are smart meters a scam

Comments

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    .... Even worse, your EV smart meter can tell your car to supply energy to your house or the grid, so that's a double whammy. Why do you think government assisted EV charging points now have to have smart meters?

You can rest assured that smart metering won't do you any favours as a consumer.

The use of an EV as a temporary store for the grid is an advantage of smart grid technology. I configure my car to be ready at 8am. During the evening and overnight, the grid can top it up and drain it again as it wishes - provided I get a better deal on my EV kWh in return for them having the privilege of using it that way.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Similarly, half hourly power readings could charge normal rates for 'normal' usage (say up to say 5kW) but apply surcharges when you charge your Tesla at 50kW. And if there's not sufficient generating capacity then load shedding will kick in, so your long journey the next morning won't be possible.

Nor will your early morning tea, or anything else, as current 'smart' meters are all-or-nothing and only load shed by disconnecting your entire house.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Talldave wrote: »
    The use of an EV as a temporary store for the grid is an advantage of smart grid technology. I configure my car to be ready at 8am. During the evening and overnight, the grid can top it up and drain it again as it wishes - provided I get a better deal on my EV kWh in return for them having the privilege of using it that way.

That's fine until you find you have to make an unplanned journey at 4 am and your EV has just supplied its charge to the grid and is sitting powerless.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    As Sir Humphrey would say, that's very brave of you.

I doubt whether the grid will choose to charge EVs in the evening when people are cooking meals, using 3kW kettles, having electric showers, watching TV etc. Smart EV charging will probably be restricted to the traditional E7 overnight hours.

That's fine, until everyone gets up and all the toasters, kettles and showers get switched on, and the grid raids your EV to meet the high demand. Suddenly, your EV's range has shrunk and you won't be making that long journey without an inconvenient and expensive stop for a top up. :(

And what will all those extra charge / discharge cycles do to your battery's capacity after a few years?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 July 2019 at 4:58PM
    It has been confirmed on numerous occasions by various Secretaries of State (e.g. see Hansard from Jan 2012 and Oct 2017) and by Ofgem that no-one will be forced to have a smart meter.

What evidence to the contrary do you have?
    I can give evidence that the original Energy secretary in charge of the commision of the smart meter roll out made smart meters MANDATORY , just like virtually every other country in the world has done
    .This will return at sometime in the near future, it has to because there are too many people like you who have mistakenly been given the choice of selecting what flavour meter , which is not owned by the occupier, is installed in the property .
    Ed Miliband was the Labour energy minister in 2008 who set the roll out in motion with no choices to the occupants to refuse a smart meter or face disconnection.
    I know this for certain because I work for BG as a meter reader and knew how the meter fitters were installing them at a fast rate with absolutely no refusals.everyone accepted them come what may.This was in 2008 and lasted until they lost the election and the Tories messed it up by a weird decision allowing people the choice between smart and dumb .
    He also made yet another massive blunder to ignore what the rest of the world were doing in using the distribution network s to install them, using just one or two similar meter models.
    Uniquely instead he chose to force the Big Six suppliers to be in charge of the installations, and they certainly have inflated the costs by each selecting a mish mash of different meters incompatible with all the other suppliers in some instances..
    This automatically inflated the costs .
    If there is an election this year which sees the Labour government in charge, expect a return to mandatory smart meter installations..Joe Public will have had his moment of glory in ordering the suppliers around
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As Sir Humphrey would say, that's very brave of you.

I doubt whether the grid will choose to charge EVs in the evening when people are cooking meals, using 3kW kettles, having electric showers, watching TV etc. Smart EV charging will probably be restricted to the traditional E7 overnight hours.

That's fine, until everyone gets up and all the toasters, kettles and showers get switched on, and the grid raids your EV to meet the high demand. Suddenly, your EV's range has shrunk and you won't be making that long journey without an inconvenient and expensive stop for a top up. :(

And what will all those extra charge / discharge cycles do to your battery's capacity after a few years?

Battery technology is way ahead of the energy suppliers' ability to do any of this stuff, so it's not something I worry about.

As someone commented on another thread, they have a smart meter but their supplier is still only billing quarterly. We should not underestimate the suppliers' level of incompetence. SMETS1/2 meters will be coming up for replacement long before anything smart happens to our grid!
  • oliverbrown
    oliverbrown Posts: 522 Forumite
    Houbara wrote: »
    If there is an election this year which sees the Labour government in charge, expect a return to mandatory smart meter installations..Joe Public will have had his moment of glory in ordering the suppliers around
    It's actually the politicians who are ordering the suppliers around. I'm someone who wrote to my MP to object to mandatory smart meter installations, and given that they made it optional it would seem I was not the only one.
  • It's actually the politicians who are ordering the suppliers around. I'm someone who wrote to my MP to object to mandatory smart meter installations, and given that they made it optional it would seem I was not the only one.
    They were not optional under the labour government .From 2008 to 2010 when the Tories took over , British Gas were installing thousands of them all around the UK. Now they have installed more smart meters than the rest of the suppliers put together
    BG started installing smart meters in very large numbers years before the foreign suppliers ,EDF, Eon, Npower ,Scottish Power reluctantly got their act together when OFGEM ordered them to get a move on.
    Your complaint would have absolutely no bearing on the issue because just like all the other meters installed in properties and businesses since the dawn of metering, they were mandatory, smart or dumb and BG installing smart meters for those two years met no opposition from the republic. Not once as meter reader for BG did
    I hear any objections at all in my work .
    The Republic of Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal have all either completed the roll out or are well advanced and they were all installed mandatory.
    The UK is the odd one out and they had better get ready to have the right to object to a smart meter ended very soon.
    SMETS1/2 meters now being installed will all stay smart upon switching..so no excuses now are needed
  • oliverbrown
    oliverbrown Posts: 522 Forumite
    Houbara wrote: »
    Your complaint would have absolutely no bearing on the issue
    If my request to my MP, and requests like mine, had "no bearing" on whether smart meters were mandatory, then why did the government make them optional?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 July 2019 at 7:49PM
    If my request to my MP, and requests like mine, had "no bearing" on whether smart meters were mandatory, then why did the government make them optional?
    The new Tory Energy minister was an idiot. He panicked over a few snowflakes making a loud noise.The Germans were also complaining and the Swedes got in on the act as well, but no one else in Europe were concerned
    Its exactly the same with fracking where a tiny number with big mouths try and speak for the rest of us who think its a good idea..
    How come Ed Miliband with the Labour party had no problems with objectors ?. For 2 years whilst labour were in power they were being slotted in at a very fast rate by BG meter fitters without a word of complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure