Why 2 HSBC apps?

When i switched to HSBC they said i needed to download their app as part of the switching process (& log in) and they did it for me on my phone - downloading the app with the icon you see on the right here:

41zUdYN.jpg

Now i've had a message recently saying this will need to be updated by such -&-such a date so i looked in the Apple Store to download it to my actual iTunes folder on my PC & that's when i saw another HSBC app that has better ratings.

Why the 2 apps? I assume they're pretty much the same?

Comments

• Savings1234
    Savings1234 Posts: 73
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You should use the hsbc UK mobile banking app and remove the other one. The uk app is the new one and it has a lot more features on it.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You should use the hsbc UK mobile banking app and remove the other one. The uk app is the new one and it has a lot more features on it.
    Such as?

Do they still have the same annoying system of logging in? Once my 12 months is up & i get the remainder of that switch money i may jump ship because i think the HSBC online banking system is pretty prehistoric. It's not as bad as First Direct (same group i know) but it's one of the worst i've experienced.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Touch ID login on the UK one for starters.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've just checked which one I'm using on Android, it's called 'HSBC mobile banking', 3.4* rating, can do all I need with both my UK and S'pore accounts. Seems to work well and good security with the secure keys.

I see another one available - 'HSBC UK Mobile Banking' with a rating of 2.7* and a litany of complaints - don't think I'll switch to that...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    what stupid bank has 2 apps...
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The app that says UK is for UK only. The other app lets you access HSBC accounts in other countries as well, if you have any.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Having made the switch i've found a problem - this new app doesn't generate you a log on code to access your accounts on a PC.
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mine gives me the option to generate a digital secure key.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,086
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They told me the UK app was created as part of the "ring fencing" requirements. I suspect it was/is to give them the opportunity to sell the UK retail arm in the future if they want.

Btw, at point of switching, both apps let me generate logon codes? Cant speak for the non "UK" one now, but I used the UK one last week to generate a logon code.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nyermen wrote: »
    They told me the UK app was created as part of the "ring fencing" requirements. I suspect it was/is to give them the opportunity to sell the UK retail arm in the future if they want..

Your suspicions are unfounded. All UK banks have had to ring-fence their UK retail operations from the rest of their business, so HSBC will have needed to have a separate app for their UK retail bank, not an app which they share with the rest of their global businesses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure