise as it will likely be 3-4 NSDs as we usually just read/ go on walks and watch films.

Did some overtime today for the bank holiday and it's 2.5 x so should be an OK month wagewise.

Unsure where I stand with the new job. Got an email about the assessment centre and it's scheduled for when I'm in England so will need to try and reschedule it. Was speaking to my friend about it again though in person and she really, really didn't like it. I know that what's not for her could be for me... But it's still got me a wee bit nervous.

I also applied for another role. It's basically what I'm doing now but for our more "affluent" customers. Basically means it would almost be the same job but for a lot more money, because the customers have a lot more money. Would be an extra £3000/ £3500 a year but would be going back to fully flexible shifts again which would be difficult. But I could suck it up for a while maybe. Then I could really make inroads into saving a deposit once the debt is gone.

I'm just all over the shop and don't really know what to do. Have been bouncing back and forth but will try and maybe make a pros and cons list and ask my dad for advice.

Looking forward to maybe getting some good weather in the next few weeks. Been snowing heavily here again this evening and I can't hack much more of it! I need some sun and warmth in my life :o

75 days
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    Ok - I'm sorry that was a really negative post. It isn't all doom and gloom. I feel that way in my head but logically it isn't.

Thins I have to be positive about

1. Things are still going well with the debt busting. My total debt will reduce come payday, even with my overdraft hiccup.
    2. My OH is lovely and kind and got my a lovely M&S Easter Egg yesterday and some roses. They egg was/ is very tasty and the flowers smell and look beautiful.
    3. Even if my relationship with my dad can be strained at least he is still here to have a relationship with. I am lucky.
    4. Having different job opportunities is good and there won't be a right or wrong answer.

Chin up.
  • Hi my dear, hope you're ok, it's hard when you just can't shake a bad mood. Hope you feel better now xx
    Total £7,000
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,507
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hope everything is OK,LonelyRat. I think you are down into the 60s now.The days till freedom are shrinking,though it may seem a long time to you. Well done on all your efforts
  • lonelyrat
    Forumite
    Hello again! Sorry for the radio silence. Been a bit in my own head the last few weeks and I was just down visiting my dad for a few days in England there so have been off the grid :cool:

He's keeping well and we had a nice visit, with no head butting about anything which was really lovely. I also didn't spend any money while gone (apart from an airport wine each way :o) which was a big plus! Flights were good nerves wise, but both outbound and return were delayed which wasn't ideal.

Finances as they stand at the moment are pretty low. I have £12.06 in my direct debit account and about £5 in change in my purse. The change should be good to tide me over until payday which may be either Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Even with the bank holiday shift and the overtime I don't think my takehome will have increased by more than £100. Will be able to check on Sunday when payslips are up.

With regards to the job interviews.... I've withdrawn my application for both of them :o It really wasn't the right time. I was getting really anxious and yeah, just wasn't great. I feel a weight has been lifted from me since pulling out. I know it's not great money-wise but I went part time to try and focus on my health (mental AND physical) and I don't feel I'm there yet.

New jobs are always being posted so the plan is to keep at what I'm doing and spend time focusing on my health then, when the time is right, apply for something else. OH will finish University in the next few weeks and in May probably start looking for a job. So that will take some pressure off my wage if he's successful. Even if he has trouble getting something I can support us on my current wage OK at a stretch (again, thanks to his parents letting us stay - honestly don't know what we'd do without them!)

My dad mentioned that when OH starts looking for a job we should consider looking in England where he stays. Might be nice to have a change of scenery/ weather and give OH's parents a break! We'll see when the time comes.

Thanks for checking in Silver Queen and Dusty, I really appreciate it. I am feeling better, it was just a little bit of a blip I think. Happens from time to time and sometimes it's harder to see the light. I've been off MSE for a bit (not even been lurking which isn't like me!) and haven't checked in on any diaries recently so that's my plan of action for tomorrow. Am off work so aim to have a productive day :o

You're right Dusty! 64 days and counting... It's getting close!

On that note I'm not sure if I may change my debt busting plan. I can clear it all in the time frame I aimed for, but it will be tight. I will definitely have the Santander card fully paid off in June BUT I think it may be a bit of a struggle with the Virgin card. I'm toying with the idea of potentially pushing the debt free day back by 2 months, then paying equal amounts off Virgin and into my regular saver to start building up my savings pot. Would mean I would have more of my wage left for unexpected things. This would mean my new debt free date would be 17th August... A whopping 126 days away!

I'm really not decided as of yet. I do like the idea of being debt free in under a year, BUT I also like the idea of not being completely skint and mucking up (like with the overdraft this month) then feeling guilty.

I swear my thoughts bounce around like I'm playing tennis!

Finally got a response from Easyjet about the cancelled flight so have sent that off to the Insurance company and am just waiting to hear back. Should be a cool £265 coming at me in the next few weeks :cool:

Feeling a bit poo as it's my time of the month and this month seems worse than normal. Was getting quite concerned as was actually late by 47 days. Really have no idea what happened and am thinking perhaps need to see a doctor. I'm usually quite regular so was strange when it never turned up. Took a fair few tests but they kept coming back negative so don't know if it was maybe stress related. Since I've been back I've been soliciting back rubs from OH on a regular basis so think he may wish I would go away again :rotfl:

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble from me for now. Am feeling in a more positive headspace so will get back to lurking/ posting more regularly again.

Plans for tomorrow:
    1. Go on walk
    2. Wash and sort laundry
    3. Read and edit OH's dissertation (he managed to get an extension, jammy !!!!!!?!)
    4. Sort out chest of drawers as is, once again, a mess
    5. Go to pet shop to get rat bedding and treats for remaining rat
    6. Message friend who lives abroad as have left her hanging for a few weeks
    7. Check in on diaries and update spreadsheet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts