Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rosieraspberry
    • By rosieraspberry 15th Sep 18, 1:36 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 17Thanks
    rosieraspberry
    A Good Interest Rate On 25k?
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:36 AM
    A Good Interest Rate On 25k? 15th Sep 18 at 1:36 AM
    I have a Tesco savings account that is paying 1.35% but part of it is a promotional rate and it goes down to about 0.65% next month.
    I have around 25k in this account and want to move it the minute the interest rate goes down!
    I am saving for a bigger house which I intend to buy in the near future (within 1.5 yrs) so I need the money to be easily accessible and on the highest interest rate possible.

I don't really want to be opening current accounts as I believe they can have a negative impact on your credit score and it doesn't look good if you open them close to the time you are applying for a mortgage. I already have a Santander 1-2-3 account with 20k in making 1.5% interest so this isn't an option and I have had a Nationwide account that offers 5% interest on up to 2500!

Any suggestions on where to put this money? A lot of the savings accounts on comparison websites you have to already be a customer of the bank/ building society
Page 1
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 15th Sep 18, 2:24 AM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:24 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:24 AM
    If you feel that constrained (or just idle?) you could just open a(nother) Tesco Internet saver paying 1.31% currently.. and transfer the funds to it and you've got another year.

You can have up to 6 of 'em but you can close your old one(s) with a phone call.

Keep a watch - Tesco are always bringing out replacement Int Svrs at different rates.. so don't hang around, grab the 1.31 option.. it'll take two minutes; then you see if you can find something better. .. .
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 15th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    If you think you could give 3 months notice to draw on the money then Secure Trust are giving 1.76% on their 90 day notice accounts (they are a number of other similar deals around and with differing notice periods).

If you want Instant Access then Bank of Cyprus UK are giving 1.36% at moment and it's very straightforward to apply online (I was fortunate with my timing and managed to nab 1.41% that became 1.56% a few days later but that was only around for a couple of days). Both banks I mentioned have the 85k protection by the way.
    Last edited by Shedman; 15-09-2018 at 8:37 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

7,811Users online

Martin's Twitter