Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 690Thanks
    Zarch
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website
    • 22nd May 19, 1:07 PM
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website 22nd May 19 at 1:07 PM
    As many of the regulars know, the Octopus Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about 'Agile' it was a bit limited. ie it didn't show all DNO areas and wasn't complete back to Feb 2018.

So i've written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.
    • All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018).
    • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day's figures.

I've then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
    What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
    Is this stuff useful?
    Could you see this tariff working for you?
    Could a combination of PV / batteries get you mostly over the expensive 4pm to 7pm hump?

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Zarch; 07-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Page 2
    • blanik
    • By blanik 29th Jun 19, 8:11 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    blanik
    go vs agile
    Fantastic website - many thanks.

Just switched to GO, and only have a 7KW PHEV so can topup completely during the 4HR go period - currently (pun) at either 6A or 7.5A using granny charger depending on battery state.

My Gut feeling is that the 5p vs about 10p overnight at the beginning of the year meant GO won hands down, but now that Agile overnight is averaging about 7.5p I'm not sure.

I still think GO is cheaper - given the expensive Agile peak. But what would be fantastic is if I could feed in the API for my meter and your website could do an actual GO vs Agile comparison based on my actual usage - I would even be prepared to pay a small amount for the analysis.
    Last edited by blanik; 29-06-2019 at 8:17 PM.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 29th Jun 19, 8:26 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Comparisons with own usage are going to be very tricky...... not ruling out though..... but could be a whopper of a job. I'm hoping that as Octopus CEO has liked and shared my page he might think of ideas like that himself? Be good to get them baked in to 'my account' on their site?

More crazy Agile prices overnight. Down as low at 1.26p per unit and below 8p through most of tomorrow.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 12th Jul 19, 8:54 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Website update:

As Octopus Energy outgoing tariff (ie the FIT export replacement) tariff is now 2 months old i'm now showing 60 days data from the Agile version of the tariff.

Hopefully more info for those considering moving away from FIT export payments or for new installs needing someone to take their excess generation.

Full details over on the site.
    • thevilla
    • By thevilla 12th Jul 19, 2:33 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    thevilla
    Ifttt
    Looking at this thread got me thinking whether 'If This Then That' (IFTTT.com) has any applets to take advantage of Octopus Agile. Seems it has including alerting low prices and switching on Wemo smart plugs below a specified price.

Hope you don't mind the interruption of the thread. Not too 'off topic' I hope.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 12th Jul 19, 3:35 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Looking at this thread got me thinking whether 'If This Then That' (IFTTT.com) has any applets to take advantage of Octopus Agile. Seems it has including alerting low prices and switching on Wemo smart plugs below a specified price.

Hope you don't mind the interruption of the thread. Not too 'off topic' I hope.
    Originally posted by thevilla
    Yes, the IFTTT stuff is already there.
    https://ifttt.com/agile_octopus

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Jul 19, 1:06 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,104 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I hope you keep us updated on this thread as the tariff meets its first winter.

On another thread I was speculating on how I'd cope without my gas boiler. Thevilla's post has got me thinking too so it looks like I need to look into the possibilities of smart plugs.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 9th Aug 19, 11:52 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Octopus Agile tariff was down as low as 3.1p per unit last night.

Love these occasional super low dips!
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 13th Aug 19, 1:04 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    As their Export tariff (Outgoing) is coming up to 3 months old I've updated the site to show up to 90 days data now.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-outgoing-export/
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 16th Aug 19, 6:22 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Agile pricing down as low at 1.68p per unit at 7am.

They'll be paying us to use it soon!!

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-yorkshire/
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 17th Aug 19, 6:24 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    1.05p per unit coming up overnight..... must be super windy and those turbines meaning lots of surplus energy when most folk don't need it!
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 17th Aug 19, 10:47 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    Following this with interest. I'm on E7 and about 87% of my use over the last year has been off peak, and that should go up to about 95% (or more) over the next year now I have the battery. I only need about 3 or 4 hours off peak at any time to charge up the storage heaters, heat the water, do the laundry etc. So if this tarriff gives me a reasonably reliable 4 hour period the same time each day when rates are cheap it could be good for me. Price to beat is my E7 off peak, currently 4.9p/kWh.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 23rd Aug 19, 6:46 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Zarch
    Following this with interest. I'm on E7 and about 87% of my use over the last year has been off peak, and that should go up to about 95% (or more) over the next year now I have the battery. I only need about 3 or 4 hours off peak at any time to charge up the storage heaters, heat the water, do the laundry etc. So if this tarriff gives me a reasonably reliable 4 hour period the same time each day when rates are cheap it could be good for me. Price to beat is my E7 off peak, currently 4.9p/kWh.
    Originally posted by mmmmikey
    Not sure of your location, so here is Yorkshire data.

This compares their Go Tariff with Agile and shows 00:30 to 04:30 every night for the last year as seen in the first graph.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile-yorkshire/

As you can see, Agile is hitting around 7.5p average, whereas Go is a guaranteed 5p each and every night between 00:30 and 04:30.

The swings and roundabouts is that Go is around 14p flat rate rest of the 20 hours, whereas Agile fluctuates between alsorts like 2p to 10p most of the day and then up to 25p (between 4pm and 7pm)

As you can see in the full 7 day comparison in the second graph.

You just have to find the workflow / usage pattern that bests suits the available tariff.

Hope this helps.
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 23rd Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Not sure of your location, so here is Yorkshire data.

This compares their Go Tariff with Agile and shows 00:30 to 04:30 every night for the last year as seen in the first graph.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile-yorkshire/

As you can see, Agile is hitting around 7.5p average, whereas Go is a guaranteed 5p each and every night between 00:30 and 04:30.

The swings and roundabouts is that Go is around 14p flat rate rest of the 20 hours, whereas Agile fluctuates between alsorts like 2p to 10p most of the day and then up to 25p (between 4pm and 7pm)

As you can see in the full 7 day comparison in the second graph.

You just have to find the workflow / usage pattern that bests suits the available tariff.

Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by Zarch
    I’ve been following this thread with interest as I want to get more out of my batteries during the shoulder months. The Go peak tariff is only marginally more than my current Bulb tariff so I think I’m going to make the switch next month. 4 hours of off peak is just enough to fully charge my batteries @ 3kWh. 10.2 kWh from the batteries plus 2-3kWh from solar should suffice for 6 days a week. Laundry day will still require some peak rate unless I can persuade her to do the ironing between 12.30 & 4.30am.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141) - 30 pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 23rd Aug 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    1961Nick
    Does the Octopus smart meter have a red pulse light?

• Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 23rd Aug 19, 11:15 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    I'm pretty much thinking the same Nick tbh.
    Also on Bulb.
    About to increase the batteries, and thinking it wont solve it for me, but it will help
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 24th Aug 19, 8:15 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    4 hours of off peak is just enough to fully charge my batteries @ 3kWh.
    Originally posted by 1961Nick
    How would you do this? My battery has a minimum SOC of 10%. The day after it was installed it got down to 5% and proceeded to charge itself from the mains up to 15% but ever since it has stopped discharging at 10%. There is a software control that enables me to specify a minimum SOC so if I set this to, say, 90% it might persuade the battery to charge from the mains but I would have to stay up later than usual in order to input the change at half past midnight.
    Reed
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 24th Aug 19, 8:59 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    1961Nick
    How would you do this? My battery has a minimum SOC of 10%. The day after it was installed it got down to 5% and proceeded to charge itself from the mains up to 15% but ever since it has stopped discharging at 10%. There is a software control that enables me to specify a minimum SOC so if I set this to, say, 90% it might persuade the battery to charge from the mains but I would have to stay up later than usual in order to input the change at half past midnight.
    Originally posted by Reed_Richards
    The Sofar ME3000 can be scheduled to charge at a specific time to a desired SOC. During the shoulder months I'd set it to charge for the full duration of the off-peak tariff which should get the batteries to 100% (4hrs x 3kWh)

• 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 24th Aug 19, 10:18 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    1961Nick
    I'm pretty much thinking the same Nick tbh.
    Also on Bulb.
    About to increase the batteries, and thinking it wont solve it for me, but it will help
    Originally posted by Solarchaser
    Would you leave you gas with Bulb?

• Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 24th Aug 19, 10:50 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    I think so, though the idea of more batteries is to do more electric cooking, and have electric hot water, so the only gas needs would be heat.

So I'm not that sure, theres the slight inconvenience of paying two different companies, and there isn't much between them gas wise
    • Solarchaser
    • By Solarchaser 24th Aug 19, 10:57 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Solarchaser
    Actually can I change my answer to yes, I got the figures the wrong way round.
    Octopus is actually cheaper than bulb for gas.
    Bulb is 3.26p/kwh and 19.47p/day standing charge
    Octopus is 3.18p/kwh and 16.8p/day standing charge

That's in southern Scotland
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,916Users online

Martin's Twitter