LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• dustydigger
    Options
    So sorry for the loss of your beloved babies,but it seems like it was the best thing for them.
    So you spent a little money,so what? Dont obsess or feel guilty,you are doing so very well.Check back to your early posts in October and see how far you have come.Take care.Dusty.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Hi Dusty - thanks so much for your kind words. Was feeling a bit down in the dumps but more positive today. It was a decision made with love and for the best I just need to keep thinking about that.

Work was pretty mental today and I was feeling really nauseous (probably thanks to the wine last night). Back in tomorrow at 7 again but am slightly concerned as the amber warning may turn to red. If that's the case I don't think I'll be going in. I can take annual leave or work it back at a 'mutually agreed' later date. We shall see. Would quite like it off as I haven't got myself organised for Copenhagen after all :o I have made a list... I do love a list! I am slightly concerned about travel TO Copenhagen on Thursday. Of course I had to book my first holiday in about 2 years during a snow storm :rotfl:

OH has printed out everything I needed him to print and I've got documents/ passports organised in a clear wallet ready to go. My list is very comprehensive so feeling good about just zooming through it tomorrow.

Tomorrow
    1. Pack
    - handbag
    - suitcase
    2. Clean the rats
    - boys cage
    - ladies cage (once deep cleaned I will email SSPCA and see if they would like it as it's good quality)
    3. Talk to OH dad about feeding them while we are away and sit their food out
    4. Empty fridge of any food likely to go off
    5. Hoover and organise room

109 days
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    I've been up since 5.30 frantically checking the Scotrail app to see if I could get into work. Seems like a no-go. I was meant to be in at 7 but I called them beforehand to say I couldn't make it and the response was "keep trying, we're still open". But the trains are mostly all cancelled... I've been checking but am concerned that even if I do get into Glasgow I'll end up stranded there with no way of getting home. Just trying to get the courage to call again. I get quite bad anxiety on the phone so the fact I'm having to do this twice today is no bueno.

Snow is looking very beautiful. Went and stood in the back garden with a coffee and it's up to my ankles! Enjoying the fact that I have a snow day but also quite worried about our trip tomorrow. We need to get a bus to Edinburgh and quite concerned that it will be cancelled/ flights cancelled. I did technically get insurance but not until a few days ago so not sure where I would stand if everything is cancelled.

Going to give work a call and hope for the best then get cracking on my list for the day.

108 days
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 February 2018 at 11:53AM
    Options
    Texted my line manager in the end - not the correct procedure to follow but called a few times and couldn't get through and thought it would be better to keep him in the loop. He replied saying he can't get in either and just to go home so off I trot :o

Good luck to anyone phoning the bank today :rotfl: No one will be there to take any calls...
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Today
    1. Pack
    - handbag
    - suitcase
    2. Clean the rats
    - boys cage
    - ladies cage
    3. Talk to OH dad about feeding them while we are away and sit their food out
    [STRIKE]4. Empty fridge of any food likely to go off [/STRIKE]
    5. Hoover and organise room
    6. Laundry
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Not looking too good for the flights tomorrow. Edinburgh airport hasn't cancelled everything, unlike Glasgow, but there are a lot of cancellations. The trains won't be running until 10am at the earliest tomorrow and our bus to the airport is at 11. W're going to be cutting it pretty fine as we need to get a train to the bus first.

Going to call CityLink tomorrow morning and ask if the Edinburgh airport buses are running. If they aren't running we may be able to get the train and then a tram to the airport. Will have to just play it by ear and can't make any decisions until we know what it's like tomorrow. Considering I like to be in control I'm not feeling too happy :o

Work finally shut at about 3. They should have taken the decision far before then and people have ended up stranded in Glasgow. One guy has had to get a hotel as he can't get home. My works facebook page is full of customers complaining about people 'not being bothered' to turn up to work and it's making my blood boil a little bit. Everyone I know tried their hardest to get in today, it really isn't our fault that there are unsafe travel conditions.

Hope everyone is safe and warm and enjoy the snow day if you have one tomorrow :o
  • Rachel24
    Options
    I think people can be so selfish lonelyrat. Why should you have to end up stranded etc and travel in unsafe weather all for work! It!!!8217;s one day, not like it happens very often. People can cope for 1 day! Makes me so mad! Customers were like that about my work too, rant over!
    I so hope you make the flight tomorrow, not sure where you stay but I!!!8217;m about an hour away from Edinburgh and I!!!8217;m in red alert currently.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 February 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Hey Rachel24 :) Thanks for the understanding comment! It is so hard working in customer service at times. It's like people forget you're human too which can be tough.

Have you been off work today too? Red alert here as well until 10 tomorrow, about 20 minutes east of Glasgow. Fingers crossed we're OK tomorrow. We'll just see how it goes. If we can't get the bus to Edinburgh then we'll explore the train/ tram route and see if that's an option. OH dad offered to drive us but I really don't want to take him up on that. Far too snowy and he hasn't driven to Edinburgh before so isn't fair on him. I'd be too worried about him getting home as well :o

If we can't go then it isn't the end of the world. Flights would be refunded but hotel isn't refundable... I did technically get us insurance but not until last Sunday so unsure if we would actually be covered. Never had travel insurance before so in the dark a wee bit! If we can't go though I will send a friendly email to the hotel and see if they can sort it for me :o

Today
    [STRIKE]1. Pack
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]- handbag
    - suitcase[/STRIKE]
    2. Clean the rats
    - boys cage
    OH currently playing computer games and I'm a bit of a weakling and can't lift the boys up :rotfl: Once he's finished and come through we'll sort them.
    [STRIKE]- ladies cage
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]3. Talk to OH dad about feeding them while we are away and sit their food out[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]4. Empty fridge of any food likely to go off
    [/STRIKE]5. Hoover and [STRIKE]organise room[/STRIKE]
    Room very clean and tidy but not hoovered. Feel it's a bit late now so will see how I feel tomorrow. Not the end of the world if it doesn't get done.
    [STRIKE]6. Laundry
    [/STRIKE]
    Sitting in bed watching TV feeling very tired. It's been a stressful day and I haven't even done much :eek: I feel a cold coming on out of the blue which is a bit pants. We went for a walk to the shops for OH mum earlier and I think I've got a chill. Silly me :o May be allergies though as I still have the lilies from Valentines day and they could be making me snuffle. Going to move them out the room and into the hall and see if I improve.
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been wondering about your situation since I woke up.Lonelyrat. Rushed down to look at the weather forecasts and its all dire! Fingers crossed. You have planned and saved and looked forward to this break for so long,its a shame things are so tough.:(:(
    Nasty old Beast from the East. :mad::mad:
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope your holiday still goes ahead.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills