Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Does anyone know if the bon appetito waffles were just a recent random offering? Havent found them since and they are dairy free my children liked them.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.

I buy a couple of pots of the plain cottage cheese from Aldi most weeks. I use it on jacket potatoes or on chilli in place of sour cream. It tastes fine to me. :)

I prefer to add my own spring onions or something rather than buy the flavoured ones although I often have to rifle through and tidy up the shelf to find them. :)
  • nerox wrote: »
    Lidl & Aldi cornflakes are both disgusting

not tried myself yet but my dad swears by the co ops cornflakes having tried all the various other own brand versions
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    maman wrote: »
    I buy a couple of pots of the plain cottage cheese from Aldi most weeks. I use it on jacket potatoes or on chilli in place of sour cream. It tastes fine to me. :)

I prefer to add my own spring onions or something rather than buy the flavoured ones although I often have to rifle through and tidy up the shelf to find them. :)

Ironically, having posted this yesterday I went to buy some cottage cheese in Aldi today. It's got new packaging and I'm convinced it's a new supplier.

The cheese is less grainy, much smoother and very creamy. I had some for my lunch and enjoyed it.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I tried the Soyummy Soya Yogurt from Aldi, and it's very good (very similar to the main brand). At 95p for 500ml, it's pretty good VFM, too.

The Vanilla and Blueberry versions both have quite a lot of sugar in them (though the latter will be partly fruit sugars). That's a pity, but the Plain version has all the green traffic lights, as you'd expect.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 February 2019 at 7:24PM
    Couple of random offers at Lidl at the moment:-

- Red or Green Pesto (190g) - 69p

- Whole small Camembert (250g) - 65p
  • A couple of things that I love from Aldi and buy frequently;

- Almond Butter 170g £1.99 (same as Meridian but much cheaper!)
    - Frozen Berries 1kg £2.39 (really good mix as it includes strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrents and blueberries - all the fruit is a good size too)
    - Organic Milk 1.136 ltr £89p (such a good price and lasts really well)
    - Organic eggs 6 pack £1.29 (I try to choose organic animal products only for the potential for higher welfare treatment)

I'm not such a fan of their fruit and veg generally, the quality/freshness has been quite hit and miss.
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    Couple of random offers at Lidl at the moment:-

- Red or Green Pesto (190g) - 69p

- Whole small Camembert (250g) - 65p

Ooh, thanks, I always have one of each pesto in my cupboard.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Dad got me a pack of 4 'mega chew bones' in Aldi yesterday for £1.29
    Nom-nom-nom
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business