Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 9:54 AM
    • 288Posts
    • 303Thanks
    NinjaB
    0 WOW
    Car rental excess cover
    • 23rd Jul 19, 9:54 AM
    0 WOW
    Car rental excess cover 23rd Jul 19 at 9:54 AM
    I have only hired a car once before so not very savvy. I have read Martin's info re excess cover but wondered if anyone had any experience with who might be best to go with. We are hiring with Enterprise and at 19 a day for their excess coverage definately want a stand alone. Only one driver if that makes a difference. We do have to drive up a compacted gravel road and I understand some don't cover. Thanks for helping. I have spent 6 hours reading small print and have got myself in a real stress about deciding. I had thought if I can find the underwriter for theirs that might be a good direction but can't find out who that is. Was hoping for window, tyres and underside cover to be included Thanks
    Last edited by NinjaB; 23-07-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Page 1
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 23rd Jul 19, 11:47 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 23rd Jul 19, 11:47 AM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 11:47 AM
    I have used Questor a couple of times. Fortunately, not had to claim.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 1:00 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:00 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:00 PM
    I have only hired a car once before so not very savvy. I have read Martin's info re excess cover but wondered if anyone had any experience with who might be best to go with. We are hiring with Enterprise and at 19 a day for their excess coverage definately want a stand alone. Only one driver if that makes a difference. We do have to drive up a compacted gravel road and I understand some don't cover. Thanks for helping. I have spent 6 hours reading small print and have got myself in a real stress about deciding. I had thought if I can find the underwriter for theirs that might be a good direction but can't find out who that is. Was hoping for window, tyres and underside cover to be included Thanks
    Originally posted by NinjaB
    Where are you hiring the car?
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 1:04 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NinjaB
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:04 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 1:04 PM
    Where are you hiring the car?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    in the uk perhaps another time in france
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 3:00 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 23rd Jul 19, 3:00 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 3:00 PM
    in the uk perhaps another time in france

https://www.bettersafe.com/car-hire-excess-insurance with https://www.quidco.com/bettersafe/

Exclusion:
    Vehicles rented through any branch of Green Motion
    within the UK.
    https://www.insurance4carhire.com in conjunction with https://www.quidco.com/insurance4carhire-com/ for a reliable annual policy

Make sure that the rental agreement does not exclude driving on compacted gravel roads.
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 4:05 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NinjaB
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:05 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:05 PM
    https://www.bettersafe.com/car-hire-excess-insurance with https://www.quidco.com/bettersafe/

Exclusion:

https://www.insurance4carhire.com in conjunction with https://www.quidco.com/insurance4carhire-com/ for a reliable annual policy

Make sure that the rental agreement does not exclude driving on compacted gravel roads.
    Thanks, it is a pain that my friends live up a very short public road that is compacted gravel. Perhaps I am too paranoid. I realise lots of people drive on country roads that are gravel but I am a bit of a stressing person. I did look at Questor and have read their terms over and over and can't see "unsealed public road" - gravel which is mentioned on page 18 within the actual policy - if ok or not. If anyone is bored enough ... https://policydocuments.s3.amazonaws.com/100/Canopius/GB/10281.pdf
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 23rd Jul 19, 5:58 PM
    • 14,336 Posts
    • 12,574 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 23rd Jul 19, 5:58 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 5:58 PM
    Be aware that the excess cover covers YOU, not the car hire company. A mistake a lot of people make is car hire company says

"You will of course want our (rip-off) excess waiver",
    Punter says "No, I've got that covered with <good value excess insurer>"
    Car hire company says "we don't recognise that, you either take ours or we'll put a 1000 block on your credit card and if there's any damage we'll charge. Or you could pay us just 250 for our excess cover and everything will be fine"
    Punter goes into panic mode and takes out the car hire company's excess policy as well.

Hear that story time and time again here.

Just say no to the car hire companies excess insurance. You don't need to tell them you have a third party excess insurance. They will put a block on your card for a large amount, so make sure you have the headroom on your CC. If something happens, the car hire company charges your card and you claim from the excess insurer. Most are quick payers for what I've read (never had to claim myself).
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    Thanks, it is a pain that my friends live up a very short public road that is compacted gravel. Perhaps I am too paranoid. I realise lots of people drive on country roads that are gravel but I am a bit of a stressing person. I did look at Questor and have read their terms over and over and can't see "unsealed public road" - gravel which is mentioned on page 18 within the actual policy - if ok or not. If anyone is bored enough ... https://policydocuments.s3.amazonaws.com/100/Canopius/GB/10281.pdf
    You misread my post.

I wrote "Make sure that the rental agreement does not exclude driving on compacted gravel roads."

If it does, the excess cover isn't likely to cover you either, as the policy may state that you cannot go outside the rental agreement.
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 7:21 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NinjaB
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:21 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 7:21 PM
    You misread my post.

I wrote "Make sure that the rental agreement does not exclude driving on compacted gravel roads."

If it does, the excess cover isn't likely to cover you either, as the policy may state that you cannot go outside the rental agreement.
    I did misread itin my haste. The policy gives a definition of what an unsealed public road is on page 18 but I can't find it mentioned in the actual policy document anywhere. I think I will read it again tomorrow with fresh eyes
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 7:58 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I did misread itin my haste. The policy gives a definition of what an unsealed public road is on page 18 but I can't find it mentioned in the actual policy document anywhere. I think I will read it again tomorrow with fresh eyes
    Check the Rental agreement,.

Move on from the policy.
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 8:44 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NinjaB
    Check the Rental agreement,.

Move on from the policy.
    from the rental agreement (ix) on unpaved roads, racetracks, and test courses; .... oh dear. Perhaps I shall just park a couple of streets away rather than at their place as other than that will only be on totally normal roads
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 9:21 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    from the rental agreement (ix) on unpaved roads, racetracks, and test courses; .... oh dear. Perhaps I shall just park a couple of streets away rather than at their place as other than that will only be on totally normal roads
    Just drive especially carefully on their road. Don't worry that much unless there are large jutting rocks that are likely to damage the undercarriage. Otherwise speed bumps are more likely to cause damage.
    • NinjaB
    • By NinjaB 23rd Jul 19, 9:27 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NinjaB
    Just drive especially carefully on their road. Don't worry that much unless there are large jutting rocks that are likely to damage the undercarriage. Otherwise speed bumps are more likely to cause damage.
    I know the road was completely redone only 2 months ago professionally and, as they put it, is far smoother and not a pothole in sight unlike the main road it goes onto and they can't understand my worry.

I think I perhaps have overthought this way too much. I really do need a holiday. It sent me into panic mode trying to find another car firm that would cover it. Being honest, I can take it, am I panicking for nothing or would you be searching for another car company in my position? I am sorry for being annoying.

I would phone them but my paranoia is sure they would link me up with the reservation and red flag me
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 23rd Jul 19, 9:56 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    cubegame
    If you knacker the car driving on an unsealed gravel road, don't tell them you drove on an unsealed gravel road. Simples.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 10:23 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I know the road was completely redone only 2 months ago professionally and, as they put it, is far smoother and not a pothole in sight unlike the main road it goes onto and they can't understand my worry.

I think I perhaps have overthought this way too much. I really do need a holiday. It sent me into panic mode trying to find another car firm that would cover it. Being honest, I can take it, am I panicking for nothing or would you be searching for another car company in my position? I am sorry for being annoying.

I would phone them but my paranoia is sure they would link me up with the reservation and red flag me
    I may need to get the Admin to confiscate your username.
    If you are that worried, rent a 4 x 4.

They are covering themselves for serious damage and inconsiderate treatment, not a pebble jumping up and tapping the underside when you are trundling along at 10 MPH. Stop it now.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Jul 19, 5:59 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    eDicky
    they can't understand my worry.
    I'm not surprised - just relax and look forward to an enjoyable holiday..!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

8,718Users online

Martin's Twitter